What are the queues like at Vientianne?

Hello all, I haven't been to the Thai consulate in Vientianne for four years now and the last time I went the queue was quite far down the street. In fact I had to come back the next day because of it. I was wondering how things are there these days. I only want to get a 60 day tourist visa, my first one in about 2 years. What is the best day to turn up there and how strict are they going to be over showing onwards travel and money in the bank. On that note, if I update my bank book the day before, would that count as proof rather than hard cash [which can be lost whilst carried about of course]. Lastly has Vientianne become much harder than Savvanakhet to get a tourist visa. I went there on a Wednesday once, and that consulate was empty almost. 

Lastly, if I want to stay out of the city a bit [Vientianne], is it best to just follow the river north? I did that once but some time ago. From memory there was some place about 20kms north of the city but on the river, it was much cheaper and quiet picturesque.

Thanks

The worst days to be there is on Monday and Thursday when the visa run vans show up.

Vientiane does not ask for financial proof or tickets out of the country.

Savannakhet has started asking for financial proof, tickets out the country and proof of accommodations.

• Thanks 1

Ha, I thought you'd be the first to reply, many thanks as always. So if I turn up on a Tuesday or Wednesday, there's every chance it should be a smooth enough process. From memory the last time I went there, the queue was about 70 meters down the road and I think it was a Thursday.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The worst days to be there is on Monday and Thursday when the visa run vans show up.

Vientiane does not ask for financial proof or tickets out of the country.

Savannakhet has started asking for financial proof, tickets out the country and proof of accommodations.

Can you confirm this? My run in Savannakhet a few months ago for a 60-day only required that I show my bank book (aside from all the usual paperwork/copies).

3 minutes ago, FarangLaoInter said:

Can you confirm this? My run in Savannakhet a few months ago for a 60-day only required that I show my bank book (aside from all the usual paperwork/copies).

There have been reports of them wanting a ticket out of the country but they will accept bus or train tickets. The accommodation proof might not be needed.

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

So if I turn up on a Tuesday or Wednesday, there's every chance it should be a smooth enough process. From memory the last time I went there, the queue was about 70 meters down the road and I think it was a Thursday.

Yes, and arriving about 10 am, after the rush, often helps. Fridays are also a good day to apply (pick up on Monday) if you fancy the weekend in the country.

• Like 1

I applied on a Monday around 10:15am.  The line to drop off (maybe 10-15 ahead of me) wasn't bad once I finally figured out where I needed to be.  I was #490 to pick up, so I didn't get my passport back until around 4:40, iirc.  This was in May.  At least the pickup is in order, so you can estimate your time based on an average of queue numbers served over a period of time, so you're not battling standing in a free-for-all like at some other consulates.

Edited by cacahootie
clarify number of people in line

Did a Vientianne tourist visa run a few weeks ago.

Went there on a Monday after a three day week-end, went straight from the border to the Embassy, got there about 10 30 AM . Got queue ticket number 650 , handed my application in at about 12 30 , went back the next day and picked the PP up at about 3 30 . Didnt have to show any other documents at the Embassy or the border.

I have a lot of respect for the Vientiane consulate. Those in charge, as far as is reasonable, want to help applicants. They are the busiest of all the consulates. It would be quite impractical for them to spend significant time on any individual application. They have liberal, but inflexible, rules. They have s system in place that provides the best practically possible experience for those applying. If you arrive in time to get a queue number before they close, they will almost always process your application that day, even though this often means they work through their normal lunchtime on busy days. They do not apply a daily quota like some other consulates.

Went there last tuesday at 10-00.  Got ticket number 184.

Picked up by 2-30 next day. Rumour during pick up was that 600 applied on the Tuesday with some having to apply again the next day.

Can't confirm that!!

I now have 7 back to back visas, 1 from my home country, 2 at Savankavet, 1 from Penang then 3 from Vientienne, I need 1 more before getting a new Passport.

Is it safe to go back to Vientienne?

5 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Went there last tuesday at 10-00.  Got ticket number 184.

Picked up by 2-30 next day. Rumour during pick up was that 600 applied on the Tuesday with some having to apply again the next day.

Can't confirm that!!

I now have 7 back to back visas, 1 from my home country, 2 at Savankavet, 1 from Penang then 3 from Vientienne, I need 1 more before getting a new Passport.

Is it safe to go back to Vientienne?

If Vientiane haven't put a warning stamp in your passport then you've got a chance of getting another one, but 4 would be pushing your luck. Penang would be my first choice.

Haven’t been there for a year but the last two times I went there took advantage of the ‘ express ‘ form system. Once inside the gates of the consulate head to the building on the left up the steps. Inside there is a large table with two ladies filling out the application forms. It’s important they fill out the forms. Just have all the details ready like your address and number in Thailand. Think it costs 50 baht. The man assisting them stamps the form and directs you to go outside and direct to the lady at the table whom everybody else is queuing to hand their forms to. You hand her the form and she gives you a ticket with a number and go back next day and collect. I like to get there before 9 am. From entering the main gate to exiting it takes no more than 15 minutes. Don’t know if they still do it but worth looking out for. Bring some 20 baht notes. 

1 minute ago, roundtheworld said:

Haven’t been there for a year but the last two times I went there took advantage of the ‘ express ‘ form system.

When I went in May I tried to avail myself of such a service.  The table as you describe is still there, but they just looked at me like I was an alien when I asked about express or submitting the form there.  Maybe I just wasn't phrasing it right, but I tried and was not successful.

If you want to avoid crowds and can spend the weekend in Vientiane,  apply on the Friday and pick up Monday. No crowds,  no rush, no hassle. You have to pay guesthouse 3 nights instead of one, but explore the city and be hassle free.

The weirdest things that happened to me last time is that I was asked to go upstairs via the left stairs building first to get a 50 bahts stamp on my documents before going to the window to deposit the documents. Anyone knows what was that?

I went there by myself but on a "visa run vans" day but I was the only one at the window for applications because the visa run companies had their own line.

It was the weirdest thing. Just about one year ago actually.

Edited by alexlm

10 minutes ago, alexlm said:

The weirdest things that happened to me last time is that I was asked to go upstairs via the left stairs building first to get a 50 bahts stamp on my documents before going to the window to deposit the documents. Anyone knows what was that?

I went there by myself but on a "visa run vans" day but I was the only one at the window for applications because the visa run companies had their own line.

It was the weirdest thing. Just about one year ago actually.

Was that payment for photocopying ?

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

Was that payment for photocopying ?

No, it was small red stamps, circles, at the corner of the documents. Something like that. I don't remember after one year. But I even wanted to ask it in here at the time but were too lazy to post it I guess.

Really, this 50 thb stamps and the empty window while hundreds of people were waiting amazed me. Because I actually started to wait for 10 minutes ^^ in the wrong queue, thinking the usual window was not operational since nobody went there. But then someone told me to go and then I saw an Official Girl was actually waiting there, took my papers and 5 seconds later gave me the ticket to get the passport back the next day + a paper asking to write a full complete address or the application would be rejected (such a non sense since they gave it after I gave the application... noticed the paper just when I was in my hotel room... and got scared since I just wrote the name of my condo... but... it got accepted anyway). And it was for a non-o marriage on top of that!

I guess we'll never know what happens with Thailand organization sometimes :smile:

Edited by alexlm

6 minutes ago, alexlm said:

No, it was small red stamps, circles, at the corner of the documents. Something like that. I don't remember after one year. But I even wanted to ask it in here at the time but were too lazy to post it I guess.

Must have been some queue jumping device .

Anyway, theyve stopped doing it now

• Haha 1