Why do you think Costco, Apple and WalMart chose to not have a presence in Thailand

watcharacters

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/16/2017 at 12:27 PM, mfd101 said:

Well, you've obviously got your own example there, to start with.

We assume that people will behave as they do (or, I suspect, used to) in The West: recruited, trained, performing, promoted, performing, rewarded etc. And no doubt there are some like that here but I suspect they are hard to find. My observation is of young people with no such interest & certainly no loyalty to the organisation that recruits them & trains them.

One young female acquaintance in BKK several years ago (early 30s) changed jobs as often as she changed her mobile number ("for good luck") - about once every 2 months. And I have other similar examples. In my own family a BIL with a steady job as manager of a garage has just (literally) walked away from it to return to the farm/village with his wife & kids & (now) no visible means of support - didn't even say farewell & thanks to his rich boss who has looked after him for many years & to whom he owes (as to many others) some considerable funds ... Building a large Western-style house in the provinces over the last 18 months was an education (for me): Little pride in their work, 40% OK is OK, constant demands for more money to do the job, just disappear when the going gets tough - and that wasn't just the workers, that was the bosses.

As my partner says: "Thai people want to be rich but they don't want to work for it."

My examples are anecdotal but there would be many 'Western' businessmen with similar experiences: Never pay your staff in advance because they just disappear - always keep the wages in arrears; different concepts of 'service'  & of time. And on & on.

I'm sorry to say the scenario you describe is all to common here.  It's quite sad.  The Buddhist forum here on TV is quite good.  I should spend more time there.

Edited by joeyg