ID for Sending a Parcel

blackcab

My wife had to post a parcel (domestic EMS, not international) yesterday at Phra Kanong post office. She had to insert her Thai ID card into the card reader on the counter to complete the computerised process. I saw half a dozen other people sending parcels that also had their Thai ID cards in the card reader at the counter they attended.

I can only assume the government records the details of all parcels sent from this post office.

Is this a nationwide thing?

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

She had to insert her Thai ID card into the card reader on the counter to complete the computerised process.

So might this, in effect, mean that only Thai nationals are permitted to post parcels from Thai post offices these days?

If it does not, then how do foreigners wishing to send parcels complete the computerised process? Are card readers on post office counters capable of scanning passport photopages (in lieu of the Thai ID card)?

Or is the process completed manually by counter staff in the case of foreigners?

Edited by OJAS

21 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So might this, in effect, mean that only Thai nationals are permitted to post parcels from Thai post offices these days?

If it does not, then how do foreigners wishing to send parcels complete the computerised process? Are card readers on post office counters capable of scanning passport photopages (in lieu of the Thai ID card)?

Or is the process completed manually by counter staff in the case of foreigners?

Don't know about the working of the card readers, but do know foreigners can send parcels without any problems.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

It is completed manually by the worker who enters your passport number. It has to be shown to send internal and foreign EMS parcels and letters.

But this being Thailand only letters above a certain size: Last year I sent an A4 size letter to the British Embassy and on reaching the Post Office was sent back home to get my passport to be allowed to send it.

By chance a day or so later I had to send a greeting card by EMS , and the same guy served me. I pulled out my passport and he waved it away. Perhaps seeing my look of surprise mixed with irritation (as he had sent me packing two days earlier for not having my passport) he pointed at the card and said "small OK,  no passport!"

So now I know.

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Non Thai people can send parcels. You might be asked for your passport. The counter staff input details from your passport into the computer using the keyboard.

The card readers cannot scan a passport. They are only used to read a card that has been inserted.

15 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

yes and has been nationwide for about a year of course no doubt their will be the usual

confusion  and non conformity   with some offices

Just now, keithcresswell said:

I was asked for my passport recently when sending a letter abroad. When I said I didn't have it the girl said may pen rai and used her ID card.

They will take Drivers License...

Over the last year or two, I have posted quite a few parcels internationally, only twice in that time have I been asked for ID, the first time was a while back at the Post Office in Pattaya, they would only accept my passport and not my Thai License, the 2nd time was about 2 weeks ago at the Post Office in Na Jomtien where I normally go and I got away with my Thai Drivers license, I know another guy who has an Ebay store and he said he has to produce ID every time he posts something and has done for quite a while.

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

Thai driving licence or passport ok no problem .They do it manually for foreigners  .Your details are recorded on the receipt.

17 hours ago, Here It Is said:

I'm of the opinion that if you're asked for your ID in LOS then just present it.  End of.  

Yup, same in Chiang Mai. I just sent a parcel over to Yaso. ( this year and other years ) Gave the Postal clerk lady the parcel, and my passport when asked for it ( and 67 baht ) Got my receipt and passport back in 2, maybe  2 1/2 minutes. DONE!

You take your passport with you.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, OJAS said:

Foreigners can send parcels anywhere but must show passport or at some post office locatios a Thai drivers license is accepted, at my local my permanent resident card is accepted.

Why do Thais / foreigners have to show their ID?

Well maybe several reasons, one major reason is to try to stop illicit drugs being delivered by post.

At post office soi 5 jomtien or registered  letter my E.U Tax office pasport ....not with me gave Thai DL. And showed copy pasport...noted and ok..

Week before registered letter at mobile post van....nothing asked ...

I think we are close to become chipped ......?

Edited by david555