Anyone using Firefox Quantum yet?

giddyup

Just updated today. Yes it's quicker, but that maybe because a lot of my extensions don't work in the new version and got disabled. Check your addons page before updating, you'll see which ones are ready for the upgrade and which ones you'll lose.

6 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Just updated today. Yes it's quicker, but that maybe because a lot of my extensions don't work in the new version and got disabled. Check your addons page before updating, you'll see which ones are ready for the upgrade and which ones you'll lose.

Yes, I just did a restart and was automatically upgraded to Quantum. Only have Adblock as an add-on.

16 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Ditto on that... I've been using the beta versions for the past month or so. And they've been much faster than the prior Firefox versions. And I don't think it had a lot to do with extensions.

Yes, when I first upgraded to Quantum, a bunch of my prior extensions would no longer work, including notably the LastPass password minder extension. But after some hunting, I was able to find replacement extensions for Quantum that replaced all but about two of my prior extensions. And even with those all added back, it's still faster.

The other thing to note is: thru all the nightly beta versions I've had the past month, it's been very stable. No problems with unexpected crashing or anything troublesome like that. So I hope that's a good sign.

From the NoScript website:

Where's NoScript for Firefox 57 "Quantum"?

2017-11-14: We're working hard to make NoScript for Quantum available to you as soon as possible, even later today if we're lucky enough, and definitely by the end of this week.

Please be patient: if you feel naked while you're waiting for the "brand new" NoScript, you can still use the "regular" 5.x on Firefox ESR. See you soon!

So end of the week I will give FF 57 a chance.

I tried to try it but couldn't get my bookmarks to import, it said the HTML file containing the exported books from Vivaldi was empty.  (It isn't, wrong format possibly.)  So  I loaded the xmarks extension to my current browser, Vivaldi, to sync the bookmarks then tried to add  xmarks to Firefox 57.  It didn't want to know.  So I've given up on it.

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

From the NoScript website:

So end of the week I will give FF 57 a chance.

Lack of NoScript lamented in this thread on Slashdot: https://ask.slashdot.org/story/17/11/15/2145242/slashdot-asks-have-you-switched-to-firefox-57

Some posters prefer the noscripting on Ublock Origin.

16 hours ago, lungbing said:

I tried to try it but couldn't get my bookmarks to import, it said the HTML file containing the exported books from Vivaldi was empty.  (It isn't, wrong format possibly.)  So  I loaded the xmarks extension to my current browser, Vivaldi, to sync the bookmarks then tried to add  xmarks to Firefox 57.  It didn't want to know.  So I've given up on it.

I use FVD Speed Dial with EverSync, keeps my speed dial and bookmarks in sync across Firefox, Vivaldi and Chrome on Windows and Linux. Both work in Quantum.

43 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Anyone got a solution for this?

OK, not too elegant but I made a bookmark folder for each day of week and dumped the Morning Coffee links in there. As I had hundreds, the URL list addon for Firefox helped me migrate the Morning Coffee lists into usable bookmarks by opening all in tabs and saving in bookmarks. A real PITA and rather rude to update me to Quantum without asking methinks.

Yep upgraded Yesterday, Thursday 16th that is.

On my old PC, with 32 bit system, I don't feel too much of a difference in speed.

But on my newer notebook, 64 bit,  there is a remarkable speed improvement.

The New Firefox57 works smooth, no problems.

The Add-ons as was announced are not all accepted by FF57;most are and no doubt some will become converted in next days/weeks.

I do miss Tab Groups dearly; found some alterntives that partly do the job.

the best so far for me is OneTab, icon a water drupplet. If you make some groups and lock them, they come close to Tab Groups.

another one tried , Tree Style Tab, is giving a list of open tabs, but does not give group characteristic, so not ideal , for me.

Love the New Firefox57

Edited by ardsong

I updated a few days ago, not impressed with the amount of clicks it takes to get to my bookmarks though and I cant see how to add a link into the tool bar to go straight to it.

I don't find it really any faster than the old one, it did seem quicker the first day, but a few days in it seems to have slowed down again, I've been using Firefox since it first came out.

1 minute ago, ardsong said:

The Add-ons as was announced are not all accepted by FF57;most are and no doubt some will become converted in next days/weeks.

I do miss Tab Groups dearly; found some alterntives that partly do the job.

the best so far for me is OneTab, icon a water drupplet. If you make some groups and lock them, they come close to Tab Groups.

another one tried , Tree Style Tab, is giving a list of open tabs, but does not give group characteristic, so not ideal , for me.

Love the New Firefox57

It is also my issue with it, Bookmarks, then Show All Bookmarks down the bottom opens a separate screen that kind of looks like the way it was with all of my folders in it.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:16 AM, Stocky said:

Exactly ! but they can dream to REALLY be quicker than Chrome.

Only people who dream that Mozilla is not a FBI snitch will use it, because anyway Chrome will always be better for many other reasons if you work with Google services.

Lost all my add-ons , no option to roll back to previous version , tabs , address bar favourites all appear to be on top of each other , looks chaotic.

Mad at myself for doing the update without reading the downside of the update.

I suggest that everyone not wishing to be automatically updated to FF 57 go into Tools | Options | General and turn off Firefox automatic updates. Now.

I tried out the portable version nekkid, without copying over my profile. It does seem remarkably faster--with no add-ons, anyway! Impressive. Then I saw how few add-ons I like are supported at present. Bummer. Can't change over now, maybe not for quite a while. Fortunately if I need an updated browser, Chrome (or rather SRWare Iron) has most everything. And so does Pale Moon, including NoScript. Just have to import Bookmarks, ScrapbookX, and whatever if needed. So that's that. Waiting . . . .

On 11/15/2017 at 11:36 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, when I first upgraded to Quantum, a bunch of my prior extensions would no longer work, including notably the LastPass password minder extension.

Just an update re the LastPass extension. LP took a lot of grief from its users when Quantum came out and the new browser was incompatible with LP.  Or to put it the other way, LP didn't offer an updated extension that was compatible with the beta versions of Quantum.

But all along, LP promised that they'd have an updated/compatible extension available by the time Quantum came out of beta. And it appears they have kept that promise. In the past day or so, I was able to download and install the LastPass extension into Quantum and it seems to work just fine with ver. 57.0.

Yes it is faster, you will notice particularly on this site with all the adverts there are to load!

Your Firefox should upgrade automatically although if you are on Vista  you won't get it. I believe XP too.

Sadly under Win 7 I still seem to be unable to play some video streams under the new Firefox which appear to work under Chrome or Win 10.

I have always had FF as my default browser. After the FF update along with a Win 10 update ; nothing but problems.

A stupid  change to the taskbar and now the Bookmark icon has disappeared

Some sites have  a 30 sec delay at each scroll down; sometimes a long delay at the Close down X.

Reinstalled FF Quantum 57 and same problems but instead of a 30 sec. delay, now 8 secs.

And a pause at typing in a letter, you tend to try again and end up with 2 or 3 letters which have to be deleted and that has a pause .

So switched to IE as default browser and most things OK now. Except when  try to download a video from  Youtube the Realplayer Download box which comes down from the top is no longer there. So have to switch back to FF if I want to download videos.

47 minutes ago, William T said:

I have always had FF as my default browser. After the FF update along with a Win 10 update ; nothing but problems.

A stupid  change to the taskbar and now the Bookmark icon has disappeared

Some sites have  a 30 sec delay at each scroll down; sometimes a long delay at the Close down X.

Reinstalled FF Quantum 57 and same problems but instead of a 30 sec. delay, now 8 secs.

And a pause at typing in a letter, you tend to try again and end up with 2 or 3 letters which have to be deleted and that has a pause .

So switched to IE as default browser and most things OK now. Except when  try to download a video from  Youtube the Realplayer Download box which comes down from the top is no longer there. So have to switch back to FF if I want to download videos.

And when you will finally understand, you will switch to Chrome, which is of course the best, fastest, most reliable, with so many functions that no other browser offers.

No status bar (which is not news) but also does not run the add-on Status-4-Evar, which has kept the status bar alive.  ( I griped about this in another thread when 55 came out.)  I have no idea why they did away with it, except change for the sake of change?  So I'm still holding on at 54.0.1, see for how long.  I have about 50 add-ons, only 8 or so run in this new version.  Let's see how the add-on developers handle the change.

Yes, if you upgrade there is no going back, so be sure to make a copy of your (for WIndows users)

C:\Users\Your_Name_Here\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

directory to a place out of harm's way; if you decide not to go with the new version copy it back to its place.  Or if you do regular backups of your C: drive you should be able to pull it from the archives.  If you're strapped you can try restoring from FEBE but that might not fly.

Edited by bendejo

7 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

And when you will finally understand, you will switch to Chrome, which is of course the best, fastest, most reliable, with so many functions that no other browser offers.

You are probably right. I have been with Firefox for so long but occasionally switch to Chrome to play some video streams or bypass slow loading of sites. When I get the Chrome set as I like it likely that will become my permanent browser.

Poster above... you can easily configure the new Firefox and put your Bookmarks back in! I missed my Bookmarks and Bookmark folders too.

Edited by jacko45k