Are you drinking more alcohol in Thailand ?

Pik

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

All these little conceits -"I gave it up XX years ago", "Don't miss it at all", "Nothing worth drinking here", "Only craft beer", "Quality spirits" blah blah blah.

Very amusing.

Oi!

I admitted to drinking cheap plonk in Belgium and Chang here :smile:

I did used to drink a great deal here made worse by the fact it didn't affect me as quickly as it affected others, so I could drink a lot more, which is not a good thing.

I even found myself drinking early mornings.....because I could........ I live in the sticks so nobody cares because they all do up here as well, especially the Lao Khao.

I have quit three times in the last year for varying times, six months being the best.In fact, I have been off the booze, more than on it. I do get more done without booze. I am not drinking alcohol at the moment due to not wanting to and trying to get the weight down a bit by brisk walking and jogging.I find I am far more patient and tolerant without drink and it is noticeable by others.

I may or may not drink though when I get back to the UK but if I do, I will try to keep a lid on it.

I just love the draught Strongbow cider in England and red wine at dinner.( at sensible prices for a reasonable bottle)

I used to drink more wine in Australia, because I was getting it free. Good wines here are just too expensive, and by the time they have travelled from their country of origin, they are probably buggered anyway.

I was drinking every night here. Then a bout of unstoppable coughing had me abstaining from alcohol for three weeks, because I was on paracetamol. That plus alcohol is a big no-no for the liver.

Now, I abstain during the week and only drink on the weekends. Scotch whisky and local beer. I prefer Leo, for some reason Chang and Singha give me a headache.

Hint for the older guys - periodic abstention from alcohol does help the libido.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ....   everyday I drink piss just after a morning coffee through until around 8.00pm at night when i'm pissed and fall asleep.

:burp:

You forgot to mention the exercise that you do walking to and from the toilet regularly.  Unless,of course, you spend a lot of time in the condo pool. 

No, I don't drink anymore neither do I drink any less - Have developed a taste for Chang in the big bottles for home, then if I do go out, Tiger small in the bars.  No hard liquor, gave that up years ago, wine is too expensive for me here (I always feel like I am getting ripped off when I buy a bottle) so I gave it up entirely.   I have weighed closed to the same for over 12 years, give or take a kg or so, not even trying to lose weight.

Definitely no – but I enjoy en glass of wine (or two) with my dinner, however not every evening – I've never been a (heavy) drinker, and haven't change when moving to LoS; normally I enjoy a "night in the town" without any alcohol at all...:smile:

Back in Blighty when I lived there till '03, stoned every night after work to unwind. Rarely drank alcohol, maybe once a month with close mates that generally turned into an all night bender.

Here, don't (can't) smoke weed, but like to drink 2 large bottles of Chang on the balcony at the end of the day watching the sun go down....

6 hours ago, wump said:

Funny how everyone says they drink so little in Thailand? Look around Pattaya. It looks like most (>50%) of retirees seem to drink everyday. 

Just another thread where the comments don't match what we see and hear every day. If TV was read in the West more we would have retirees coming here  (not for sex tourism and cheap alcohol)  but instead to reduce their alcohol intake, and find a girl 20 plus years younger that had her own hiso job and was self supporting.

7 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Just another thread where the comments don't match what we see and hear every day. If TV was read in the West more we would have retirees coming here  (not for sex tourism and cheap alcohol)  but instead to reduce their alcohol intake, and find a girl 20 plus years younger that had her own hiso job and was self supporting.

Could be that the heavy drinkers are not posting and just the light drinkers are posting ?

Judging by the small response most of the readers must be tea teetotalers , or could it be that they are reluctant to reveal the truth . I certainly enjoy a few beers most evenings and I know of many others who do the same and there are a few who like a beer in the daytime as well .  I like to have my beer no earlier than 5 00 pm but mostly 6 00 pm  onward and never touch the top shelf .  I do the same in the UK and mostly in the house as pubs are too expensive at 4 pounds a pint and sometimes more , as opposed to 14 pounds for a box of Fosters 20 x 460 millimeters x 4% . .I sometimes ease off if my trousers are getting tight and the scales do not lie . Keeping fairly active by a few rounds of golf a week and odd jobs around the house etc helps .  The one difference that I make here in Thailand is that I always have a frozen glass lined with ice cubes into which I pour my cold beer from the fridge . That sounds good and I think I will go and get one now ,  cheers 

29 minutes ago, superal said:

Judging by the small response most of the readers must be tea teetotalers 

I'm a borderline alcoholic in Thailand, I usually start around 2pm (from 20-50 in the UK hardly a drink.)

I drink to forget ...................

The frozen class in the freezer is a good idea.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

7 hours ago, DefaultName said:

UK; out maybe once a fortnight.  Scowling bar staff, have to get own beer, etc,

LOS; out 3 nights a week.  Smiling bar staff, table service, etc.

So yes, drink more here.

That logic sums it up for me too. When I'm in Thailand, i'm in "relaxed, holiday mode" and going out for a drink is soooooo much more fun than in UK (whether female company is involved or not) So i'm out every night, even if only for 1 or 2 drinks, but sometimes a lot more.

Oddly, in Thailand, I never think of keeping booze in my room - always go out, but in UK pretty much the opposite is the case. Then again a bottle of spirits can last 6 months so it's pretty much an occasional tipple.

I'm lucky though - I've always had an inbuilt "enough mechanism" that sets off an alarm telling me "Don't have another drink, you'll be sorry"  Usually (!) I heed it but there are certain occasions when......... :saai:

Edited by VBF

I drink a lot less here but it is only because the body is getting old and does not need as much. Back in oz besides the beer I averaged a bottle of wine per night for 30 years plus the rum, brandy, tokay, port and muscat. Gave up the wine when i moved to Darwin as too hot to drink red, same as here. Still drink every day but maybe 2-3 Leo long necks (+ more now as we are harvesting rice) with the occasional local brandy or rum. I was born a shy person so drinking helped me overcome that. Besides it is enough to put up with my head for 8 hours a day. 4 hours of alcoholic stupor helps for the next day. But I would love a good port ot tokay.

The answer is no.  About the same.  I enjoy my beer but I drink mostly at home.  Too dangerous to drive on Thai roads sober let alone after a couple of beers.  As for Rum and Wine I only use it for cooking although my wife does enjoy her wine.

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Back in Blighty when I lived there till '03, stoned every night after work to unwind. Rarely drank alcohol, maybe once a month with close mates that generally turned into an all night bender.

Here, don't (can't) smoke weed, but like to drink 2 large bottles of Chang on the balcony at the end of the day watching the sun go down....

why don't (cant) smoke here Guzzi ??

11 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

As a newbie (well so your signature says), you may not know that the penalties for possession of weed in LOS are draconian!

There is no concept of "just a bit for personal use", so I rather suspect that Thaiguzzi is being sensibly cautious.

I think the best advice to anyone considering weed, hash, dope, whatever you call it, is think....think..... think again..........and then DON'T

Just marking yer card there mate! :smile:

Edited by VBF
Spelling

4 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

On holiday up here in the NE in '01 0r '02, before I moved here, it was everywhere in the villages. People grew it, old people would put in a soup, I walked around with a carrier bag full of the stuff in broad daylight puffing away, nobody batted an eyelid.

Then came Mr. T's War on Drugs in '06-7.....

Changed everything.

Just too risky these days.

I know a bit of Percy is only a slap on the wrist nowadays but it's just not worth the hassle.

Stick to my Chang here thank you very much.

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

As a newbie (well so your signature says), you may not know that the penalties for possession of weed in LOS are draconian!

There is no concept of "just a bit for personal use", so I rather suspect that Thaiguzzi is being sensibly cautious.

I think the best advice to anyone considering weed, hash, dope, whatever you call it, is think....think..... think again..........and then DON'T

Just marking yer card there mate! :smile:

Actually, possession of  small amounts of weed for personal use is not that bad nowadays. Perhaps away from the tourist hot spots it's better. Certainly not prison sentence material. I've known a couple of guys get caught inc an expat - night in the slammer, courtcase with a judge and a 5000 baht fine.

But yeah, not recommended in SE Asia in the 21st Century...

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

Could be that the heavy drinkers are not posting and just the light drinkers are posting ?

The heavy drinkers won't be able to remember whether they posted. Look for the posts that don't make much sense.