So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

The grass is always greener - NOT.

At one time I loved my country England, was a proud patriot and could never imagined wanting to live in another country and giving it all up there. But later I began to feel disenchanted with my country, young thugs claiming the streets as their own, weak laws to protect us and above all my country became overwhelmed by immigrants and foreigners seeing my culture and way of life eroded and then imposed by law to be tolerant and accept it.

So several years ago I met a woman in Thailand and decided to settle here believing I`d have a better lifestyle. At first thought I had found my utopia but today I feel like a third rate citizen in Thailand, only of course they`ll never let me become a citizen, kept under the thumb of the Thais. My own country has gone to pot, but also Thailand is not all it`s hyped up to be, especially for foreigners.

You are complaining that the UK allows foreigners to become citizens and you are also complaining that Thailand doesnt allow foreigners to become citizens .

Make-up your mind : Should foreigners be able to become citizens or not ?

19 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

The grass is always greener - NOT.

At one time I loved my country England, was a proud patriot and could never imagined wanting to live in another country and giving it all up there. But later I began to feel disenchanted with my country, young thugs claiming the streets as their own, weak laws to protect us and above all my country became overwhelmed by immigrants and foreigners seeing my culture and way of life eroded and then imposed by law to be tolerant and accept it.

So several years ago I met a woman in Thailand and decided to settle here believing I`d have a better lifestyle. At first thought I had found my utopia but today I feel like a third rate citizen in Thailand, only of course they`ll never let me become a citizen, kept under the thumb of the Thais. My own country has gone to pot, but also Thailand is not all it`s hyped up to be, especially for foreigners.

. It's not very nice to apply for extensions and visas and extensions and visas over and over again. And that while all prices for food and other goods have skyrocketed. 

It was all a bit different when I settled down, people wanted to talk to me. But the times seem to be over after so many foreigners who did so many crimes.

I had to experience something very odd two weeks ago when I went to the local hospital, waiting for my OPD card.

I sat down and saw a woman in front of me taking her bag from the chair next to her on her lap, right after she saw me. I really felt like a freakin' bag snatcher.

Thanks for the post, that makes it two now who feel like third rate citizen. Or worse.

Edited by jenny2017

33 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

To be honest, I am not really interested in Asia.

As I said, I love our 3 rai garden in Chanthaburi, no tourists, great sea food, abundant fruit and flowers, quiet beaches nearby, European food I'll eat in Europe, same for good wine and real beer. I even managed to chase away my wife's lazy son who had given up his job in BKK to come to Eldorado, and when she's not hysterical, I have a great time with my wife.

Every year I  look forward to travel to Europe, and next I look forward to return to our garden in Thailand.

I do not feel connected emotionally to any country in the world.

But yes I was lucky to be born / to have earned my money in Belgium.

Sounds like a nice life. Very well balanced. I'd like to live this way some day.

And as for having no emotional connection to one country, I can kind of understand why more Belgians might feel that way, so that's fair enough.

As long as you don't begrudge others having emotional connections to their home countries :thumbsup:

Edited by CG1 Blue

1 minute ago, Mansinthe said:

Jelous you not the only falang in town anymore?  ?

Nope. My neighbour and old friend,ex-teacher, now retired, told me what she's thinking of foreigners these days.

Back then she wanted to talk to such  'exotic" guys. Now she won't even look at them with her ar.e. And she's got some valid reasons. 

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, Kwasaki said:

IMO UK went to the dogs years ago, for me being retired from my point of view UK is expensive the weather rubbish, no good for retirees and now immigrant dustbin.

You hit the nail on the head and remained politically correct :smile:

29 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Christianity, as practiced in the US, can be mostly intolerant. Look at the Republican party and the evangelist idiots.

Is that right?  I'm not as familiar with Christianity in the US. So do you see punishment dished out for Christian apostasy over there?

Moving back home means living either with family again or sharing with randoms as most my friends have all settled down, and are already dissatisfied with their now turned fat wives.

Over here I can have my own apartment and privacy, and having relationships with girls I find attractive takes 2 weeks as opposed to 2 years.

The meaning of life back home is pretty much having a mortgage. Over here it's enjoying freedom, good weather, food, women, and generally less stressful. 

Is that right?  I'm not as familiar with Christianity in the US. So do you see punishment dished out for Christian apostasy over there?

In many areas in the USA if you are not affiliated with a church you're considered deviant. Go to court and claim you are a good Christian especially if white and chances are you'll do better.. No death penalty for apostasy though.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

. It's not very nice to apply for extensions and visas and extensions and visas over and over again. And that while all prizes have skyrocketed. 

It was all a bit different when I settled down, people wanted to talk to me. But the times seem to be over after so many foreigners who did so many crimes.

I had to experience something very odd two weeks ago when I went to the local hospital, waiting for my OPD card.

I sat down and saw a woman in front of me taking her bag from the chair next to her on her lap, right after she saw me. I really felt like a freakin' bag snatcher.

Thanks for the post, that makes it two now who feel like third rate citizen. Or worse.

A class system is prevalent in UK too. I'm working class and don't give monkeys, wherever.

21 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Could be that they just dont like you ?

Or maybe the novelty to talking to a foreigner has worn off for them?

Its a bit like when you arrive back in your hometown in your country, most people want to come and say hello and ask how you are, but, after a few weeks the nnovelty wears off and they just treat you normally again

The days of felangs getting treated like movie starts in Thailand, just because you look like someone from the movies, has long gone .

Nothing to do with felangs behavior, its just we are so familiar in Thailand these days

Just now, RichardColeman said:

At least some of the Thais try to speak English - unlike those we import.

Yes, its great that Thais in Thailand try to speak English, unlike those immigrants who go to the UK and do not try to speak English.

Immigrants to the UK should be made to speak English, as should the Thais in Thailand.

No excuse for Foreigners going to a new Country and not learning the language .............

33 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Sounds like a nice life. Very well balanced. I'd like to live this way some day.

And as for having no emotional connection to one country, I can kind of understand why more Belgians might feel that way, so that's fair enough.

As long as you don't begrudge others having emotional connections to their home countries :thumbsup:

begrudge? no.

But I find it strange that someone would have emotional attachments to the country they were born in. The house, the neighbourhood, the family, the culture I understand, but the political entity?

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

begrudge? no.

But I find it strange that someone would have emotional attachments to the country they were born in. The house, the neighbourhood, the family, the culture I understand, but the political entity?

No eye deer

21 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

One can become a citizen here and most places if you pay..but can be free in UK.

I imagine price depends on desirability.

One can't if one is retired and male.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

17 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

I'd have no hesitation to returning to Blighty.

In fact, that's the goal - to return with a big stack of cash I've been able to earn and save while living here.

Don't care much about weather - London can be gorgeous in the Spring and Summer especially with a nice two-seat convertible to open up on the A40 on a balmy Sunday evening with the tunes turned UP :biggrin:

Know exactly what you mean, but for me its a clapped out 2CV on the M 11 avoiding pot holes.

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

begrudge? no.

Could it be because Belgium's borders are just a few lines on a map, and that it's a multi-lingual country surrounded by more prominent (globally) countries such as Germany, France and the Netherlands?

Whereas the UK border is the sea.

Not knocking Belgium at all.  My first experience of Leonidas chocolates as an 8 year old blew my mind.  And as for Poirot...

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Could it be because Belgium's borders are just a few lines on a map, and that it's a multi-lingual country surrounded by more prominent (globally) countries such as Germany, France and the Netherlands?

Not knocking Belgium at all.  My first experience of Leonidas chocolates as an 8 year old blew my mind.  And as for Poirot...

What you say might be true, but only for island nations. Most countries are not islands.

51 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

begrudge

I am with you on that and i come from an island nation, UK. People say they are 'proud' to be British but have never done a thing for their country. Even more weird when they emigrate from the country they are 'proud' of.

3 hours ago, Gruff said:

A balmy Sunday evening in UK. I reckon on average maybe 7 balmy evenings per year, that leaves just 1 if you are lucky

Yeah maybe if you lived in some shithole like Blackpool but there were a lot more than 7 balmy evenings every summer in London, mate.

My roadster got plenty of usage....with the roof off

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I will let you in on a Belgian secret.

Years ago, as an assignment I asked my students to make an in depth study of Leonidas.

Leonidas turned out to be a .....Greek company, the entire management is Greek - but yes located in Belgium.

So much for patriotic pride 555.

And at that time it suddenly dawned on me that the name "Leonidas" was a dead giveaway.....

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I have given up a long time ago trying to figure out whether you are thick and frustrated  or whether you have a special sense of humour.

But whatever.... I enjoy reading your posts.

Same here, not sure if he is trying to be a comedian, or is a full on troll, or really needs some special care from highly trained professionals.

Or possibly,all three together.