ryuka bull 175 left wheel /axle problem

retell

Hello since about 6 months i have a ryuka bull 175 3 wheel bike and now it has a problem with the left axle and brake drum 

its completely worn out and from the axle a piece broke off !!

Moddeang won't fix it cos their warranty only covers the engine (( 555 tit) .

but 2 other people in my village with a similar bike of same age have exactly the same problem , so to me it sounds like a bad part and/ or bad assembly , part of the construction is a piece of 1 inch clear tube (5th pic top most right piece)

i will include pics

so are there more people around with a similar problem ? so perhaps when joined we can have a recall and permanent fix for this  

2017-10-15 08.16.13.jpg

2017-10-15 08.16.22.jpg

2017-10-15 08.17.14.jpg

2017-10-15 08.17.30.jpg

2017-10-15 08.17.45.jpg

2017-10-15 08.23.36.jpg

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I don't think you'll find too many here with this 3 wheeler, and I seriously doubt you will be able to force Ryuka into a recall. 

As I see it you have 2 options, get it fixed by yourself, ie permanently weld the broken pieces together,

Or ask the shop where you bought it to order new parts for you. Shouldn't be that expensive anyway.

Good luck

1 hour ago, OmegaRacer said:

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I don't think you'll find too many here with this 3 wheeler, and I seriously doubt you will be able to force Ryuka into a recall. 

As I see it you have 2 options, get it fixed by yourself, ie permanently weld the broken pieces together,

Or ask the shop where you bought it to order new parts for you. Shouldn't be that expensive anyway.

Good luck

i inquire for the parts allready it will be around 800 THb , that is not an issue the money , but i am afraid that after another 3000 KM i will have the same problem again and again , so i need to figure out something to get rid of the cause of the problem , can be only a slightly thicker pen , welding would solve the problem but than i have a problem when have to service the brakes etc.

Why is the other wheel OK?

Looks as if the tapers were not machined or matched properly. Buy the new bits and use emery paper and grinding compound to get the tapers to fit properly. The drum should "ring" onto the shaft without the key in place. You may need to add some washers if the drum sits further onto the shaft.

Edited by VocalNeal

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Why is the other wheel OK?

Looks as if the tapers were not machined or matched properly. Buy the new bits and use emery paper and grinding compound to get the tapers to fit properly. The drum should "ring" onto the shaft without the key in place. You may need to add some washers if the drum sits further onto the shaft.

Looks to me like a straight shaft and that the key was too small. The resultant hammering has lead to the breakage. The key must be a tight fit in both halves of the keyway, If not get one made that does, otherwise it will do the same again.

.....oh and don't waste you time with warranty. In Thailand the word "warranty" is the same as "hello".

Good luck.

Allan is  correct. You may need to make a stepped key with each half matched to its corresponding mating part.

shop_stepkey_155.jpg

It is why mechanical craftsmen the world over are called fitters :smile: They "fit" the parts together.

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Allan is  correct. You may need to make a stepped key with each half matched to its corresponding mating part.

shop_stepkey_155.jpg

It is why mechanical craftsmen the world over are called fitters :smile: They "fit" the parts together.

Yes.......Are you not buying both parts? I would suggest you do.....

My guess is that the assembly guy got a bit too handy with the file when he thought things were a bit tight.

Check the other side for play too, by quickly rotating the wheel in alternate directions and if you get a "click", disassemble. You may be able to save it by fitting a tighter key.

Use a little grease during assembly.

Edited by AllanB

The key should be a nice tight fit the two new parts and can be assembled with just a little lube.

If the key is a little oversized, first gently de-burr the two keyways, then try the key using the other two faces, still won't fit? Diligently spend 1/2 hour with a fine file on the key ("fitting") and a little lube and you will get a nice tight fit. Job done for good. 

Tip:- Keys are normally square section, so get a permanent maker pen and paint three faces, then leave them alone, just work one face. If you do overdo it, pick and adjacent face and start again.

An easy hour of your time.......

......or just do what Guzy suggests... fill it up with putty.:passifier:

JB weld   . LOL.  * tg , shame on you. An engineer too. Thats very poor quality fitment / assembly at the factory. If the warranty only covers the engine , you have nothing to loose doing your own repair / part replacement. 800 Baht is cheap , but as you say , shouldnt be needed. You need to ensure the new parts are a better fit too , as others have said.  * joke - i know.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

JB weld   . LOL.  * tg , shame on you. An engineer too. Thats very poor quality fitment / assembly at the factory. If the warranty only covers the engine , you have nothing to loose doing your own repair / part replacement. 800 Baht is cheap , but as you say , shouldnt be needed. You need to ensure the new parts are a better fit too , as others have said.  * joke - i know.

yep that gonna be the plan , i know warranty is next to non existant and if there is a problem with the engine it will be of course only cover the not moving parts of another part that is not broken 

i checked the other wheel a while back and looks and feels fine , does need a bit of kinetic therapy before it loosens so that's fine 

but i'm worried about that piece of pvc tube , if look at the photo that comes first on the axle , to make sure the drum can rotate freely , i can not use a piece of metal for that cos than the lock ring will break 

Ok ok. Lets be serious.

Proper job.

Mig weld up both offending parts. Remachine keyway in the shaft in the milling machine and turn back the shaft to the original OD. Remachine the hub keyway with either a keyway tool in a shaper or slotting machine and then turn the ID to the correct size.. Precision required throughout all operations. Oh, not got access to either of these machining operations or don't know a good machine shop?

Buy new parts and BLUEPRINT prior to final assembly. At 800 baht for new parts it's a no brainer...

Anything else, one off keys, etc, JB Weld is a bodge...

Structural adhesives are used in aerospace, power generation, and machinery repairs. Saves time, money, work well. In a whole other league than JB Weld tho ...

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/general-purpose-structural-adhesives-23808.htm

Have a branch in England for those who drive on the wrong side of the road too.

The plastic / nylon / PVC part is a spacing collar. If its not re-useable then order a new one. From what i can see ,i cant see it being a problem replacing it with a steel spacer.  A new collar can be machined up easily. thaiguzzi has , and can use , machines your local workshops may not have.  

I am pretty certain that this failure was simply down to a poor fitting key.

In the old days you had to make a key fit in the manner I described, these bikes are assembled here, where training is poor. I had to put a spanner over may Lifan when I got it and now it is fine. I worried about wheel bearing quality, no evidence, but they were cheap and easy to change so I did it. I thought a Honda chain would last longer, so changed that too, to save replacing the sprockets early. A good chain can last 10 times longer than a cheap one.

My Thai assembled Honda CRF had issues too, the headlight was pointing to the heavens and the clutch was out of wack. All assembly issues. The Jap companies probably do have better training courses than the Chinese, but the Thais don't have basic engineering skills to begin with. You can't learn these from a book, they need apprenticeships here..IMO.

Anyway if the OP fits the key properly to the two new parts I think the problem will be solved.

19 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

JB weld   . LOL.  * tg , shame on you. An engineer too.

Way back when in the '60's my father had a Bedford coach and one of the cylinder head studs in the block was stripped. Not having a spare coach for the weekend he put some "plastic metal" sort of Araldite stuff down the hole. Welded a tap to a steel rod and retaped the thread, rebuild the engine and voila.

If it works, it works! 

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Way back when in the '60's my father had a Bedford coach and one of the cylinder head studs in the block was stripped. Not having a spare coach for the weekend he put some "plastic metal" sort of Araldite stuff down the hole. Welded a tap to a steel rod and retaped the thread, rebuild the engine and voila.

If it works, it works! 

Ive used JB Weld to repair a Vauxhall petrol cylinder head , that was being eaten away between two cylinders due to a blown head gasket. Filled the void , sanded level , done. It lasted the customer a few years and was sold like this. I wont admit to the repair i made to a brake caliper piston , however. Off road Jeep , i still have.

9 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Ive used JB Weld to repair a Vauxhall petrol cylinder head , that was being eaten away between two cylinders due to a blown head gasket. Filled the void , sanded level , done. It lasted the customer a few years and was sold like this. I wont admit to the repair i made to a brake caliper piston , however. Off road Jeep , i still have.

......and that is what these products are designed for, as a convenient fix when you are stuck, but the OP has ordered new parts, so the job can be done properly. 

No need to bodge it up and screw up the possibility of future servicing.

I holed my radiator in North Africa, fixed it with tank repair putty, with no practical alternative.

OP. Did you order a new key when you ordered the two parts?

On 11/14/2017 at 8:02 AM, VocalNeal said:

Retell,

What's happening?

been away from the keyboard a few days

will get the parts later today and assemble the lot together 

,also will make metal replacement spacers instead of the plastic 

think it will be fine after some work 

greetings from " winter in" Mukdahan ,,555

Retell

On 11/17/2017 at 6:48 AM, retell said:

been away from the keyboard a few days

will get the parts later today and assemble the lot together 

,also will make metal replacement spacers instead of the plastic 

think it will be fine after some work 

greetings from " winter in" Mukdahan ,,555

Retell

do not how they manage it ,but they ordered the wrong parts 

the saga continues 

27 minutes ago, retell said:

do not how they manage it ,but they ordered the wrong parts 

the saga continues 

Some people say be careful when buying these little known makes of bikes / pick ups. Considering the price , the quality is good , but the dealers often seem lacking.  Hang in there.