Pierre - doing his bit for Thailand despite alleged harassment

snoop1130

Pierre - doing his bit for Thailand despite alleged harassment

23379989_1109998065770027_6299815848968164683_n.jpg

A picture on a popular Thai Facebook page showed a western man doing his bit to raise awareness about the trash on many Thai beaches.

But the story also featured claims that he had been harassed by police for telling it like it is.

The picture of Pierre on Phi Phi Island with his collection of rubbish is being shared across social media and has been viewed thousands of times.

He appears on a sidewalk surrounded by trash he claims to have picked up himself in just one hour. There are glass and plastic bottles, cans and straws among his haul of debris.

A sign reads: "Found on the beach last night (in less than 1 hour). Be ashamed!"

The Thai tagline on Mem Pho Dam praised Pierre for making a stand saying that others should follow his example. 

They said that people should understand that what he was doing is for the good of the country. 

People should show their support for his efforts to raise awareness and try and restore Thailand's beaches to their former glory.

However, a subsequent and as yet unsubstantiated post claimed that Pierre had been harassed by police and asked to move on and dispose of his trash. It was alleged that they didn't appreciate his efforts to show the "bad side" of Thailand.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/queentogetherisone/posts/1109999689103198

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-10

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The chap is doing his campaign with a good intent, so arguing about that.

But sincerely, how would we appreciate if say a bunch of Chinese tourists started to publicly shame the local population on local issues, in any western town ? Many would not appreciate and the police may even interveine.

Where this fellow got it all wrong is that he should not finger point alone.  A smart move would have been to post the pictures with locals around or perhaps he should have made a commitee and associated Thais in the campaign.

Acting as a lone ranger and shaming Thais in public will not serve the vital cause he is defending.

It will rather attract him trouble, and to some extent,  create hassles and suspicions against  other foreigners established in Thailand or on a visit.

The sad fact of the matter is that come the next high tide there will be as much rubbish as ever.

I once walked to a remote(ish) beach on Turatao. What I saw still depresses me 15 years later.

The kingdom is being assailed by junk from the sea.

47 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

But sincerely, how would we appreciate if say a bunch of Chinese tourists started to publicly shame the local population on local issues, in any western town ? Many would not appreciate and the police may even interveine.

Where this fellow got it all wrong is that he should not finger point alone.  A smart move would have been to post the pictures with locals around or perhaps he should have made a commitee and associated Thais in the campaign.

Acting as a lone ranger and shaming Thais in public will not serve the vital cause he is defending.

It will rather attract him trouble, and to some extent,  create hassles and suspicions against  other foreigners established in Thailand or on a visit.

Why would the police intervene in the West?

It’s not illegal to highlight littering in any western country I know of. 

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Why would the police intervene in the West?

It’s not illegal to highlight littering in any western country I know of. 

He keeps at it. He will regret it. Western do gooder trying to make Thais lose face. Western country this and western country that. Getting old. 

Edited by Machiavelli

41 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

He keeps at it. He will regret it. Western do gooder trying to make Thais lose face. Western country this and western country that. Getting old. 

Trying to make people lose face?

Yeah right, that’s his agenda...

Just now, Just Weird said:

The last 2 words on his crappy sign confirm that that is exactly what his agenda is.

Yes?

Anyone who litters should be ashamed. 

That doesn’t mean his agenda is to cause Thais to “lose face”. His agenda appears to be about littering. 

I dont like those who crow how great they are on social media, but I do understand his anger over littering. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Yes?

Anyone who litters should be ashamed. 

That doesn’t mean his agenda is to cause Thais to “lose face”. His agenda appears to be about littering. 

I dont like those who crow how great they are on social media, but I do understand his anger over littering. 

Yes, obviously.  His agenda is telling people "to be ashamed", why else would he have added that remark?

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The last 2 words on his crappy sign confirm that that is exactly what his agenda is.

So he is only saying this to Thais according to a couple of posters on here. So why the hell did he not write the comment in Thai> Some people just cannot give credit where credit is due because they live in a shady dream world.

Wake up its a world issue and killing the sea birds, fish and marine animals, but you do not care by the looks of things as your brains are between your legs only.

As for the face of the place, it went years ago.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

What could they complain about? The lack of p1ss1ng on the street or the hindrance of things like general  order?

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, obviously.  His agenda is telling people "to be ashamed", why else would he have added that remark?

Because that is how he feels about littering, however his agenda is about littering.

That is his primary concern, not causing “loss of face”

34 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

So he is only saying this to Thais according to a couple of posters on here. So why the hell did he not write the comment in Thai> Some people just cannot give credit where credit is due because they live in a shady dream world.

Wake up its a world issue and killing the sea birds, fish and marine animals, but you do not care by the looks of things as your brains are between your legs only.

As for the face of the place, it went years ago.

"Wake up its a world issue and killing the sea birds, fish and marine animals, but you do not care by the looks of things as your brains are between your legs only."

What's that supposed to mean, if you're addressing it to me?  And, if you are, why are you addressing it to me?

He is  fighting a lost cause. Thais are still  third world mentality when it comes to rubbish.

Even so called rubbish collection companies just dump the rubbish  until an area is full then they still continues to dump rubbish without a thought about its eventual disposal. Just look at many of the tourist Islands that have massive rubbish tips and  they still do nothing to solve the problem.

Thailand is slowly sinking in its own squalor. They just try to hide the  problem " out of sight, out of mind "  mentality .

If you cannot see the problem there isn't one. 

I have often seen people openly dumping sacks of rubbish by the roadside, I have even seen sewage trucks discharge their load into roadside ditches .

If Thais could not make money from Recycling  the problem would be even greater.    Thais do not recycle because they care about the environment, they do it for money 

Edited by johncat1

13 hours ago, Slip said:

The sad fact of the matter is that come the next high tide there will be as much rubbish as ever.

I once walked to a remote(ish) beach on Turatao. What I saw still depresses me 15 years later.

The kingdom is being assailed by junk from the sea.

50/50 washed in from the sea and washed out to the sea from coastal city and town drains is my take on it.

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Yes there a more subtle ways of making a point...

But niether will make the slightest diffefence, its far to ingrained and prevelant right across the country, from the surrounding seas to the tops of mountains. Nice sentiment tho..

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Being an adult with a fully formed brain I wouldn’t feel anything but admiration. I don’t care if they’re Chinese or Lebanese. Even if I found out these ‘foreigners’ in ‘my’ hometown were doing it purely to embarrass me and ‘my people’, I couldn’t care less. I get a cleaner town. 

If the people in my town are dropping their litter all over the place and being shamed, good. They deserve to be embarrassed. And at the end of it if we have a clean town and some upset snowflakes, I can live with that. I’m not an over sensitive child. 

As as for the police intervening, I’d be asking some serious questions of my community if the police were hassling people for picking up litter as opposed to hassling them for dropping it. It kinda seems to be extremely regressive. 

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Great and courageous action of Pierre to put a finger in a festering dirty wound.

He'd better omitted those last two words.

Better to replace them with:

Tourists come here because they expect to find clean beaches instead of garbage.

But who cares as millions of tourists keep coming to LOS anyway ?

15 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

leave thailand to the thais .....

I agree. At the end of the day we are guests here Pierre, my "good" man. We can offer to help wash the dishes, but insulting our hosts, especially in a foreign language they don't understand, is not good form at all, old chap.