Double glass in Condo anyone?

10 hours ago, taiping said:

I realize you may prefer aluminium frames, but last year I changed out my Bangkok condo lounge aluminium frame windows with double-glass PVC frames with expensive Low-E Insulated Glass, and I'm very pleased with the result.

ARC Component Manufacturing Rayong Co. Ltd, Tel: 038-223893. Ask to speak to Andreas Wegener. German engineering with a few Thai characteristics!

got the prices on a bill? :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noise reduction, better thermal insulation. You could also use reflective glass which reduces direct sunlight if that is a problem. If your current sliding door is older style you may get bugs and geckos inside that a more modern one would keep out. Better security with the modern ones.

I doubt a second glass panel can be fitted to an existing single panel, there needs to be an air space for best results. It would also require the outer frame to be replaced. It is possible you would need permission off the building committee as it would change the outer appearance.

Get over it!
some with install window film, some hang up a screens, other install plants and umbrellas , others cover their balcony with LED lights and now ur heart breaks?
Its something i just don't like, i see it in the UK, nice georgian tenements ruined by everyone doing their own thing with double glazing. I realise in Thailand its the norm to make the condo block look cheap and nasty. I guess it's practically impossible for everyone to change at the same time with the same style.

53 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I know somebody who had double glazing installed in their condo next to a busy road.

They can now sit in silence watching the sunset admiring the finger prints left by the installers sealed between the sheets of glass!

Would have been better to wall up the door opening, install a camera to the outside, and mount a giant LED screen on the inside.

Doubt that door would ever be opened anyway.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I've been to literally dozens of local aluminium shops and didnt find one that carries decent quality frames suitable for double-glazing.They all stock the thin 1mm-1.2mm frames which bend and flex like nobody's business, and which have runners that are hugely under-spec and can barely support the weight of a single pane of thin glass. Cheap and nasty.

Very true, if one's want the overall package of double pane. But the alternative is if one just wants cheap etc. and we know there are guys out there.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Everyone getting different windows really makes a condo block look cheap and nasty

That is why the replacement double-glazed PVC windows I installed in my 33-year old condo were designed to be similar to the original aluminium framed windows, with 3 panels. As a precautionary step, I also obtained the appoval of the condo management for the replacement in advance to avoid future complaints.

9 hours ago, cheeryble said:

got the prices on a bill? :)

Better to contact the manufacturer (ARC) directly for a written quotation. Originally, I asked for ordinary glass but I found the double glazing did not cut down the transmitted heat by much so I asked them to change the glass to Low-E Insulated Glass which did reduce the heat transfer. An expensive mistake but I wanted a permanent solution. I used double-glazing with an air gap, not gas filled, which would have been even better.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Everyone getting different windows really makes a condo block look cheap and nasty

It does indeed. Though most condo buildings have rules about what sort of products and colours can be used in areas that are visible from outside your unit (balconies, window frames and glass, front doors). Being Thailand the rules are not always applied fully, but they are in most buildings I know of.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Indeed. On the cost front ARC were way out in front of all the companies I spoke to. Nice product, silly prices.

How about an idea of prices......just to see if it seems viable......youu know what it's like calling Thai companies

4 hours ago, taiping said:

Better to contact the manufacturer (ARC) directly for a written quotation. Originally, I asked for ordinary glass but I found the double glazing did not cut down the transmitted heat by much so I asked them to change the glass to Low-E Insulated Glass which did reduce the heat transfer. An expensive mistake but I wanted a permanent solution. I used double-glazing with an air gap, not gas filled, which would have been even better.

Did it feel like errr.....double normal?.....triple normal? roughly would be fine :)

Edited by cheeryble

55 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

How about an idea of prices......just to see if it seems viable......youu know what it's like calling Thai companies

In their favour they are in fact very easy to communicate with. Some German guy seems to be there a lot, and the Thai staff seem to know what they are talking about.

Calling probably wont be much use though: I would go there with a rough sketch and measurements of what you want. Or maybe an email with a sketch and measurements would do it.

My prices wont help you very much as your doors will surely be a different size and shape. What you want in the way of extras (double-glazing, glass thickness, laminated, tinted etc.) all seems to affect the price also as one would expect. But they did come in at more than double the cost of the cheapest place, always comparing similar styles and quality.

2 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Did it feel like errr.....double normal?.....triple normal? roughly would be fine :)

ARC will come to your room to look at the job and take measurements and then provide a professional quotation. The double Low-E Glass cost (very) roughly twice that for double standard glass, not including the addional labour costs to change the glass. The glass comes in ready made PVC panels which fit into the new PVC window frames.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:39 AM, trogers said:

Not excessive noise can be easily reduced by changing the 6mm glass to 10mm. Glare and heat can be handled by using films.

No need for double glazed.

You obviously don't understand the heat/cold/noise insulation of the air-space between double-pane doors/windows

27 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

You obviously don't understand the heat/cold/noise insulation of the air-space between double-pane doors/windows

I understand. Just that, what is considered excessive noise and heat to justify the use of double glazing could have been avoided when we first choose the property to buy.

The same choice a potential renter would make.

26 minutes ago, trogers said:

I understand. Just that, what is considered excessive noise and heat to justify the use of double glazing could have been avoided when we first choose the property to buy.

Still waiting for you to explain in which part of Pattaya (or anywhere else under 1000m elevation here) you dont get hot air everywhere outside. Also how you can foresee that no new noise source could ever possibly start up in or near your condo after you have bought it.

But I doubt that you will.

Not everyone is concerned about "excessive" anything. They may just want to fit the best quality replacement windows they can because as well as being stronger and smoother and nicer they will also reduce all incoming heat or noise nuisances, even the very minor ones.

Just now, KittenKong said:

Still waiting for you to explain in which part of Pattaya (or anywhere else under 1000m elevation here) you dont get hot air everywhere outside. Also how you can foresee that no new noise source could ever possibly start up in or near your condo after you have bought it.

But I doubt that you will.

Not everyone is concerned about "excessive" anything. They may just want to fit the best quality replacement windows they can because as well as being stronger and smoother and nicer they will also reduce all incoming heat or noise nuisances, even the very minor ones.

Yes, they would want to fit the best, like spending a million on the best audio system in a car that suffers internal sound pollution...

It's always an image thing.

So, what temperature difference between internal and external do your condo experience in Pattaya?

Like it's snowing outside while you are heating your home to 22C?

Ive got my own ideas but I'll keep quiet as I'm not 100% sure.

But I bet someone good at googling could find the noise and heat attenuation for various combinations of glass/gap/gas etc.

Then we'll actually gain some knowledge.

I'd do it myself but it's near midnight and I haven;t had din :passifier:

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Yes, they would want to fit the best, like spending a million on the best audio system in a car that suffers internal sound pollution...

It's always an image thing.

So, what temperature difference between internal and external do your condo experience in Pattaya?

Like it's snowing outside while you are heating your home to 22C?

Never i have  seen it snowing in Pattaya.

its outside often hot in Thailand and the idea of dubble glass is that u have to use the aircon less cause the outside heat has less of a impact at same time it would reduce any outside noise and it looks better then those cheap thin glass pieces in crappy frames.

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Never i have  seen it snowing in Pattaya.

its outside often hot in Thailand and the idea of dubble glass is that u have to use the aircon less cause the outside heat has less of a impact at same time it would reduce any outside noise and it looks better then those cheap thin glass pieces in crappy frames.

Temperature difference is not extreme, only 10-12C. Background noise too is not extreme, 40 decibels on the inside and 70-80 on the outside.

You don't see them use double glazing in 5-6 star hotels here, only thicker glass panes. Concern and extra expenditure are placed in sound insulation between room units.

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

more effective (not on noise reduction) i tinted glass with a mirror like reflective coating. Trogers is right by pointing to the relative low delta temp!

door1.JPG

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Where to buy that mirror reflecting window foil? as i have not often see it like that in Thailand.

You Could ask a Shop that does Car Windows tinting as I have seen it on a lot of Cars and Trucks.

Edit: 1 Thing do, if you live in a Condo you should talk to the Condo Manager if you want to install this as maybe contravenes with the policy of changing the outside of the Condo !

Edited by MJCM

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You Could ask a Shop that does Car Windows tinting as I have seen it on a lot of Cars and Trucks.

Edit: 1 Thing do, if you live in a Condo you should talk to the Condo Manager if you want to install this as maybe contravenes with the policy of changing the outside of the Condo !

I have a condo unit that faces west with sunlight shining in between 12.30pm to 3pm.

Tinting or reflective films are not allowed. I fixed a reflective layer of blackout to the outer side of the drapes.

No complaints from my tenant of 4 years. She is from Sweden.

Screenshot_2017-11-20-12-04-17-465_com.android.chrome.png

Edited by trogers

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Where to buy that mirror reflecting window foil? as i have not often see it like that in Thailand.

it's NOT foil, the glass is coated. price difference to other tinted 8mm glass surprisingly low (25%).

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I like it..

Does this glass has a specific name?

or just mirror coated glass 8mm?

what shops are selling it?

it doesn't have a specific name. contractors who make windows and glass doors buy it from the manufacturer. when i told my builder he knew immediately what i wanted. you can see a lot of office buildings and hotels in BKK where this glass is installed.