Double glass in Condo anyone?

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Where to buy that mirror reflecting window foil? as i have not often see it like that in Thailand.

Almost any car windscreen tinting company has it, most of the shops do homes as well as cars. We paid 1k per metre to have the same thing installed at home, it works very well plus it offers privacy.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Almost any car windscreen tinting company has it, most of the shops do homes as well as cars. We paid 1k per metre to have the same thing installed at home, it works very well plus it offers privacy.

what part of my posting

it's NOT foil, the glass is coated. price difference to other tinted 8mm glass surprisingly low (25%).

do i have to explain?

35 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its clear now for all that mirrow reflecting glass is not a film its a coated glass that's probably why i like it.?

Those who wants to retain the original glass may use films.

The alternative is to change the glass. But either way, approval from the Juristic of the condo needs to be obtained before proceeding.

13 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If that's your response, you've been laying with dogs too long!

long yes but not too long. i love my dogs dearly. but instead of making arrogant and irrelevant remarks i apologise when i'm wrong, respectively writing rubbish because i might have been too lazy to read the relevant postings. it happens.

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

condo = :sick:

Those old condos, usually built in the 80s, do permit owners to change doors and windows, and even move them to get a smaller balcony and larger interior.

I did so in two of my units, with 6-panel sliding doors at the living area and casement windows in the bedrooms.

Naam:

In post 54, Destiny asked:

8 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Where to buy that mirror reflecting window foil? as i have not often see it like that in Thailand.

I replied:

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You subsequently became obnoxious:

3 hours ago, Naam said:

what part of my posting

do i have to explain?

To which I replied:

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Poor manners naam, poor manners!

Yet you STILL continue !

The poster asked about foil and nobody gives a toss about your expensive windows, man up and apologise.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Naam:

In post 54, Destiny asked:

I replied:

You subsequently became obnoxious:

To which I replied:

Yet you STILL continue !

The poster asked about foil and nobody gives a toss about your expensive windows, man up and apologise.

Hey hey i mistakenly thought it was a foil gosh my goodness then Naam explained it wasnt it was coated mirror glass 8 mm that i do prefer over any foil at anytime over the day.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hey hey i mistakenly thought it was a foil gosh my goodness then Naam explained it wasnt it was coated mirror glass 8 mm that i do prefer over any foil at anytime over the day.

one should let little frustrated men who are sore losers rant Destiny :smile:

16 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

This glass will be see trough once its dark outside and lights are on in the room is it? Looking from the outside to the room correct? Its fine for me just curious.

yes, you are right. but no such thing during daytime.

18 minutes ago, trogers said:

Those old condos, usually built in the 80s, do permit owners to change doors and windows, and even move them to get a smaller balcony and larger interior.

I did so in two of my units, with 6-panel sliding doors at the living area and casement windows in the bedrooms.

Yes this unit is not that old but some others residents also have modified their balconies and sliding doors.

On 19/11/2017 at 8:54 PM, trogers said:

Yes, they would want to fit the best, like spending a million on the best audio system in a car that suffers internal sound pollution...

It's always an image thing.

So, what temperature difference between internal and external do your condo experience in Pattaya?

Like it's snowing outside while you are heating your home to 22C?

The temperature difference here is quite similar to the temperature difference I had in summer back in Europe. Double-glazing was effective there also, though of course it was of more use in the winter. All I need to know is that if I stand in front of my (shaded) single-glazed windows here I can feel the heat radiating from the glass. With double-glazing (and perhaps E-glass) this would be greatly reduced.

Image has nothing to do with it as the only person who will ever see my windows will be me. And I am the very last person on earth who would have any concern for image anyway.

Still waiting for you to tell me which part of Pattaya does not have hot outside air, and how you can be so sure to avoid all future noise issues when buying a condo. I think it would be nice to reduce that possibility and double-glazing is the solution as far as I can see.

23 hours ago, Naam said:

more effective (not on noise reduction) i tinted glass with a mirror like reflective coating. Trogers is right by pointing to the relative low delta temp!

door1.JPG

This would not be permitted in my building. I also happen to think that it is hideous, though of course individual tastes may vary.

21 hours ago, trogers said:

I have a condo unit that faces west with sunlight shining in between 12.30pm to 3pm.

Tinting or reflective films are not allowed. I fixed a reflective layer of blackout to the outer side of the drapes.

No complaints from my tenant of 4 years. She is from Sweden.

So your tenant sits in the dark half the day? I prefer to enjoy my view.

When I selected my condo I deliberately chose one that did not get direct sunlight on a regular basis, and which is not overlooked, so not only am I not bothered by sunlight streaming in but I dont need curtains at all even at night. Even so I would still like to minimise ambient heat transfer and so fitting good quality double-glazed doors is desirable.

I find it odd that on one hand you are congratulating yourself for your mystical ability to select condos that dont get hot, even in the tropics, yet on the other hand you need to fit blackout curtains for daytime use in them. Apparently something does not add up.

48 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

This would not be permitted in my building. I also happen to think that it is hideous, though of course individual tastes may vary.

i consider it hideous² living in a condo where they tell you what is permitted and what is not, though of course individual tastes may vary.

p.s. i even consider it hideous living in a condo where anything is permitted. :smile:

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

i consider it hideous² living in a condo where they tell you what is permitted and what is not, though of course individual tastes may vary.

p.s. i even consider it hideous living in a condo where anything is permitted.

I think we all know that. Personally I like the idea of sensible rules and regulations. And I particularly would not want the endless hassle and pointless expense of "owning" a house in Thailand that will never belong to me. Nor would I be prepared to give up my high-rise view, unless I was moving to a mountainside with some similarly good view (not common around Pattaya).

None of which makes any difference to this topic though, which is "double glass in condo".

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

p.s. i even consider it hideous living in a condo where anything is permitted. :smile:

I think there are lots of great houses and great condos to live its just a matter of preferences. For a condo its better Security and views and lower maintenance then for a house It has better privacy more space and gardens.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

The temperature difference here is quite similar to the temperature difference I had in summer back in Europe. Double-glazing was effective there also, though of course it was of more use in the winter. All I need to know is that if I stand in front of my (shaded) single-glazed windows here I can feel the heat radiating from the glass. With double-glazing (and perhaps E-glass) this would be greatly reduced.

Image has nothing to do with it as the only person who will ever see my windows will be me. And I am the very last person on earth who would have any concern for image anyway.

Still waiting for you to tell me which part of Pattaya does not have hot outside air, and how you can be so sure to avoid all future noise issues when buying a condo. I think it would be nice to reduce that possibility and double-glazing is the solution as far as I can see.

It's hot everywhere in Thailand, not just Pattaya. But you don't need to use a window system of the EU to improve on heat insulation here as there are cheaper and easier solutions.

Double and triple glazing are invented not just for thermal and sound, but also to arrest the condensation problems faced during winter.

My tenant need not live in darkness with the drapes opened a couple of feet wide out of a length of 3 metres, both in the bedroom and living room.

I lived in that unit for a year before letting it out. My policy, to iron out potential problems before letting my properties out.

The unit facing west was offered at a price that was too hard to refused, and it has been giving me over 10% rental yield for the past 8 years.

Edited by trogers

24 minutes ago, trogers said:

It's hot everywhere in Thailand, not just Pattaya. But you don't need to use a window system of the EU to improve on heat insulation here as there are cheaper and easier solutions.

Double and triple glazing are invented not just for thermal and sound, but also to arrest the condensation problems faced during winter.

My tenant need not live in darkness with the drapes opened a couple of feet wide out of a length of 3 metres, both in the bedroom and living room.

I lived in that unit for a year before letting it out. My policy, to iron out potential problems before letting my properties out.

The unit facing west was offered at a price that was too hard to refused, and it has been giving me over 10% rental yield for the past 8 years.

Slightly off topic But maybe u can invite Kittenkong for a nice meal probably  u both do not so much differ opinions in the end.?

12 hours ago, trogers said:

Look at any 7/11 (or even my car windows) and on a rainy day you will probably see condensation. In fact you may see it at times on any day. As you mention, double-glazing avoids that. It also reduces the large amount of radiant heat transmitted through single panes of glass. It is a good, practical and aesthetically pleasing solution to several different problems. Hence my interest in it.

Indeed. So not quite darkness, just Stygian gloom. I prefer to have the full expanse of my view all the time, thanks, the view being the main attraction of my condo. So the idea of fitting thick curtains and opening and closing them all the time does not interest me.

My policy, to iron out potential problems before letting my properties out.

Your goalposts are moving again. Previously your policy was to not buy anywhere that was hot (good luck finding that in Thailand, as I mentioned). Now your policy is to "iron out" the problem by fitting thick curtains. What will your policy be tomorrow?

Great. I dont need rental income at all, though I dont see what relevance it has to this thread.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Look at any 7/11 (or even my car windows) and on a rainy day you will probably see condensation. In fact you may see it at times on any day. As you mention, double-glazing avoids that. It also reduces the large amount of radiant heat transmitted through single panes of glass. It is a good, practical and aesthetically pleasing solution to several different problems. Hence my interest in it.

Indeed. So not quite darkness, just Stygian gloom. I prefer to have the full expanse of my view all the time, thanks, the view being the main attraction of my condo. So the idea of fitting thick curtains and opening and closing them all the time does not interest me.

Your goalposts are moving again. Previously your policy was to not buy anywhere that was hot (good luck finding that in Thailand, as I mentioned). Now your policy is to "iron out" the problem by fitting thick curtains. What will your policy be tomorrow?

Great. I dont need rental income at all, though I dont see what relevance it has to this thread.

There is only one outstanding word in things you post 'I'.

I don't think condensation is a problem in Thailand when it happens on the outside of glass panes. The same panes get wet on the outside when it rains...

2 hours ago, trogers said:

I don't think condensation is a problem in Thailand when it happens on the outside of glass panes.

That's because you apparently either dont have, or dont care about, a view. That's probably also why you and your tenants dont mind closing your curtains during the day: nothing to see with them open.

I note that you dont address any of the other points.

2 hours ago, trogers said:

There is only one outstanding word in things you post 'I'.

Well, that's because I do have my own opinions and requirements. Whose would you prefer me to have?

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That's because you apparently either dont have, or dont care about, a view. That's probably also why you and your tenants dont mind closing your curtains during the day: nothing to see with them open.

I note that you dont address any of the other points.

Well, that's because I do have my own opinions and requirements. Whose would you prefer me to have?

Hi just get the double glass windows and framing and let us know how much of an improvement this has been.

I confident there is an company most likely in Bangkok who can do this and for an readonable price.