British woman and Canadian friend found dead while backpacking in Cambodia 'after taking over-the-counter medication'

geovalin

A British woman and her Canadian friend have died while backpacking in Cambodia.

Natalie Jade Seymour, 22, and 27-year-old Abbey Gail Amisola were reportedly found unresponsive in their bedroom in Monkey Republic guesthouse, Kampot, early on Tuesday.

They may have died after taking over-the-counter medicine to treat an illness, according to a post on a local tourism website.

A photo of Ms Seymour’s passport posted on Cambodia Expats Online reveals she was born in Stotfold, Bedfordshire.

Ms Amisola is believed to be from Winnipeg in the Canadian province of Manitoba.

read more https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/british-woman-and-canadian-friend-found-dead-while-backpacking-in-cambodia-a3690831.html

TWO backpackers who died on holiday in Cambodia have taken over-the-counter medicine for stomach bugs before their deaths.

British woman Natalie Jade Seymour, 22, and her Canadian friend Abbey Gail Amisola, 27, were found unconscious by staff in the Monkey Republic Guest House in the tourist hotspot of Kampot.

They were taken to hospital but couldn’t be revived.

As police investigate the cause of the women’s deaths, Ms Seymour’s mother, Wendy Bowler, said the last time she spoke to her daughter via WhatsApp, Ms Seymour complained of being unwell from food poisoning.

Natalie Seymour (pictured) died along with her friend Abbey Amisola while they were backpacking in Cambodia.

Natalie Seymour (pictured) died along with her friend Abbey Amisola while they were backpacking in Cambodia.Source:Facebook

“My daughter had already told me she wasn’t well and said she might go and get something to make her feel better,” Ms Bowler said, according to the UK’s Mirror.

“The hotel manager was going up and down with drinks and told them they should go to a medical centre.

“They decided to sleep it off but never woke up again.

read more http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/backpackers-in-cambodia-may-have-taken-stomach-bug-medicine-before-deaths/news-story/c31902791c1751b7835d87b954db9798

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I hope, for the families sake, that the investigative process is superior to that in Thailand....

Unfortunately not

And the capacity to do a propoer autopsy to ascertain cause of death is almost nil

best recourse is to get the bodies back to UK for autopsy if possible

If you get ill in Cambodia the best thing to do is get on a plane.  Everything is available over the counter but proper medical advise is very hard to come by.  I feel for the two girls who were obviously on an adventure but without reading the small print.  I think most of us have done it at some time. 

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not  sure how you could die from antibiotics.

OK one could have an allergy, but two at the same time, not likely.

Sounds like they took something else, voluntarily or involuntarily. 

Exactly ! And certainly not something over the counter....

One wonders if the "no questions asked" bug exterminators and their very-dangerous-in-the-wrong-hands insecticides have popped up in Cambo. Koh Phi-Phi says hi as would Chiang Mai's Downtown Inn except it was razed, every last brick.

19 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not  sure how you could die from antibiotics.

OK one could have an allergy, but two at the same time, not likely.

Sounds like they took something else, voluntarily or involuntarily. 

Possible that the medication (whatever it was, we don't know) they took had nothing to do with it  and that they died of what they had mistaken for food poisoning but was actually something else.

21 hours ago, Here It Is said:

I'd like to think that both the UK and Canadian authorities will be all over Cambodian authorities for a quick release of the bodies to their respective countries for proper autopsies.  

Very sad for both sets of families.

Definitely will not happen automatically with UK authorities and I doubt Canada either. 

The initiative and push would have to  some from their families. In which case their Embassy will provide logistical (but nto financial) assistance to the families in arranging repatriation of the bodies.

Their deaths got nothing to do with some drugs from a pharmacy . They had drinks taking up to their room all night .  So someone could have poisoned them or they mixed alcohol with some serious drugs.  

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Definitely will not happen automatically with UK authorities and I doubt Canada either. 

The initiative and push would have to  some from their families. In which case their Embassy will provide logistical (but nto financial) assistance to the families in arranging repatriation of the bodies.

No Canada embassy in Cambodia. UK help out.

22 hours ago, Briggsy said:

One wonders if the "no questions asked" bug exterminators and their very-dangerous-in-the-wrong-hands insecticides have popped up in Cambo. Koh Phi-Phi says hi as would Chiang Mai's Downtown Inn except it was razed, every last brick.

I won't discount that insecticide theory at all, i am not expert, but the symptoms could be similar to food poisoning.. ?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Hopefully the families will offer to pay for an autopsy if it isn't going to be done, otherwise they will never know. The obvious suspect is drugs, either by them or someone secretly giving them some

Except that they were ill -- ill enough that others urged them to go to hospital - before that.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:
 Except that they were ill -- ill enough that others urged them to go to hospital - before that.

Yes, could that not be drug induced?

Conjecture until the autopsies are concluded in their respective home nations.  Though, I suspect you're right.

17 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

This is why I always think that people living in Cambodia far from a Thai or Viet border really don't know what they are doing...

It's about one hour from Kampot to Vietnam. It's about 10 minutes  from that guesthouse to a good hospital with western doctors. skmh.org

" Two Canadian sisters who were found dead in their Phi Phi Island hotel room in 2012 were probably killed by phosphine, a deadly chemical used to kill bedbugs"

"As many as 20 tourist deaths since 2009 throughout Southeast Asia, many of them in Thailand, may be linked to the chemical"

The Thai authorities said it was blowfish, then drug overdose, then food poisoning. :sad:

Any similarities with this case??