Bangkok’s MEA to open bidding for underground cable project

webfact

MEA to open bidding for underground cable project

By The Nation

Bangkok’s Metropolitan Electricity Authority is to open bidding for the construction of a tunnel ahead of taking all the power cables underground in Ratchadapisek Road next year.

MEA assistant governor Thitaraksa said on Monday that the MEA had finished designing the tunnel and the project would be divided into two phases.

The first phase, a 14.3-kilometre tunnel from the Ratchadapisek-Lad Phrao Intersection to Rama IX Road, will be built with a budget of Bt4.3 billion and the bidding would be opened next year.

The second phrase, a 8.2 km of tunnel from Rama IX to the Intersection at Klongtoey will be built with a budget of Bt4.5 billion and bidding will be held in 2019.

Thepsak said the second phase would be more difficult because the MEA would have to be careful not to affect the structure of the subway under the road.

He said the MEA’s goal is to move all Bangkok’s power cables underground, a total distance of 214.6 kms, by 2021.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30331462

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-13

• 3 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 9:46 AM, webfact said:

He said the MEA’s goal is to move all Bangkok’s power cables underground, a total distance of 214.6 kms, by 2021.

I hereby ask you all to witness my wager: I bet Bt8.8 billion that Thitaraksa's goal, i.e. to move all Bangkok’s power cables underground, a total distance of 214.6 kms, by 2021, fails by a country kilometer. Just one thing . . . does he mean 'by the beginning of 2021' or 'by the end of 2021'? Strictly speaking, 'by' should mean by the beginning of a stated time or date, unless otherwise stated. If our good Asst-govr meant 'by the end of 2021', he would surely have said so.

Today - 7 March 2018, there are 299 days of this year left, plus 365 of 2019, plus 366 of 2020 - there are a total of 1,030 days until 1 January 2021 and that's what I'm betting on. If he plays hard ball, I could even be tempted to stretch my bet to include 2021, too. Fair to a tee . . . I'm like that.

I've tried calling Mr T to arrange the bet, but his secretary tells me he's got dozens of lines waiting . . .

Archived