So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

I was talking about buying/ owner a house. For under 90k USD you can buy and also own the house and land in Alabama, just a quick google search will show this. Even cheaper is VERY possible. A  decent used car will cost less than 1/2 of what it does here and petrol/gas is also 1/2 the price in Alabama and that really adds up. At 65 years old you are covered under insurance in the states and if you are healthy there are very cheap options before that age. I am so glad you have a fan within 2 minutes of posting.  I mention specially Bangkok and perhaps Pattaya in my post for comparison as well. 

but who would live in Alabama ..... 

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

but who would live in Alabama ..... 

The area around Mobile is nice ( and many say with the Universities there and lots of new young hi tech workers etc quite liberal if that is  what you want) as are the hills and nearby Gulfport and Pensacola are beautiful and quite cheap too. Even 75k UDS gets you a nice home you can own the land and house. I'm from New England which is expensive and cold. The  gulf coast states are very very nice. Just look around a bit before commenting. Yes there are rural hick areas and many people who are retired prefer that type of place as well all over the world. Did you ever hear of Isarn in Thailand? Might be better for you. 

Edited by alex8912

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

As I neither frequent bars, nor bar girls, I'll leave that exercise to someone who does, like yourself, but I imagine that a refusal to pay would result in no provision of services, so I don't see your point, if there is one. Really don't want to persist with this rather pointless discussion.

Try not paying for your woman's groceries, home loan, utils, kid's school fees, house, fuel, car ........ and you'll soon be single.

You don't need to be in a bar, the deal is always the same, only the payment plan and details vary.

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, as a generality that's definitely true.

But consider Medicare which is insurance people over 65 can get regardless of health conditions. 

That expense alone in Thailand for older, sicker, not well covered could override all the other "cheap" benefits of living here. 

Just saying. 

It's never that simple. 

Correct I lived in LOS for a number of years and returned to Australia I am fully covered by Medicare

every visit to the doctor is free and the first time in my life I had to go to the hospital to get my heart

reset I did not pay one cent try doing that in Thailand

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Try not paying for your woman's groceries, home loan, utils, kid's school fees, house, fuel, car ........ and you'll soon be single.

You don't need to be in a bar, the deal is always the same, only the payment plan and details vary.

That only usually happens when that is the basis of the relationship .

If you begin a relationship on the premise that you will pay for everything , then , if you break yourside of the deal, the relationship will end .

If you enter into a relationship , where you do not pay for everything , then that situation will not arise

9 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Try Detroit, it's very cheap there.

Many areas near Detroit are very expensive Grosse Pointe comes to mind as well as several others. If you want to live in the city Palmer Woods and North Rosedale Park and many other city neighborhoods are filled with expensive mansions. It's cold too. I don't think you know what you are talking about. 

Edited by alex8912

29 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Perhaps that's because I accept that responsibility. It would be no different in a western country where the man is the breadwinner and the woman the homemaker, and sometimes it's the reverse. I know falangs in Thailand that don't have two beans to rub together, but still have the woman stick by them. It seems you either have a very low opinion of women or relationships. Been burnt have you?

Edited by giddyup

26 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Correct I lived in LOS for a number of years and returned to Australia I am fully covered by Medicare

every visit to the doctor is free and the first time in my life I had to go to the hospital to get my heart

reset I did not pay one cent try doing that in Thailand

Live in Thailand longer than 5 years and you are no longer covered by Medicare in Australia.

33 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

ah... the old "men pay for it one way or another argument"......   these golden droplets of narrow-mindedness keep cropping up in your posts MaeJoeMTB...  Perhaps in person you would come across a little more balanced, however, on this forum you are coming across as a bit of a 'crazy'... you really do have some issues if you are unable to recognize the spectrum of humanity and that not everyone 'needs' to be as jaded as you as it seems your experiences have only been negative, given a number of your comments it may seem the reason for this is self explanatory. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

ah... the old "men pay for it one way or another argument"......   these golden droplets of narrow-mindedness keep cropping up in your posts MaeJoeMTB...  Perhaps in person you would come across a little more balanced, however, on this forum you are coming across as a bit of a 'crazy'... you really do have some issues if you are unable to recognize the spectrum of humanity and that not everyone 'needs' to be as jaded as you as it seems your experiences have only been negative, given a number of your comments it may seem the reason for this is self explanatory. 

'Old men'  So often so do young men! This is a Thailand forum, the majority of guys who come here for a relationship (sex visitors) are supporting their Thai g/f or wife and quite rightly so. Western man has massively greater earning opportunities than a Thai lady ! Relationships between those from wealthy countries and poor countries are always likely to be different.

In the days of equality i would like to think western / western relationships are different but in the majority of cases and ultimately are they ?

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unlike you,

I've never been hansum or desirable, but I did know how to earn money. In the UK, I got one that wanted my money (she couldn't earn it herself), now in Thailand I've got one that wants my money (she can't earn it herself). Doesn't make me bitter or crazy, I can live with the truth, and the truth has set me free.

I Don't think I've only had negative experiences, there's been a woman in my bed almost every night since I was 23 (nearly 40 years). What more can a man ask for?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Unlike you,

I've never been hansum or desirable, but I did know how to earn money. In the UK, I got one that wanted my money (she couldn't earn it herself), now in Thailand I've got one that wants my money (she can't earn it herself). Doesn't make me bitter or crazy, I can live with the truth, and the truth has set me free.

Fair enough... then you've been unlucky twice, or have twice chosen poorly... not everyone is in that same position. Could you have ever been in a position to meet a Thai lady of equal socio-economic-educational status? would your attitudes have been different had you had a successful relationship with a financially independent lady?... Or is it your attitudes towards women which prevented you from meeting such a person in the first place?

Chicken or the egg...   Did 'your truth' prevent you from meeting someone who 'wasn't in it for the money'?... It is perhaps some extremely jaded opinions which prevent many guys from having a normal, natural relationship with someone equal to themselves. 

With that said: It is noted that there is a huge spectrum of guys coming to Thailand for a multitude of reasons and the women they meet will also be spread across the spectrum, and it can be fair to suggest that a there is a majority of guys who for whatever reasons settled for someone who was financially dependent on them and as you wrote MaeJoeMTB, if they can live with the truth thats fair enough.

However, it would be quite foolish of these guys to make the flawed assumption that 'all women are in it for the money' which seems to be the 'line' of a few posters who have failed to experience anything other than 'paying for it in the end' as for many thats not the reason they came here, its not the reason they still live here. For many there are still choices and being in a position where they can meet women because they believe they are perceived (or are perceived) as being 'financially desirable'  or simply just 'paying for it out right' is not high up in their list of priorities....  

....maybe those priorities change with age, perhaps thats what posters such as yourself are alluding to and if so we also have to recognize that the priorities of those younger than ourselves are also quite different. 

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

However, it would be quite foolish of these guys to make the flawed assumption that 'all women are in it for the money' which seems to be the 'line' of a few posters who have failed to experience anything other than 'paying for it in the end' as for many thats not the reason they came here, its not the reason they still live here. For many there are still choices and being in a position where they can meet women because they believe they are perceived (or are perceived) as being 'financially desirable'  or simply just 'paying for it out right' is not high up in their list of priorities....  

Problem being, I've met lots of TV members, quite a few claiming 'different' wives, but having met the wives can categorically state they're flat out lying.

As for relative class, I've always had the same class as me, so no hi-so good family. 

Former wife , daughter of factory worker/dinner lady (degree).

Current wife, daughter of farmer/builder (2 years into degree).

Me, son of builder/hairdresser (degree/postgrad). 

Edited by MaeJoMTB

ah... the old "men pay for it one way or another argument"

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

'Old men'  So often so do young men! This is a Thailand forum, the majority of guys who come here for a relationship (sex visitors) are supporting their Thai g/f or wife and quite rightly so. Western man has massively greater earning opportunities than a Thai lady ! Relationships between those from wealthy countries and poor countries are always likely to be different.

In the days of equality i would like to think western / western relationships are different but in the majority of cases and ultimately are they ?

There is a difference between what you read ('Old men') and what the poster that you reacted to said ( ah... the old "men pay for it one way or another argument").

So funny!

Financially independent women are few and far between even in Western countries. Statistically, they are even fewer in Thailand. Then if you throw in the condition they have to be sexy and attractive as well, it becomes a big ask. I once knew a female lawyer who was earning $300K a year with one of the big firms. Nothing she wore (designer clothing) was going to make her look slim.

I've been the provider for two women in Australia, and one ( ongoing ) here. I don't have any hangups about socio-economic status.

The differences I have found is that in Australia it's an expected male function. Here, it's expected too. However, here it is a lot less expensive to be a provider, and I don't get any feminazi crap. So I'm very comfortable with the status quo.

12 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Problem being, I've met lots of TV members, quite a few claiming 'different' wives, but having met the wives can categorically state they're flat out lying.

As for relative class, I've always had the same class as me, so no hi-so good family. 

I have given up a long time ago trying to figure out whether you are thick and frustrated  or whether you have a special sense of humour.

But whatever.... I enjoy reading your posts.

14 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I do think that you place too much emphasis on having a woman , its like you need to have a woman , next to you  holding your hand .

4 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Financially independent women are few and far between even in Western countries. Statistically, they are even fewer in Thailand. Then if you throw in the condition they have to be sexy and attractive as well, it becomes a big ask. I once knew a female lawyer who was earning $300K a year with one of the big firms. Nothing she wore (designer clothing) was going to make her look slim.

I've been the provider for two women in Australia, and one ( ongoing ) here. I don't have any hangups about socio-economic status.

The differences I have found is that in Australia it's an expected male function. Here, it's expected too. However, here it is a lot less expensive to be a provider, and I don't get any feminazi crap. So I'm very comfortable with the status quo.

QUOTE: Financially independent women are few and far between even in Western countries.

You are talking about 2017 right?

Just now, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: Financially independent women are few and far between even in Western countries.

You are talking about 2017 right?

I believe I am. I don't know what it's like in your country; however, in Australia there is a constant stream of media articles pointing out how women are disadvantaged financially in relation to men - from what they earn, and what they retire on.

Yes, women earn less than men for the same jobs in my country too.

But that does not change the fact that they are more often than not, financially independent, that they are "providers" just like their husbands.

PS. In Thailand it is not uncommon that the woman is the provider, and her Thai husband is a leech, without a job, and not helping in the house.

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Yes, women earn less than men for the same jobs in my country too.

But that does not change the fact that they are more often than not, financially independent, that they are "providers" just like their husbands.

PS. In Thailand it is not uncommon that the woman is the provider, and her Thai husband is a leech, without a job, and not helping in the house.

Well, when you find one of those, AND she is to the same standard of care for my needs as my Thai GF, perhaps you should marry her.

52 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

ah... the old "men pay for it one way or another argument"

There is a difference between what you read ('Old men') and what the poster that you reacted to said ( ah... the old "men pay for it one way or another argument").

So funny!

When we are faced with such blinding intellect its hardly surprising that experiences differ so vastly.....

... lets face it, a financially independent, well heeled lady isn't going to be interested in spending much time with someone who has a reading comprehension of an 8 year old.....:violin:

Perhaps this is why for some the emphasis of this discussion has been placed on their achievement of paying for finding someone slim who would accept them and drawing the conclusion that all others must be of similar mind. 

For these sorts of minds understandably Thailand is a clear winner, whereas for many others it really is a multifaceted tossup as to whether on not 'home' or Thailand is the better place to live. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough... then you've been unlucky twice, or have twice chosen poorly... not everyone is in that same position. Could you have ever been in a position to meet a Thai lady of equal socio-economic-educational status? would your attitudes have been different had you had a successful relationship with a financially independent lady?... Or is it your attitudes towards women which prevented you from meeting such a person in the first place?

It never ceases to surprise me how Posters claiming to have successful relationships put it down to their amazing prowess at selection.. At the same time of course anybody who has a failed relationship is a loser ! 

1 minute ago, Gruff said:

It never ceases to surprise me how Posters claiming to have successful relationships put it down to their amazing prowess at selection.. At the same time of course anybody who has a failed relationship is a loser ! 

And your track record is?

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

lets face it, a financially independent, well heeled lady isn't going to be interested spending much time with some one of a reading comprehension of an 8 year old...

Nice guy you are aren't you? Yes i made a silly reading error, apologies but saying i have the reading comprehension of an 8 year old!  How insulting you are,

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Wondering if "easy going and accommodating attitude" = I like walking ATM's veri veri much? 

I would rather be a walking ATM for an easy going accommodating woman than for a bossy, demanding, selfish feminazi.