Going from iphone to Android - pros and cons?

davejonesbkk

I need a new phone, I like iphones but I only use them for pretty basic stuff like Gmail, reading the news, a bit of web browsing (sometimes) and chat apps and Im not really sure if my usage is really worth spending 14k on one.

Im thinking of getting an Android as there are handsets like the J7 which are about 7-8k, what are the major pros and cons though?

thanks

12 minutes ago, Adeeos said:

I've used macbooks for about 15+ years,,, but have always used Android phones,,, the Android works more like my Mac, than an iphone,, if that makes any sense,,,, Go for the Android,,, 

I have a mac too, why does the Android work more like that? What kind of Android phone do you have?

5 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

I only use them for pretty basic stuff like Gmail, reading the news, a bit of web browsing (sometimes) and chat apps and Im not really sure if my usage is really worth spending 14k on one.

an iphone would be great for the things that you mentioned. however, their phones have become restrictive price-wise. if you've never used an android device before, there is a learning curve. the good news (maybe bad to some) is that there are many to choose from and different price ranges. huawei, oppo, lg, samsung, xiaomi, etc are great brands with substantial user bases. enjoy hunting for a new smartphone and enjoy even more once you've picked one! best of luck

I have just gone from iPhone 6 to a Vivo5S and its the best move ever and third of the price at just under 9000 THB. I wanted dual sim and got a great phone. It looks and operated much like an iPhone but much better camera at 20 mp and great software.

Edited by Franko666

I use a Mac... Approx 100 GB of Music stored in iTunes / 100 GB of Photos Stored in iPhoto. All well organized, with playlists and catalogued.

When I tried switching from and iPhone to Android it was a nightmare... It took days of trial and error with different software to transfer my Music and Photo's across. I had to spend a lot of time reorganizing things - In the end I found a workable solution but it wasn't quite as 'neat'. 

I also found that the Android system a little less intuitive and 'dirtier' (if that makes any sense), I managed to 'get my head' into it and became a what some may call a power user, even rooting the machine and making some funky changes....  I first used the HTC One before switching to a Samsung S5.

Ultimately I found the 'Package' too slow.... I found the S5 slower than the iPhone I'd previously had, I found that stepping outside of Apples beautiful walled garden created numerous headaches with data handling (photo's etc). When I returned back to an iPhone again life (the use of a phone in combination with a computer) became easier again.

I don't like to like the iPhone, but IMO it is the better machine, but I can do anything on my iPhone that I would on my computer (its just more convenient to do most things on a computer) and when there is something 'new' to do on an iPhone I find it intuitive. 

IF all you are doing is surfing the net, texting, making calls and using Chat Apps then all you really need is the most basic of smart phones with a reasonable screen size.

The iPhone's are now priced ridiculously - when its time to upgrade I'm considering rebelling and ditching Apple again in the hope that this time I won't regret it.... 

2 hours ago, Franko666 said:

I have just gone from iPhone 6 to a Vivo5S and its the best move ever and third of the price at just under 9000 THB. I wanted dual sim and got a great phone. It looks and operated much like an iPhone but much better camera at 20 mp and great software.

I switched from iphone to Android and never looked back . One drawback for me, and there may be a workaround but I don’t it, is that My family, who live abroad, use iMessage and at home I have an iPad so no problem but out and about the Android doesn't have it as it an Apple thing.   Apart from that everything is better now. 

It’s a nightmare if you are  I tunes store user but if you are Apple Music subscriber there is an app for Android that work quiet well.

The only thing is that you have to download all your music files if you want to listen to your music in plane.

12 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Get an android that will allow you to replace the battery without going to an authorised distributor. Also only 4,000 Baht Zen Fone is good.

And add on-board memory, that has always aggravated me wrt IPhones.

A good friend went Android after many Iphones and found the switch no problem.

13 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

VIruses are more common on Androids

Of course. Same as Windows vs Apple. If you're trying to 'hack' for some financial infomation/gain, your efforts will be best rewarded among the greatest number of users! :coffee1:

23 minutes ago, pineapplepen said:

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that I had a Samsung S (forgot the number but it was around 2012) in the past, it wasn't bad but as I recall the battery life and performance started to seriously dip after about 18 months, are they better now?

Also, I dont really care for large devices, prefer it to fit in my pocket, so whats the best Android one which is around the same size as the iPhone 5 or SE?

thanks

I have a Samsung Note 2 - bought new in 2013 or 2014 (cannot remember when) and still on original battery! Just don't 'overcharge' the batteries.

Android in general is a more open platform, both hardware and software. Android you can change your own battery, access, upgrade the storage. You can put "your" data on and off the phone without using itunes etc, you can take out the mem card put it in your PC, copy paste etc then put it back in the phone.

Iphones are easy to use, intuitive etc but again you are tied to itunes and often their propriety software, android is infinity customisable, but a learning curve.

I just switched from a hand-me-down iphone4 (from the wife) to a shiny new samsung J7. The iphone blew through a battery in less than 6 months and then started having connection and sound issues.

My new J7 has space for 2 sim cards (in case I ever meet a gik I guess), a space for expanded memory chip. doesn't need 1 of those needle things to get to the sim and is really straight forward for a novice user like myself.

Also, AIS is having a sale so it was marked down from 6,500 baht to 4,200 baht.

I've only used a couple of iphones and had mostly android phones.  I wouldn't go back to apple.  I don't like the constant forced updates, having to use itunes, the whole experience felt too restrictive.

I found Android does crash more often but not enough to bother me.  The freedom and level of customization alone with ease of file sharing makes up for it.  

I wouldn't go back to a Samsung phone.  I had the Galaxy 4/5/7 and also a J series.  Some people love them however and that's fine..the cameras were spectacularly good.  Now I'm using a motorola with decent specs and I'm happy with it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with switching to android.

I think the actual phone itself is of a higher quality with Iphone but IOS is to restricitve and boring..

So IMHO.

1 Customizations.

2. Using other apps apart from default apps

3. Ability to install apps outside of the Playstore which may be other wise be banned.

It is a question that will be never be anwsered..

Just ask yourself ..Who would you prefer to spend the night with 1 white women or 3 black chicks and you have your answer.

I tried switching, bought a Sony Xperia M5, absolute piece of crap ( can't even switch it on, keeps turning itself off) , now back with my wife's old iPhone 5c,  4 years old and still going well.  The Sony M5 didn't make it past 6 months.

Edited by gmac

I prefer android and have an LG4.  Good camera but only problem seems to be that I can only send a couple of photos with an email because of the pixels, around 6mb.  My gfs Huawei takes good photos too but only 200 to 300 kb so I can send many more photos.

I suggest you learn how to use your phone rather than spouting complete carp on here about stuff you are obviously clueless about.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

6 hours ago, gmac said:

I tried switching, bought a Sony Xperia M5, absolute piece of crap ( can't even switch it on, keeps turning itself off) , now back with my wife's old iPhone 5c,  4 years old and still going well.  The Sony M5 didn't make it past 6 months.

This is about android and iPhone NOT about one manufacturer of a piece of hardware.

Yes, there were problems with your model Xperia but not every manufacturer of android phones has these problems.

BTW some iPhones - notably the S6S also has many problems. Therefore, does that mean you should dump all iPhones? Your argument/comment is specious at best. :coffee1:

13 hours ago, lvr181 said:

This is about android and iPhone NOT about one manufacturer of a piece of hardware.

Yes, there were problems with your model Xperia but not every manufacturer of android phones has these problems.

BTW some iPhones - notably the S6S also has many problems. Therefore, does that mean you should dump all iPhones? Your argument/comment is specious at best. :coffee1:

Specious it may be but it does make me reluctant to try changing again particularly as Apple phones don't suffer from viruses while Android ones apparently do.

I bought a Sony phone based on past good Sony experience and got my fingers burnt, many internet reports suggest that many companies flagship models which cost almost as much as iPhones are good but lesser models, where apparent money savings can be made, are not so reliable.