G4T Promenade Chiang Mai

DGS1244

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, amexpat said:

As posted in the similar thread:

Do people still do this?  Even after reading CM forum?

On the rare occasions when I do it in person it's less than 20 minutes in the afternoon. Mail or online even better. 

But that's all been said many times and people still insist on doing things the hard way or paying someone to waste their time. 

Apparently, doing things the hard way and/or paying money for nothing is still popular.  And they are even smug and proud of it! 

I guess you were very lucky when you went to do you 90 day report.  I have been here many years.. and used to go there and not use the agencies.  I remember once being there at 5am.. waiting to get a number.. only to be told that they had used up all the numbers already and I would have to come back the next morning... where I had to go at 4.30... only to get seen in the AFTERNOON.

For me, I can't drive.  I have to get someone to help me get there.. which means that I have to also waste the time of a friend as well as myself.

Even after the place moved to Prom.. I went a few times to do the 90 day.. and it took up most of the day.  After that I used the agency upstairs and it was fantastic.

I am not being smug about it.  But am sick of hearing people try to make out they enjoy going there so early, and spending the day in that place.

If it was expensive to use the agency, I might go back to lining up early.  But for such a small amount of money it seems the logical choice.

I read on another threat that some people are now going the evening before to start getting in line for a number.  MADNESS.  It's this crazy behaviour that has ruined it for the rest of us.  

I think the immigration office should turn these early lines around and start with the people who turned up LAST.  That way people would start to try to get their as late as they could to get a number lol.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I guess you were very lucky when you went to do you 90 day report.  I have been here many years.. and used to go there and not use the agencies.  I remember once being there at 5am.. waiting to get a number.. only to be told that they had used up all the numbers already and I would have to come back the next morning... where I had to go at 4.30... only to get seen in the AFTERNOON.

For me, I can't drive.  I have to get someone to help me get there.. which means that I have to also waste the time of a friend as well as myself.

Even after the place moved to Prom.. I went a few times to do the 90 day.. and it took up most of the day.  After that I used the agency upstairs and it was fantastic.

I am not being smug about it.  But am sick of hearing people try to make out they enjoy going there so early, and spending the day in that place.

If it was expensive to use the agency, I might go back to lining up early.  But for such a small amount of money it seems the logical choice.

I read on another threat that some people are now going the evening before to start getting in line for a number.  MADNESS.  It's this crazy behaviour that has ruined it for the rest of us.  

I think the immigration office should turn these early lines around and start with the people who turned up LAST.  That way people would start to try to get their as late as they could to get a number lol.

Or you could try online or at least do it by mail?

I was at Prom' yesterday to do 90 day. I normally do it by post but had to be in the area so went in.  1 hour and ten minutes to wait, most of that caused by an overstayer and when that happens all the logbooks and receipt pads have to come out and it takes at least 15 minutes to deal with, i do wish people would behave !

Went on into Rimping etc and all in all can't say it was stressful in any way.

Sadly, G4T is permanently closed. Their office has been taken over by a new agency, OTian, or something like that, which is probably owned by the same people, according to my wife, who recognized one employee.

Instead of charging 3000 baht for a retirement extension, now they are charging 6900 baht. They have the new price list on display at every table. There were a few customers there this afternoon. Upon inquiring, the girl in charge stated that they are at least as fast as the old G4T with very little time to wait.

For me, 3000 baht was already a push. 6900 + 1500 for a single-entry re-entry permit, more for multiple is outrageous.  They are still charging 300 baht for 90-day reports.

I guess I will try waiting in line this year, and if it turns out to be too much, I will move to Lamphun or another more civilized place.

3 minutes ago, PFV said:

Sadly, G4T is permanently closed. Their office has been taken over by a new agency, OTian, or something like that, which is probably owned by the same people, according to my wife, who recognized one employee.

Instead of charging 3000 baht for a retirement extension, now they are charging 6900 baht. They have the new price list on display at every table. There were a few customers there this afternoon. Upon inquiring, the girl in charge stated that they are at least as fast as the old G4T with very little time to wait.

For me, 3000 baht was already a push. 6900 + 1500 for a single-entry re-entry permit, more for multiple is outrageous.  They are still charging 300 baht for 90-day reports.

I guess I will try waiting in line this year, and if it turns out to be too much, I will move to Lamphun or another more civilized place.

I was comfortable with 3000 baht as well but if 6900 + the cost of the multiple re-entry permit is the new price, Guess I'll go back to doing it myself. The service was convenient but I am more than capable of doing it on my own. I only have to go to immigration once a year. Luckily, I am in and out of the country so often I haven't had to do a 90-day report in almost 4 years and my condo does the TM30 online for me. 

David

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I remember once being there at 5am.. waiting to get a number.. only to be told that they had used up all the numbers already and I would have to come back the next morning... where I had to go at 4.30... only to get seen in the AFTERNOON.

There's your problem.  5am is ridiculous.  

Do you read this forum?  How many times do you have to be told that mid afternoon is the time to breeze in and out. No number needed.

Can you make copies and mail a letter?  You might even get the online app to work with the help of a computer literate person. 

7 minutes ago, amexpat said:

There's your problem.  5am is ridiculous.  

Do you read this forum?  How many times do you have to be told that mid afternoon is the time to breeze in and out. No number needed.

Can you make copies and mail a letter?  You might even get the online app to work with the help of a computer literate person. 

Then why did they tell me to come back the next day?

I am afraid to mail the stuff.. in case it gets lost or does not come back.. then I would be late for the 90 day report.

Are you saying you go yourself to do the 90 day in the afternoons and its quick?  When did you last do that?

10 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I am afraid to mail the stuff.. in case it gets lost or does not come back.. then I would be late for the 90 day report.

Are you saying you go yourself to do the 90 day in the afternoons and its quick?  When did you last do that?

When you mail you do it either Registered or EMSyou are given an official,dated  PO receipt.

Delivery is next day.Mail 15 days before due

It has been reported that on the very rare occasion you dont get the Imm receipt back you have proof you did submit it in time  so no fine.

If that happens call them and they will sort it out

After 11 years in CM, thats approx 40 odd 90 day reports I've done by mail, not one has gone astray.Total cost 42 baht each time.

Its quite possible you can also do it online,works for many but not me.

Staying right away from Imm, apart from the once a year for extension, is the route I and others choose ....it really is so simple (pinned thread on what is required at top of page)

25 minutes ago, PFV said:

= 11,900 

Puts them right there with the rest + the inconvenience of driving there multiple times a year.....

The only "advantage" left is a movie or Dukes for a couple hours of processing......

It should be pointed out that sadly, not everyone lives in a place with reliable mail delivery.  They can go to the P.O. to drop off their 90 day report via registered or EMS, but may not receive their receipt.

90 day reports on-line are hit-and miss, but if the system is up, I can bring out the ancient HP laptop loaded with Windows Explorer from the closet, blow off the dust, hope it cranks up and work through the 90 day report.  That's the only thing we use that laptop for now.

But, in person reporting doesn't have to be a pain, if you arrive at 10 am or 2 pm.  Never have to wait more than 20 minutes these days.

On 11/7/2017 at 12:48 PM, Mark1066 said:

As far as agencies go, G4T seem quite respectable: they don't offer any of the financial shortcuts that some other agencies do, they simply help those who are eligible for the extensions they wish to obtain to obtain them a little faster. Not really sure why people get so worked up about them.

Perhaps the reason is: CM Immigration as a government agency should NOT be operating a system that requires its extension of stay customers to queue in the middle of the night (or whatever time it is currently) and then spend 4-6-8???? hours standing around. With no appointments system offered or available.

And, there's at least a reasonable suspicion that the reason they don't seem to have much interest in improving that sorry state of affairs is those behind it may well have a $ interest in pushing people to become customers of a private business that those same certain people probably also benefit from financially.

Doesn't that sound like a pretty good heaping helping of the big "C" word.

5 minutes ago, NancyL said:

But, in person reporting doesn't have to be a pain, if you arrive at 10 am or 2 pm.  Never have to wait more than 20 minutes these days.

not from my experiences    only a few weeks ago   and  i  posted  on  Promenada  thread (top of main page) my  experiences  and was confimed  by a member  ,how it was that day   ,guess you did,nt tread on your cat,s  tail   to have such luck (lol)    BTW will   be  at F/S   next Friday evening, if you want a lovely time  and singing a ditty or two ( if time allows)   a  Micheal Hutchence Good  Nite to  all

1 hour ago, PFV said:

Door is wide open for somebody to come in at 4,500Baht and make a killing.

33 minutes ago, NancyL said:

It should be pointed out that sadly, not everyone lives in a place with reliable mail delivery.  They can go to the P.O. to drop off their 90 day report via registered or EMS, but may not receive their receipt.

90 day reports on-line are hit-and miss, but if the system is up, I can bring out the ancient HP laptop loaded with Windows Explorer from the closet, blow off the dust, hope it cranks up and work through the 90 day report.  That's the only thing we use that laptop for now.

Never heard of any PO not issuing an EMS or registered receipt and we get regular boxes of farm goodies from my wifes family outside in the boon docks of Pichit and Petchabun, next day delivery,sent EMS or registered and they get receipts. Never had a problem with Thai PO services myself over 17 yrs

I agree, I've never had a problem with Thai post, but when I was in the queue this morning, I saw the application forms of some of the other punters.  If they are using their handwriting to address their return envelopes in English, it's no wonder their 90 day reports don't make it home.

2 hours ago, PFV said:

Instead of charging 3000 baht for a retirement extension, now they are charging 6900 baht. They have the new price list on display at every table.

thks for the up date,  greatly appreciated

sure from experience     you will find   the oringnal fee of 3000 baht    did not include  the Immgr Dept     fee   of 1900 baht

so the new  Visa Agent    has loaded up a further 2000 baht    to   5000 baht     ( plus 1900 baht Immgr Dept)   your total of 6900 baht

which from my info     is around the ball park figure     ,         providing the services  etc etc      are Status Quao      my  visa business  etc etc   will  happlily  stay with them   a nice late evening to all

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I agree, I've never had a problem with Thai post, but when I was in the queue this morning, I saw the application forms of some of the other punters.  If they are using their handwriting to address their return envelopes in English, it's no wonder their 90 day reports don't make it home.

2 years ago began using the postal 90 day report service.

The online 90 day system has never worked for me. Tried every way possible but to no avail. I use a post office PO Box address, makes it all much easier. Always addressed my envelope to them in Thai and the return envelope in Thai.

First time, received my new receipt back in 5 days. Brilliant I thought. Second time, the same again.  Third time took 2 weeks to receive my new receipt. Fourth time nothing. Waited 4 weeks still nothing. Visited immigration the old near airport branch. Had to see the middle aged guy with glasses. He really gave me a hard time, cold and curt,  made me hang about for over 2 hours, think he didn`t like my face. Then he issued me a new 90 receipt. That was it for me, I thought never again. As for the yearly retirement extension I am also one of those who could not endure hanging about for hours and hours in that dismal depressing mall.

3000 baht for a stress free yearly extension was well worth the price, it took the sting out the process. Anyway, you was always anti G4T and now it seems we`ll have to pay a very high price for convenience and to make life here just a little bit easier.

17 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

thks for the up date,  greatly appreciated

sure from experience     you will find   the oringnal fee of 3000 baht    did not include  the Immgr Dept     fee   of 1900 baht

so the new  Visa Agent    has loaded up a further 2000 baht    to   5000 baht     ( plus 1900 baht Immgr Dept)   your total of 6900 baht

which from my info     is around the ball park figure     ,         providing the services  etc etc      are Status Quao      my  visa business  etc etc   will  happlily  stay with them   a nice late evening to all

Are you sure? Is the price now 6900 baht plus 1900 baht for visa or is it 6900 inclusive?

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

That would include my left handed scrawl....Was actually voted worst handwriting in HS....

I download & fill in now....

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

I asked at my local post office in Sansai and the manager said it makes no difference at all if  the address is written in English or Thai. He said they do prefer  block caps though.

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I've posted mine for almost 11 years. Never had a problem. What a waste of time going there!

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

I've posted mine for almost 11 years. Never had a problem. What a waste of time going there!

Agreed, and if the 90 day martyrs would stay away, the office would seem a lot more civilized, not too mention those who are trying to live here on TVs and doing  30 day extensions multiple times over the course of a few years.  Thankfully, many get weeded out after a while.  As for G4, a classic case of be careful what you wish for.  We are certainly no better off with it gone.  I was considering the 3000 this year, for the first time ever using an agent, not 5000 though.  Got there at 4 last year and had the stamp well before lunch.  700 an hour tax free?  Do I need as WP for that?  Will be glad when they return to the airport, that will make the TM30 report much easier after a 27 hour flight(s).  I was hoping that with new offices in surrounding provinces and death and attrition, that it would get easier.  It seemed like they were doing a good job of convincing people to leave..the place has really declined.  A number of posters have disappeared.  It is still the best choice for me for a number of reasons, so I will soon be biting the bullet for another extension.  Mosquito repellent, a flashlight, water and snacks....The fact that our consulate inflicts even more misery on Thai visa seekers is of no consolation, whatsoever.  A Thai GF would be about perfect to take back to the states with me and help take care of the folks in a few years.  Could really be a win win situation but the consulate isn't going to let that happen.

Nancy, do you see any declines in numbers at CEC?  Are any now using offices in surrounding province? Or any other indicators that it may be easier?  Sure dies seem quieter over at Tops and KSK and just in general, but still kind if low season.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:57 PM, jak2002003 said:

I thought that place was fantastic.  My 90 day reports were done in less than 30 minutes and the staff were really nice. 

It is a good place for rich customers but not average customers.

All customers are expected to join the queue and not jump queue to be served first just because they have more money than the rest.

It's alright if you pay someone to join the queue and do some paperwork for you but to jump queue is a no-no. There are many outside companies who can assist foreigners to queue up for you.

Sometimes, I notice an immigration officer will disappear somewhere for quite sometime and take exceedingly long to serve one person.

I mean it makes no sense to serve a maximum 25 customers per day for retirement queue or only serve out 30 queue numbers for residence cert.

This month and this year I actually saw the retirement immigration officer working at the table whereas last year, I couldn't see him at all and I have to collect my passport after noon time when he return from somewhere to sign it. I could recognise the same signature on my visa.

This year was when GT4 was closed albeit temporarily. :shock1:

Archived