Why do you think Costco, Apple and WalMart chose to not have a presence in Thailand

watcharacters

Many Thais buy food daily and not stock up at places like Costco. I have taken up this way of life and love it.  Live near many talaats near on nut. Talaats are so cheap and food fresh that I can’t see how Big C and Tesco compete. Talaat vendors are mostly pleasant and helpful as you see them almost daily.  I do buy some things at Tesco and Big C and they are always busy but the food and drinks are much cheaper at talaats. 

In the USA used to shop once a week or two weeks for food and buy in bulk.  Big grocery cart full. But now enjoy shopping daily and not storing all that food in my condo.  Something nice about letting my eyes daily choose the food I want to eat instead of frozen food or bulk food purchases in advance.  Something nice about seeing the same Thai ladies and gents daily selling their products. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I wish Apple good luck  if they open in Bangkok. Where on earth are they going to get the staff, bi lingual at least ? How will they manage the Genius Bar ? How about the Apple help service over the phone ? I live in France. Due to two technical problems, I planned a phone call fro Apple. Dead on time, they called, ( once from Ireland Cook, once from France ) and walked me through the repairs. Are they going to beable to offer this service in Thailand ? While in my Nice store, there were a German couple who were having an appointment there, in German.

i hope this is going to work in Thailand, but I have my doubts.

"Absolutely no competition here Big C Tesco Makro all the same high price selling the same stuff  need Liddle Aldi Asda Morrisons Sainsburys to shake the cartel of high prices up and something different to buy cheaper. And there lies the probable  answer the door is shut as money is being made"

Leave BRITISH retail out of the equation...20 years behind the USA. Bring in TRADER JOE"S...!

That's retail...!

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Samui v London

If I was asked to count the differences, I would never in a thousand years have considered the iPhone repairability aspect.

Flights were already booked. It just meant doing without the phone for a week or so.

There is no official repair service in Samui, and as luck would have it, because it was still under warrantee, I got a replacement in the UK. :)

Arranged a business meeting in a coffee shop opposite the Apple Store, so killed two birds with one stone. Happy days.

21 hours ago, Here It Is said:

Thanks for clarity.

What I would say is that your average Thai buyer knows no better, i.e. purchasing from iStudio, which appears to be about as close as it gets to an Apple store.

Saying that, at least Thais have the option of purchasing on the Apple Thailand website.  Not sure what level of protection that provides but surely a step up from iStudio.

Would avoid iStudio at all cost.

Terrible service, and the staff is somehow even worse than their service on repairs...

English speaking staff on hand, no need, 

was the statement I got from the ladyboy behind the counter, 

as they asked if I had a boyfriend / girlfriend that I could bring to the store to explain what I needed to have done to my iPad mini?

Even though I displayed the screen was broken, 

staff felt if was beneath them to explain or try to explain what was required for the repair.

Had a mate mistakenly take his computer in for repair,

was informed @ the time of drop-off, 

it would take only two weeks to repair,

and in the end it took four months.

Staffs response to repeated visits to obtain the repaired computers..

."what do you want me to do, 

I'm not the one repairing it, I told you maybe it will arrive this week". 

So they were able to speak English when they chose to, but as normal, 

only when their back was against the wall, and they needed to defend themselves, 

for their misinformed statements previously @ time of dropping off the computer, 

or the several visits which ensued.

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Well I wish Apple good luck  if they open in Bangkok. Where on earth are they going to get the staff, bi lingual at least ? How will they manage the Genius Bar ? How about the Apple help service over the phone ? I live in France. Due to two technical problems, I planned a phone call fro Apple. Dead on time, they called, ( once from Ireland Cook, once from France ) and walked me through the repairs. Are they going to beable to offer this service in Thailand ? While in my Nice store, there were a German couple who were having an appointment there, in German.

i hope this is going to work in Thailand, but I have my doubts.

Give Apple a chance and surely better than what's on offer at present.  The majority of Europeans can perfectly converse in English.

They'll find the bilingual staff, don't worry about that [English / Thai].

3 hours ago, Here It Is said:

I think you'll find they're resellers, i.e. not official Apple stores, joeyg.  

The only official Apple store in LOS, at present, is their online presence.

Correct, forgot to mention that.  There's a couple that were set up very similar to official Apple stores.  Had a couple of warranty issues on a MacBook Air that were handled very well. With one month left on extended warranty one of the usb ports went bad.  Had to replace the mother board.  Shortly after new screen basically new machine now.

3 hours ago, Here It Is said:

I think you'll find they're resellers, i.e. not official Apple stores, joeyg.  

The only official Apple store in LOS, at present, is their online presence.

I know when they worked on my computer they sent it to Bangkok or Chonburi/City I forget now.

4 hours ago, tkramer said:

"Absolutely no competition here Big C Tesco Makro all the same high price selling the same stuff  need Liddle Aldi Asda Morrisons Sainsburys to shake the cartel of high prices up and something different to buy cheaper. And there lies the probable  answer the door is shut as money is being made"

Leave BRITISH retail out of the equation...20 years behind the USA. Bring in TRADER JOE"S...!

That's retail...!

Trader joes has lost most its luster, but still would be the biggest thing to hit Thailand since the Japanese Army.  Don't know how well it would  do with quadruple wine prices but they have been selling Thai cashew nuts for less than any store in Thailand for decades( in the US)..kind of lime Canadian Maple syrup...cheaper in the US..or a long list of countries selling French wine cheaper than the French.  No one in their right mind would want to basically be a tax collector.  Been the curse of the racetrack business.  

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, observer90210 said:

Here, but they seem to be franchised stores and not the official stores with the efficient Apple style customer service, but I may be mistaken of course !

https://locate.apple.com/th/en/sales/?pt=all&lat=13.7522222&lon=100.4938889

Not sure about Bangkok, but they have one in Tuk Com as well as Central Festival.

At least I did some customer service there, more than I got ordering on-line.

A real Apple store there would be nice.

LeoTex

Big retail stores cannot operate as a few stores they need a chain to make it viable with massive turnover.   The only country not in North America or not a 1st world country is 1 store in Vietnam (maybe a test case, source a lot of stuff from Vietnam?).   I just don't see it being a place that they feel is worth expanding into until they have spread throughout Europe, and are then moving to secondary markets that are not as profitable as primary markets.  Other than maybe canned tomatoes (not from Thailand) I personally cannot think what in bulk is worth buying and then finding months later it was overrun by mold.  I just don't see it making much business sense in the short or mid term.

The stores I would like to see in Thailand would be something like a Home Depot and a large tech warehouse type place.  Not interested in Walmarts or Costcos.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

50 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Big retail stores cannot operate as a few stores they need a chain to make it viable with massive turnover.   The only country not in North America or not a 1st world country is 1 store in Vietnam (maybe a test case, source a lot of stuff from Vietnam?).   I just don't see it being a place that they feel is worth expanding into until they have spread throughout Europe, and are then moving to secondary markets that are not as profitable as primary markets.  Other than maybe canned tomatoes (not from Thailand) I personally cannot think what in bulk is worth buying and then finding months later it was overrun by mold.  I just don't see it making much business sense in the short or mid term.

The stores I would like to see in Thailand would be something like a Home Depot and a large tech warehouse type place.  Not interested in Walmarts or Costcos.

Home Pro or Thai Watsadu can give Home Depot or Lowes a run for their money.  Staff training seems to be getting better  and better over the years. Tuc Com on Pattaya Thai, 6 floors,  has about anything you can think of. If they don't my computer guy will get it for you.  There are a couple of electronics warehouses in BKK that are more massive than I've seen  in new York or LA.

12 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Costco - let’s hope not- one of the worst shopping experiences ( well maybe not I find Makro absolutely vile ) 

It’s probably down to profitability- nothing more .

Costco in San Diego was excellent.  Best prices and quality on Organic Foods, booze and office supplies, impossible to beat.  I don't care for Macro just because I mostly shop for one.  What makes it "absolutely vile" for you.  Curious?

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Neeranam said:

Terrible customer service from Apple shops.

Please no Wal-Mart, we don't don't want fatties on motorized carts here.

I know nothing about Costco, but I'm exceedingly happy no Walmart here. Corporate scum, from everything I've ever read about them. Apple- I'd never buy anything from them, but far as I know they don't undercut the competition and pay their staff as little as possible.

16 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Costco - let’s hope not- one of the worst shopping experiences ( well maybe not I find Makro absolutely vile ) 

It’s probably down to profitability- nothing more .

What's your problem with Makro? My wife used to work there and they paid as much as elsewhere, and prices were comparable with Big C. I saw no problems with shopping there and some good specials.

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

Home Pro or Thai Watsadu can give Home Depot or Lowes a run for their money.  Staff training seems to be getting better  and better over the years. Tuc Com on Pattaya Thai, 6 floors,  has about anything you can think of. If they don't my computer guy will get it for you.  There are a couple of electronics warehouses in BKK that are more massive than I've seen  in new York or LA.

Everyone sells the same small set of stuff -- never even the complete lineups of major suppliers.  

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know nothing about Costco, but I'm exceedingly happy no Walmart here. Corporate scum, from everything I've ever read about them. Apple- I'd never buy anything from them, but far as I know they don't undercut the competition and pay their staff as little as possible.

Sorry mate but me thinks you need to go back to the investigation (google) drawing board to  retrieve a few accurate facts.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Regarding Apple and how they treat their employees, you're being kind.  Ever heard of Foxconn in China?  They assemble the iPhones for Apple.  They made the news because of extremely poor working conditions and employees committing suicide.  They are subcontractors, certainly, but they still work for Apple.  Anyways....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/18/foxconn-life-death-forbidden-city-longhua-suicide-apple-iphone-brian-merchant-one-device-extract

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Everyone sells the same small set of stuff -- never even the complete lineups of major suppliers.  

like i said if I can't get it myself my guy at Tuc Com will.  Excellent resources are important everywhere. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What's your problem with Makro? My wife used to work there and they paid as much as elsewhere, and prices were comparable with Big C. I saw no problems with shopping there and some good specials.

Yep i've had numerous trips there with friends and their Thai families, mostly in Samut Prakan.  seemed like they were doing a huge business and a pretty good job...

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Regarding Apple and how they treat their employees, you're being kind.  Ever heard of Foxconn in China?  They assemble the iPhones for Apple.  They made the news because of extremely poor working conditions and employees committing suicide.  They are subcontractors, certainly, but they still work for Apple.  Anyways....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/18/foxconn-life-death-forbidden-city-longhua-suicide-apple-iphone-brian-merchant-one-device-extract

You're right I've heard more about the Apple suicides than combat veterans suicides.  makes ya wonder.

I believe it is all about customs and duty. They have a sister version of Costco in the Philippines. But, they are far more import friendly, and the duty seems to be far lower. Plus they have a far better relationship with the US, and the culture is far more western. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet, culturally. They do not even have a wholesale culture here. Many people who own stores buy retail, from Makro, to stock their stores. How do companies get away with avoiding selling wholesale to all, except the big grocery chains, and Makro? This place is beyond incomprehensible. I think that is what some of us like about Thailand. 

The best tip I ever heard from a veteran of the place was "when in Thailand never, ever try to apply common sense and reason, to that which you see happening around you".

On 11/16/2017 at 12:27 AM, mfd101 said:

Well, you've obviously got your own example there, to start with.

We assume that people will behave as they do (or, I suspect, used to) in The West: recruited, trained, performing, promoted, performing, rewarded etc. And no doubt there are some like that here but I suspect they are hard to find. My observation is of young people with no such interest & certainly no loyalty to the organisation that recruits them & trains them.

One young female acquaintance in BKK several years ago (early 30s) changed jobs as often as she changed her mobile number ("for good luck") - about once every 2 months. And I have other similar examples. In my own family a BIL with a steady job as manager of a garage has just (literally) walked away from it to return to the farm/village with his wife & kids & (now) no visible means of support - didn't even say farewell & thanks to his rich boss who has looked after him for many years & to whom he owes (as to many others) some considerable funds ... Building a large Western-style house in the provinces over the last 18 months was an education (for me): Little pride in their work, 40% OK is OK, constant demands for more money to do the job, just disappear when the going gets tough - and that wasn't just the workers, that was the bosses.

As my partner says: "Thai people want to be rich but they don't want to work for it."

My examples are anecdotal but there would be many 'Western' businessmen with similar experiences: Never pay your staff in advance because they just disappear - always keep the wages in arrears; different concepts of 'service'  & of time. And on & on.

Thank you so much for your answer and insight.  It explains a great deal.  I could not live like that.  I myself have always been terrified of not having a roof over my head.