Double glass in Condo anyone?

9 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That's because you apparently either dont have, or dont care about, a view. That's probably also why you and your tenants dont mind closing your curtains during the day: nothing to see with them open.

I note that you dont address any of the other points.

Well, that's because I do have my own opinions and requirements. Whose would you prefer me to have?

I can offer you a cheaper solution to double glazing to maintain that all important view. Learn how windows are installed in control towers of airports.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, trogers said:

I can offer you a cheaper solution to double glazing to maintain that all important view. Learn how windows are installed in control towers of airports.

that was one of my ideas which my wife vetoed.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hi just get the double glass windows and framing and let us know how much of an improvement this has been.

I confident there is an company most likely in Bangkok who can do this and for an readonable price.

I admire your confidence. I have approached many such suppliers. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they either cant supply a proper complete quote, cant do the job at all, cant do the entire job, dont reply, or they want prices that I consider to be plain silly. And the double-glazing aspect wasnt even the stumbling block or the reason for the high prices: similar requests for single laminated glass were equally problematical. Many local suppliers could do local frames with single panes of thick/laminated glass, but the quality of the frames/seals was too low and barely better than my existing ones. Their prices were low though.

2 hours ago, trogers said:

I can offer you a cheaper solution to double glazing to maintain that all important view.

I've been into all this with suppliers. Single panes of laminated glass are not significantly cheaper, and the main problem is finding anyone who can actually do the job properly at all, regardless of what type of glass is used. More than one company that wanted to charge hundreds of thousands of Baht intended using silicone mastic on the exposed joint between the floor tiles and the new doors. Give me a break.

30 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I admire your confidence. I have approached many such suppliers. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they either cant supply a proper complete quote, cant do the job at all, cant do the entire job, dont reply, or they want prices that I consider to be plain silly. And the double-glazing aspect wasnt even the stumbling block or the reason for the high prices: similar requests for single laminated glass were equally problematical. Many local suppliers could do local frames with single panes of thick/laminated glass, but the quality of the frames/seals was too low and barely better than my existing ones. Their prices were low though.

U tried with some big Bangkok glass shops? They might consider to take jobs for Pattaya. Yes seems laminated glass best option as it blocks most uv and has strong sound reduction.

Edited by Destiny1990

13 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

.... laminated glass best option as it blocks most uv and has strong sound reduction.

Isn't the infra red the hotter end of the spectrum?

(sorry poorly defined......my prof would say <deleted>'s "hotter"? 

In any case toasters and electric bar fires use IR not UV and microwaves are even lower frequency than IR.

Also, doesn't ordinary glass largely stop UV? Never learned that at university but reckon I heard it somewhere about 50+ years ago.

Edited by cheeryble

8 hours ago, cheeryble said:

In any case toasters and electric bar fires use IR not UV and microwaves are even lower frequency than IR.

Also, doesn't ordinary glass largely stop UV? Never learned that at university but reckon I heard it somewhere about 50+ years ago.

I never heard of infrared glass.. I just said laminated glass bit be ok to replace ur current glass with for noise and some heat reduction and its thicket then ordinary glass. Now only need find someone who can install it.

8 hours ago, cheeryble said:

UV gets through ordinary glass. IR gets reflected. That's how greenhouses work.

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I never heard of infrared glass.. I just said laminated glass bit be ok to replace ur current glass with for noise and some heat reduction and its thicket then ordinary glass. Now only need find someone who can install it.

Cheeryble is right. UV<>heat, IR=heat. blocking UV does not reduce any heat load.

there is of course no "infrared" glass but glass that partially reflects IR rays (like the gold coated glass i mentioned).

Edited by Naam

34 minutes ago, Naam said:

Cheeryble is right. UV<>heat, IR=heat. blocking UV does not reduce any heat load.

there is of course no "infrared" glass but glass that partially reflects IR rays (like the gold coated glass i mentioned).

Yes and no. Sunlight, with a strong portion of UV, heats up surfaces which in turn radiate IR.

That's how you get hot sand or footpath on a sunny day.

A darkly tinted glass don't allow much light to pass through, but would itself be heated up and emit IR and is hot to touch.

Best would be white or reflective surfaces that do not absorb sunlight and thus not get hot.

Edited by trogers

18 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

So whats the conclusion and best options to select from for windows and sliding doors in Thailand?

First, determine the restrictions set by the Juristic office if it's a condo.

Next, identify what you are trying to achieve and your budget.

Then choose from there, bearing in mind maintenance issues for imported systems.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

Not true. Any dark material thick enough not to be porous to radiation would absorb it and turn it to heat.

Only certain chemical compounds convert it to blue light.

you are referring to molecular motion caused by UV radiation. but the UV share of sun radiation causing heat in a medium is only a tiny and hardly measurable fraction of the actual heat generation by IR. that's why your reference "sand gets hot by UV" is not applicable.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

you are referring to molecular motion caused by UV radiation. but the UV share of sun radiation causing heat in a medium is only a tiny and hardly measurable fraction of the actual heat generation by IR. that's why your reference "sand gets hot by UV" is not applicable.

Both the UV and IR components in direct sunlight are small compared to the full spectrum of visible light.

The heated sand absorbs the light and becomes hot and emits its own IR.

Our skin and eyes are sensitive to damage by the UV component and thus glass treatment is employed to reduce this component, eg. films in car windows.

Reducing the amount of direct sunlight transmitting through the glass also reduces the heat generated by objects that receive this light. And this can be done by tinting the glass, or by making the glass reflective, eg by introducing a gold or silver element in the glass.

The latter is better as the glass itself remains cool. But then, the reflected light will fall onto some place else...