Norweigan drunk driver kills Brit

george

It's "media" period. It doesn't matter if it's Thai, UK, Oz or US. If it bleeds it leads. They are a dispicable bunch, no matter whether they are TV or newspaper, no matter the nationality. I used to be a "news station junkie", however, in recent weeks I have had a change of heart & mind & do not watch ANY OF THEM as I used too. Media folks, can you take a hint from an old viewer. It's just to much.....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "media" period. It doesn't matter if it's Thai, UK, Oz or US. If it bleeds it leads. They are a dispicable bunch, no matter whether they are TV or newspaper, no matter the nationality. I used to be a "news station junkie", however, in recent weeks I have had a change of heart & mind & do not watch ANY OF THEM as I used too. Media folks, can you take a hint from an old viewer. It's just to much.....

It,s one of the few things that seriously disturb me in such serious and distressing circumstances.

Yes, i,m a guest here and its the Thai way but................................

How insensitive, grotesque and repulsive it all is, God knows what suffering it causes to the victims families of these graphic photo,s and news media films , that are constantly displayed.

I thought they had introduced a law to stop all this sort of thing in recent times.?????

They have i know been blurring some of it out but it still happens big time i,m sad to say.

I tend to glance at the newspapers and if there looks like anything of this nature i don,t look any further.

As for the Pattaya News T.V. / media showing this sort of thing, especially when you consider all the Westerners that live there " what happened to sensitivity, consideration and respect for this not forgetting the more important relatives and friends he had.

What happened to the Vioce and Infuence of the Western citizens that work for the company among them and supposedly advise that particular news media on ethics while spouting on about how they are a voice for us all. ????

Not very influencial in educating them are you and it would seem lacking in carrying out this important function.

What happened to professionalism you people ?

These ethics should have been put in place long ago and there are no excuses what so ever.

Swich it off, some may say, i don,t think so as it should never be shown in the first place

If i am being unjust and off target i am happy to take it back, but the reality is the the majority of viewers are not Thai and it,s supposed to be for an Western / English speaking audience, i and many others where led to believe.

Again how sad considering this poor man and his family and the suffering they must be going through.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

If this is the relevant news channel i think their introduction to services provided need modifying.

Taken from their web site.

Quote:-

PMTV is the only local English Language programme that gives you something new and different everyday.

Including local news focusing on stories of a humanitarian nature – International news where we source the most interesting stories that other networks ignore. Horizons featuring – lifestyle- technology- science – health and our popular Vibe section bringing you the latest in the world of entertainment.

Look out for our Meet & Greet section towards the end of the show giving you an insight into the colourful characters in and around the region.

Unquote.

No further comment on the programme content apart from " what,s humanitarian " about this tragedy :D

marshbags :D and :o

Edited by marshbags

How insensitive, grotesque and repulsive it all is, God knows what suffering it causes to the victims families of these graphic photo,s and news media films , that are constantly displayed.

I agree that these pictures could cause further suffering to the victims families but these pictures could also save many lives.

Whenever I see these kind of pictures it reminds me to be very careful. Gory pictures are also used to try to make people stop smoking. Many people have relatives that died of smoking but if the pictures can save other lives, why not.

Science may be split on the effectiveness of these scare tactics but they will probably work on some people.

I agree that these pictures could cause further suffering to the victims families but these pictures could also save many lives.

Whenever I see these kind of pictures it reminds me to be very careful. Gory pictures are also used to try to make people stop smoking. Many people have relatives that died of smoking but if the pictures can save other lives, why not.

Science may be split on the effectiveness of these scare tactics but they will probably work on some people.

My condolences. As a convicted DUI/DWI driver, I know the implications for the offender and aware of the impact on victims and families.

Now, before we start to rant about the insensitive nature of the local media coverage on this tragedy, apart from beating your gums on TV forum, has anyone picked up a phone or pen and complained to the offending media outlet yet?

Unfortunately we see these images so often , and drive past fatal accidents so often that they tend to loose their shock value.

After a while we tend to get a bit numb about the effects that these accidents have on the whole community.

One of the real downers about living in Thailand.

Edited by COBBER

Agreed and acceptable if they disguise the victims I.D. and obvious recognisable features, that way they become anonymous while being effective in making " ALL " of us think about the consequences.

This generally happens to older tragic cases by the way and not the same day or the day after.

This was pure sensationalism of the lowest form in my humble opinion.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

but these pictures could also save many lives.

Unlikely.

When they showed this corpse with pints of blood flowing across the road, it was not over. They focuses 3 or 4 more times on this. They changed scenes and then focused again and again on the corpse over about a full minute (maybe more) from different angles. I'm surprised they didn't invite us to watch the autopsy.

After this they focused on an old man who had died in his apartment. They first showed the corpse lying on it's side. Later they turned the corpse onto its back and focused again so that we could have a good view of how rigor mortis had set in.

To save lives? No way!

Other times we get to see downed people, hanged people, people shot, mangled bodies of people thrown/jumped from buildings. They even show us the dead people on a slab after they died in hospital.

All this will achieve is tarnishing the image of Pattaya (even further) and make it seem like a war zone instead of a relaxing holiday resort.

A small anecdote:

my friend took my car ('borrowed' it) at 2 a.m. while I was asleep.

First stop was a minimart for a bottle of Leo (beer). Of course the bottle joined the driver opened.

After some kilometers my 'friend' has to divert for an oncoming verhicle and hit a parked minivan. He ran (with car of course) and took the first Soi to the left, but because of the damaged left side, the wheel construction collapsed and he smashed into a wall on the right side.

Police came and I was called.

At the scene I found 3 people (one of them my 'friend') and they had a lot of fun together. I opened the door of the driver side and a smell of beer approached. The tow truck came and I was left alone with the tow guy while the police men took my 'friend' to the police station.

I went home to pick up some papers and also headed for the police station. There was my 'friend', less chearfull but smiling from ear to ear.

To make a long story short: my 'friend' got fined with 400 THB for causing the accident. He had no driver license, he was drunk, he fled the scene, and and and...........just 400 THB.

I left him where he was, because I refused to pay for his stupidity. Basically he should stay in jail for at least 2 days, but right after I left they let him go and I had to pay for the fine otherwise I couldn't get my car back.

Later I asked the police officer what they would have done with a farang in the same situation. His answer: "You don't want to know mister!!"

Hmm

One thing that amazes me is the amount of EXPATS I know who tank up in their local bar and drive home,either in their tonka truck or wobbling away on their nifty fifty.

And taxis are ridiculously cheap.

Why?Because they can.

Briton killed in Pattaya road accident

Police said the Norwegian would not stop but continued to head to Pattaya but he was stopped later at a road checkpoint.

Police said the Norwegian man appeared drunk.

-- The Nation 2006-12-30

What a bastard ! :o:D

just an update on this..the Norwegian man who caused the accident was celebrating new years eve in a bar about 200 metres from where the accident occurred ,when he lit a firework in his hand which blew his arm off at the shoulder !!.

i'll leave others to comment on this !

just an update on this..the Norwegian man who caused the accident was celebrating new years eve in a bar about 200 metres from where the accident occurred ,when he lit a firework in his hand which blew his arm off at the shoulder !!.

One is tempted to say "poetic justice", but that would not bring Mr Hassim back unfortunately. On the other hand (no need to pardon the pun) what an idiot -inside a bar playing with fireworks. I wont say he deserved it, but it is difficult to have a lot of sympathy for people who do idiotic thoings and get themselves hurt. Did anyone else get injured?

Where did you hear that gem?

how did he manage to drive his car if his arm was blown off by a firework!!! doesn't make any sense.

From what I can make out, the accident losing his arm came AFTER the sad drink/driving incident!!!

The fact he is out celebrating the New Year after what had happens defies logic :o

how did he manage to drive his car if his arm was blown off by a firework!!! doesn't make any sense.

From what I can make out, the accident losing his arm came AFTER the sad drink/driving incident!!!

The fact he is out celebrating the New Year after what had happens defies logic :o

Agreed. No shame, no heart.

Yes really, can you can quantify this 'other incident' please ?

Sorry, but Hassim does not sound like a very British name........... :D

I hope the Norwegian get all he deserves.

Sorry, but Hassim does not sound like a very British name

Neither does Nazeem Hamed, but there you go :o

On the contrary most of the larger cities in UK have second generation immigrints from North Africa, Pakistan and other Muslim countries. Many speak English with a local accent but retain their ethnic roots and names, many also own and drive taxies.

yes ....and why would i make this up ??

the idiot who caused this accident severed his arm and lost the sight of one eye with a firework on year years eve in a small bar between las vegas and the blue room in jomtien complex ,if you know the area you'll know where i mean .

leave your stupid comments in the joke section ,in my eyes this is tragic loss if you know jimmy !!

yes ....and why would i make this up ??

the idiot who caused this accident severed his arm and lost the sight of one eye with a firework on year years eve in a small bar between las vegas and the blue room in jomtien complex ,if you know the area you'll know where i mean .

leave your stupid comments in the joke section ,in my eyes this is tragic loss if you know jimmy !!

It's a simple polite request to quantify the statement. Nothing more.

Were you there when this happened, did someone tell you or did you read about it? Not asking too much to offer a simple polite reply I trust.

Regret your comments about jokes are completly out of order on such a tragic subject.

Norwegian man seriously injured by a firework only 24 hours after he kills Briton in road crash.

In the early hours of News Years Day medical staff at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital admitted Mr. Hans Bjorger Hobraten aged 58 from Norway after he had sustained a serious injury to his left arm sustained during an accident with a firework.

The accident occurred at the Jomtien Complex Condotel on Jomtien Beach Road and left him with serious muscle damage. His friend, Mrs. Anita Forberg aged 59 also from Norway explained to us that he was lighting a firework which failed to ignite. Mr. Hobraten approached and attempted to relight the firework, not realizing it was already alight.

It exploded causing extensive damage to his arm. It has been a bad week for Mr. Hobraten who was involved in a hit and run road accident just 24 hours before which killed Mr. Jimmy Hassim aged 52 from England.

SOURCE: Pattaya City News

> I wished it was illegal to flee the scene of a crime/accident.

This is a crime under Thai law, leaving the scene and or failure to report an accident where damage to property or injury to a person has occured...