Uber Pattaya

Lancelot01

Used Uber the other night from Jomtien. Pleasant driver and was charged 107 Baht to Soi Chayapoon. Not bad at all. Had to wait a bit though because the first driver wouldn't show up. The app automatically switched to find a driver nearby. Very pleased. Imagine what a mafia taxi would have cost at 2am for this kind of distance.

By the way, just got some funny recommendation in my Uber app: "Avoid crowded places" (=stay away from mafia pickup-points), "Use the front seat to be more comfortable" (=don't have the driver be caught out by police/mafia), "Be at your spot on time" (=get away as quickly as you can before someone notices).

Brilliant stuff.

I went with Grab this morning and used the promo code. I only paid 100 baht from Naklua to Jomtien. Thats right 100 baht only. Normal price would have been 200. Yesterday I checked the fare in the afternoon and they wanted 260, so cheaper in the early mornings.

Compared with Uber who only give an estimate max 230, I think only Grab for me from now on.

Also I asked the driver if he was afraid of the mafia and he told me they are involved so they probably have made an agreement. This was a white Honda Jazz btw. We stopped at the bus station next to the official taxis and smiles everywhere.

I was just in KL.  Grab signs are everywhere.  There are even Grab pickup locations in all the major malls, with signs pointing the way. 

Sure wish Thailand would catch up....

We tried to get an Uber ride last weekend near the Ambassador.  No way.  So picked another spot about 1km away, we got a ride. 

Archived