When 'Walking Street' was a beach - meeting told that was 1952

webfact

When 'Walking Street' was a beach - meeting told that was 1952

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A crisis meeting discussing encroachment in South Pattaya heard that the area was a pleasant beach in 1952.

Now aerial photography shows that 101 buildings are stretching out into the sea all along the seaside of what is now Walking Street.

Pattaya mayor Anan Charoensri called the meeting at City Hall Wednesday to look into developments on the decades old issue and try to speed up a resolution.

Reporters were barred from the meeting, said Manager.

But after mayor Anan said that there were many complex issues surrounding the matter. Some of the people with businesses there have land deeds according to the law.

Other problems include the state of structures in the area and how they came to be erected in the first place.

But he said that 101 properties have encroached onto the sea and that the area was once a beach in 1952.

The encroachment case has dragged on for at least 17 or 18 years, he said, and now he wants to see more action in resolving the issues that include environmental considerations.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-09

Some people have land deeds...for the beach?.....many complex issues....namely "important" people own these properties and we don't know what to do!!

Years of corruption embedded into people have caused these issues.

Now most administrators are too scared to do anything for fear of being sued......a completely ludicrous situation.....and not just Pattaya....everywhere in Thailand!!

Yes it was a beach but it was the dark, gloomy southern end of an otherwise bright and open beach. It also had a stinky fishing jetty in the middle so they had to do something to get the punters down that end. Since the beach was already comparatively shitty, they started with restaurants on wooden stilts, then the concrete pilings went in and solid structures on the west side of the road. Then the beer bars started to catch the diners before they walked back up to the Nipa Lodge and Nautical Inn for the night. Then the discos and finally the gogo bars.

...and on the 7th day, God rested.

There's that Muai Thai arena with a bunch of open air bars on the right side

as you enter walking street, there, in 1975 i met what would be

my first Thai lovely for the evening, she was young than, i guess

she'd be like 60+ years old now.....Ahh, those were the days indeed

my friends....

But he said that 101 properties have encroached onto the sea and that the area was once a beach in 1952.

Hello, calling Mr Mayor! Don't use stupid justifications like that or you will have to remove Beach Road. That was apparently built on reclaimed land.

I don't understand why they have the fixation with the buildings on the sea side of the road. The entire beach is a decrepit disaster, and the sand is disappearing, so perhaps sort the beach that exists before creating yet another disaster like the marina or the parking building.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

There's that Muai Thai arena with a bunch of open air bars on the right side

as you enter walking street, there, in 1975 i met what would be

my first Thai lovely for the evening, she was young than, i guess

she'd be like 60+ years old now.....Ahh, those were the days indeed

my friends....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't understand why they have the fixation with the buildings on the sea side of the road. The entire beach is a decrepit disaster, ...

The beach isnt wonderful but Walking Street is far worse. They should bulldoze everything on the seaward side of the road. At least it should reduce the ridiculous traffic congestion at the corner of Beach Road and Tai.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes it was a beach but it was the dark, gloomy southern end of an otherwise bright and open beach. It also had a stinky fishing jetty in the middle so they had to do something to get the punters down that end. Since the beach was already comparatively shitty, they started with restaurants on wooden stilts, then the concrete pilings went in and solid structures on the west side of the road. Then the beer bars started to catch the diners before they walked back up to the Nipa Lodge and Nautical Inn for the night. Then the discos and finally the gogo bars.

...and on the 7th day, God rested.

Dicks Sportsman's Bar, he also opened a small motel at the end of what is now Walking Street........A Thai Admiral was the only one that could lease that side of the Street (beachside)  we used to get letters every month that they were coming to tear down all the structures on the beachside as the Thai Navy owned all the beaches in Thailand.  We ignored them in 1971, and low & behold, they are still thriving today.........Money talks and BS walks..............in Thailand.

Who cares what the walking street beach looked like in 1952...Hell most of Bangkok was rice fields in 1952..Should Bangkok be torn down and the rice fields replanted?

Pattaya already has many miles of open beach...Walking street is just fine the way it is....

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The beach isnt wonderful but Walking Street is far worse. They should bulldoze everything on the seaward side of the road. At least it should reduce the ridiculous traffic congestion at the corner of Beach Road and Tai.

True, it's an unplanned tatty slum

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, KittenKong said:

LOL. Tearing the seaside buildings down would make ZERO difference to the traffic congestion. Have you even been there?

It could be easily solved, but it won't be for all the usual reasons.