Riding in Thailand - any precautions?

Barnabe

6 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

They can still manage to be pleasant and do their job can't they? Is it just the fact that they are enforcing regulations you find unpleasant? Not sure what your point is to be fair

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My problem ? The most corrupted rats of the world checking innocent people ! Got it ? Need pills ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this forum with more attention and you will end a bit smarter.

I’ll tell you what I have read in the last 3-4 days...

Two other threads where you’ve claimed to know everything about Savanaket and everything about beaches in Thailand.

In both threads it’s been well proved your knowledge of both has been zero - same at this thread...

You, my friend, are a trumpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, CLW said:

Sounds like you used the main road/highways.
I did several trips from Bangkok to northeast and east with not much traffic on the road.

Looking back, I can say it was a good mix. Maybe 40 highway/60 minor roads.

Been navigating with maps only. Honda Cb500X.

Yes, I didn't mean to say there was always a lot of traffic but one cannot really go for long stretches without getting stuck behind a slow pickup, truck, bus, samlor on two lane roads many times a day.

OP, may I suggest a very nice and rather safe area to ride a bike?

Take a bus to Pakchong, from Pakchong a songthaew towards Khao Yai National Park.

There is a motorbike rental shop not far from the entrance to the park. Ride inside the park is great (beware free roaming elephants), ride outside the park through lovely rural areas with rather little traffic, take the road from Khao Yai to Wang Nam Kheaw and back to Khao Yai.

Avoid the weekends and holidays if possible.

OP, may I suggest a very nice and rather safe area to ride a bike?
Take a bus to Pakchong, from Pakchong a songthaew towards Khao Yai National Park.
There is a motorbike rental shop not far from the entrance to the park. Ride inside the park is great (beware free roaming elephants), ride outside the park through lovely rural areas with rather little traffic, take the road from Khao Yai to Wang Nam Kheaw and back to Khao Yai.
Avoid the weekends and holidays if possible.
Agree with that. During the weekdays you're most likely being alone in the National Park. Visit Chokchai Farm (Milk and Beef), Thai Danish dairy, another organic dairy farm (I forgot the name) and Suwan Farm (sweet corn and sweet corn milk) in the area. Right now until I think Feb 2018 is a nice flower exhibition in Wang Nam Keaw.

Awesome tips, thanks guys.

I see this is a very contentious issue, and I appreciate all feedback given.

I'll definitely avoid the main roads, and will get a Pcx or cbr150r for the longer trips. I'll buy a good helmet when I'm in BKK, as well as gloves and jacket with all the armour inside for the long trips.

I'm a pretty defensive rider and I don't speed, as I'm over 30 and only started riding a couple of years ago. I've known many people in my small hometown that lost their life and limb on a motorbike during my teens and twenties so I'm extremely careful.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:47 AM, Barnabe said:

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Does the police actively check it? I'm taking my motorcycle licence back home but due to the back and forth it will take a few months.

Any bad stories dealing with the police otherwise?

Don't ride around BKK at all, especially if you are a novice. Rent a bike once you get to your destination.

1 hour ago, Djw6 said:

Don't ride around BKK at all, especially if you are a novice. Rent a bike once you get to your destination.

Guys, 

Not sure what what you're talking about in a Motorcycle forum, don't ride around BKK? Do you drive a e-wheelchair with max 15km/h THAN your right.

Riding a 125cc scooter on the highway, SHIT, I would never never do that, you can see the vulture above you waiting for their dinner, a good scooter

is 120km/h maybe more, with this vehicle, you're undergear outside the city, such a thing is good for a visit in the 7/11 nothing more. 

The positive here is you can ride with most of the EU driving CAR licencees, that say all. Most of the guys have 0 experience when they sit the first time

on such a hoover. Most of them you see complaining about it here in the forums, Thailand traffic, terrible ..... 

Having a Biker Licence and 20 years riding on 1000cc experience is something different,  I think starting on those 300cc (i thought a while my wife have fun with this toy)

is good experience,  if you want longerm drive bigger 500-1200ccm. I've 2 Bikes at the moment a CBR650F and a CBR1000RR, I take the 650 for scooting inside Bangkok,

that a lot fun, there is  enough Power ~100HP and max speed 225kmh ... the funny thing here, a cool exhaust, and absolute everyone take care for you, maximum fun for me,

even the cars give you more space if you're on traffic jam, it is expected you pass them. After a while you're used to it.  Outside the City, on tours, the 650cc has too less

power, the Fireblade is the better toy for this, at the moment I'm more in the BMW S1000rr I would love to test it, for now my wet dream.

I'm riding for the last 6 years with big bikes in Thailand, outside the city, people absolute take care for big-bikes. Inside the city you meet there the scooter guys, they

take care also, car driver (mostly) are polite and give you access in the middle lane. Mostly you meet friendly driver (the one with the super-cars also also friendly :)

Absolutely no problem, never had an accident nor I or someone else crashed into me. If you ever ride in EU and did lane splitting you just loose your licence ...

Compared the freedom i have here to other countries, Thailand is great for riding.

My advise is search a bit on youtube, about riding in Thailand and than decide for yourself.            

Nice ride outside: 

Nice ride inside BKK 

Guys, 

Not sure what what you're talking about in a Motorcycle forum, don't ride around BKK? Do you drive a e-wheelchair with max 15km/h THAN your right.

Riding a 125cc scooter on the highway, SHIT, I would never never do that, you can see the vulture above you waiting for their dinner, a good scooter
is 120km/h maybe more, with this vehicle, you're undergear outside the city, such a thing is good for a visit in the 7/11 nothing more. 

The positive here is you can ride with most of the EU driving CAR licencees, that say all. Most of the guys have 0 experience when they sit the first time
on such a hoover. Most of them you see complaining about it here in the forums, Thailand traffic, terrible ..... 

Having a Biker Licence and 20 years riding on 1000cc experience is something different,  I think starting on those 300cc (i thought a while my wife have fun with this toy)
is good experience,  if you want longerm drive bigger 500-1200ccm. I've 2 Bikes at the moment a CBR650F and a CBR1000RR, I take the 650 for scooting inside Bangkok,
that a lot fun, there is  enough Power ~100HP and max speed 225kmh ... the funny thing here, a cool exhaust, and absolute everyone take care for you, maximum fun for me,
even the cars give you more space if you're on traffic jam, it is expected you pass them. After a while you're used to it.  Outside the City, on tours, the 650cc has too less
power, the Fireblade is the better toy for this, at the moment I'm more in the BMW S1000rr I would love to test it, for now my wet dream.

I'm riding for the last 6 years with big bikes in Thailand, outside the city, people absolute take care for big-bikes. Inside the city you meet there the scooter guys, they
take care also, car driver (mostly) are polite and give you access in the middle lane. Mostly you meet friendly driver (the one with the super-cars also also friendly :)
Absolutely no problem, never had an accident nor I or someone else crashed into me. If you ever ride in EU and did lane splitting you just loose your licence ...
Compared the freedom i have here to other countries, Thailand is great for riding.

My advise is search a bit on youtube, about riding in Thailand and than decide for yourself.            

Nice ride outside: 
[/url]  
Nice ride inside BKK 

No comments on your explanations about speed, cc and horsepower.
Just shaking my head...

12 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I’ll tell you what I have read in the last 3-4 days...

Two other threads where you’ve claimed to know everything about Savanaket and everything about beaches in Thailand.

In both threads it’s been well proved your knowledge of both has been zero - same at this thread...

You, my friend, are a trumpet.

abcdefghijkl...

learn how to read correctly and then you will (maybe) understand that I am right in both thread.

so pass you way, you still have a lot to learn obviously.

20 years living travelling in Thailand, I guess that I know beaches and Savanakhet a lot better than anybody om both threads. But I am still wondering how happy can be some people to be just as ridiculous as their dad ?

abcdefghijkl...

learn how to read correctly and then you will (maybe) understand that I am right in both thread.

so pass you way, you still have a lot to learn obviously.

20 years living travelling in Thailand, I guess that I know beaches and Savanakhet a lot better than anybody om both threads. But I am still wondering how happy can be some people to be just as ridiculous as their dad ?

You’re funny - too funny

On 11/16/2017 at 7:00 PM, pearciderman said:

An IDP will always be accepted, and a UK licence, most times.

Sweeping statement.

It is the cars/trucks that will hit you, not other bikes.

Essentially, you don't have a clue what you are on about.

..been hit by 2 bikes

and knocked down,

so far...

39 minutes ago, CLW said:
1 hour ago, muan said:

arguing isn't your strength right? Maybe try it with the 125cc in BKK and come back to us?  

Thank you. 125cc is perfect inside Bangkok. Not only for me when I look at the other riders around me.

Agreed! That is what I've said too !!! But an suggestion to the original question was, don't ride around, until you not living at Don Muan or Nakhorn and drive every day

to Silom for work, best thing is this 125-150cc, I call it my 7/11 Bike. Perfectly for few kilometers. for more you're fucxxd.  

Back to the original question, is this 125cc or 150cc good for  Weekend Trips as example he asked for Hua Hin.

Assuming you already had a great riding experience in Thailand with all kind of Bikes, I would asked how many times you were

properly with your 125cc Scooter in HuaHin (not loaded by the train;) I would bet never. No one would ever come to this Idea :) 

Therefore you need more performance. As example the 300cc runs around 170, the normal travelspeed for cars on Highway 35 is around 90-110,

on Highway 4 its a bit faster 110-135, if you have a buddy full packed, you're already its limit. Technically its possible, but it doesn't make sense.

It isn't really fun, better go with a 500cc or more.         

You're shaking head post disqualify you directly and put you into a corner with them without clue, I would love a discussion about Thai Racecircuits

how a ZX10r, S1000rr, Fireblade, S Ducati act if you out of a corner, you give full gas, whats going on with different bikes the ZX10, too slow.

If someone interested too feel free to PM me, I'll not anymore answer such daydreamers which 'drive' every day from Silom to Lumpini and call

them-self as Bikeradvisors. 

A idea here is, if it is a must be a 125cc (maybe has also no Bigbike licence) the Bangkok - HuaHin Train pick it up and unload it on your Destination.  

Cheers!      

Agreed! That is what I've said too !!! But an suggestion to the original question was, don't ride around, until you not living at Don Muan or Nakhorn and drive every day
to Silom for work, best thing is this 125-150cc, I call it my 7/11 Bike. Perfectly for few kilometers. for more you're fucxxd.  

Back to the original question, is this 125cc or 150cc good for  Weekend Trips as example he asked for Hua Hin.

Assuming you already had a great riding experience in Thailand with all kind of Bikes, I would asked how many times you were
properly with your 125cc Scooter in HuaHin (not loaded by the train;) I would bet never. No one would ever come to this Idea :) 
Therefore you need more performance. As example the 300cc runs around 170, the normal travelspeed for cars on Highway 35 is around 90-110,
on Highway 4 its a bit faster 110-135, if you have a buddy full packed, you're already its limit. Technically its possible, but it doesn't make sense.

You're shaking head post disqualify you directly and put you into a corner with them without clue, I would love a discussion about Thai Racecircuits
how a ZX10r, S1000rr, Fireblade, S Ducati act if you out of a corner, you give full gas, whats going on with different bikes the ZX10, too slow.
If someone interested too feel free to PM me, I'll not anymore answer such daydreamers which 'drive' every day from Silom to Lumpini and call

A idea here is, if it is a must be a 125cc (maybe has also no Bigbike licence) the Bangkok - HuaHin Train pick it up and unload it on your Destination.  

Cheers!      
You name it, these big bikes you mention make only sense on a racetrack but not on Thai roads.

Riding in the country is less dangerous than the city.

A 150cc., like CBR or MSlaz, R15, &c.

can cruise 120,

no perspiration,

hit 140.

[one-up, with equipage.]

If I were a young guy

getting my first Thai ride,

it would be MSlaz.

Best 150cc. available.

&

I may get one for my 70th happy birthday.

Edited by papa al

9 hours ago, muan said:

Cheers!      

You obviously prefer big big bikes and the power they have. Nothing wrong with that of course. But small bike are just as much fun  in different ways.

Leaving bkk on a PCX for example and riding the small roads around Kanchanaburi slowly and taking in the views would be as much fun for some people, as you (for example) racing around the Mae Hong Son loop and your big bike.

In fact i have ridden the MHS loop on both a PCX and Versys, both were fun in different ways.

Edited by chrissables