Moving to Bangkok

Manon Fe

Hello, 

I am moving to bangkok in February and I am looking for a good moving services.

If anyone has some experience, I will appreciate some advices and feedbacks, it is hard to find good information on google. I don't want to have bad surprises on the moving day, 

Thank you in advance!

Moving from inside Thailand or outside?  For domestic moves most people contract local truck who hire workers.

If from outside Thailand will you have duty free import?  That is a bad surprise for some.

Edited by lopburi3

44 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Moving to Bangkok!  Don't!

Moving to Bangkok!   Do!  

Big cities aren't for everyone, but if that's where you are headed, then I hope it works out.  

For our members, please keep posts civil and on topic.  

You'll have enough bad surprises on day 1 and after a week or two when you realize that Bangkok is one of the biggest, dirtiest, least-planned HELLHOLES on the planet... My advice is reconsider your move and give this cultureless, featureless, flat, boiling hot, stinking, filthy concrete wasteland filled with vapid morons and shopping malls a wide berth. Almost any other place in Thailand, except Pattaya of course, would be a better choice. Bangkok is a monstrosity of an urban sprawl that would be best razed to the ground and turned into a big park. Besides, most of it will be underwater within 20 years. 

19 minutes ago, Thainess said:

You'll have enough bad surprises on day 1 and after a week or two when you realize that Bangkok is one of the biggest, dirtiest, least-planned HELLHOLES on the planet... My advice is reconsider your move and give this cultureless, featureless, flat, boiling hot, stinking, filthy concrete wasteland filled with vapid morons and shopping malls a wide berth. Almost any other place in Thailand, except Pattaya of course, would be a better choice. Bangkok is a monstrosity of an urban sprawl that would be best razed to the ground and turned into a big park. Besides, most of it will be underwater within 20 years. 

Why are everyone of your posts so negative about everything? You might not like BKK, but many people do, as this person arriving here might do.

I have lived in BKK for 10 years and love it, as do many of my friends. Not everyone thinks the same.

Your post adds absolutely nothing to the topic. I remember previously you writing nonsense about the bts, you were called out by numerous posters on your nonsense, and unsurprising you never returned to the thread. For someone who obviously has very little knowledge of BKK or living in BKK, i am unsure why you spend so much time commenting on it.

1 hour ago, Thainess said:

Oh, grumpy old Man at its best. I love Bangkok. 

Hello !

Yes Bangkok is huge and overpopulated but some people love this place. It's true if it's not for working maybe you sould reconsider where you would like to move. I love Chiang Mai for example !! 

If you want information maybe you can be more precise about your move !

10 hours ago, Thainess said:

My advice....ignore every word of this post written by someone who clearly has nothing  of value to say about a city he clearly knows nothing about. Some people must be very very bored

I lived there for a year.
I enjoyed many of the available facilities... BTS within walking distance, good food available conveniently, many great aspects.
Why did I leave? Mostly because I am officially disabled. Crappy pavements, not the best air quality, my rented condo was... mmm, not"nice"per my GF.
YMMV. Ask ten people,liable to get ten different answers in aggregate, though plenty of agreement on some points.
When moving down here to Sattahip area I had a guy with a van who helped. I mean really helped! Did most of the carrying out of one and into the next.
This is where it would help if you could describe how much stuff, how far, etc.
A friend arranged his services including the van for the day for Bt 1,000, plus fill up with fuel and lunch. He got a 50% tip.
Good luck!

What a heap of garbage most of you offer up about how bad BKK is. No help whatsoever about finding a furniture removalist. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The man asked for help about a removalist. And you turkeys go on about how BKK is the shit heap that it is. Everybody knows what BKK is. 

Manon Fe simply needed help with removalists and you lot offered nothing except know-all stupid crap.

A humble contribution,  when moving - while the boys are unloading your stuff and taking the boxes up, (assuming it's a condo), have somebody to watch over your belongings in the truck, if not within immediate eyesight.

Same for the appartment, have the Missus to keep an eye when the chaps are delivering the cartons inside the lodging.

Elementary, but sometimes one can forget. Wish you a smooth shifting.

Edited by observer90210

Hi MF,

If from overseas, we had very good and professional service from UK with 'SEVEN SEAS WORLDWIDE', they even have a 'box' service for smaller consignments. We then used a Bangkok transport company, sorry can't remember the contact details, who moved our box to Koh Lanta Yai, Krabi, again without drama.

Our box was never opened from UK door to KLY door. Nothing damaged and nothing missing.

Good luck and try not to stress too much!

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, Thainess said:

So you know nothing about Bangkok then.

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So you know nothing about Bangkok then.

I know EVERYTHING about it. Lived there for many years - but only because I had a very high salary. Otherwise, wouldn't have bothered. Even the luxury 180,000 baht a month apartment with its own private pool didn't help. What a godforsaken hole... So glad to get out to a real city, Hong Kong.

3 hours ago, Thainess said:

I know EVERYTHING about it. Lived there for many years - but only because I had a very high salary. Otherwise, wouldn't have bothered. Even the luxury 180,000 baht a month apartment with its own private pool didn't help. What a godforsaken hole... So glad to get out to a real city, Hong Kong.

Bye bye, better join a Hong Kong forum then.

The old, great places on Sukhumvit have been ruined, but there are hundreds of nice neighborhoods that really grow on you, and have a much smaller feel.  You will quickly get to know people on your everyday routines, and they will know you, and could very easily help you find a playmate  or three.  I live in CM, not perfect, not bad...I usually look forward to visiting BKK.

Edited by BuddyDean

On 17 novembre 2017 at 11:04 AM, Tarkhubal said:

Hello !

Yes Bangkok is huge and overpopulated but some people love this place. It's true if it's not for working maybe you sould reconsider where you would like to move. I love Chiang Mai for example !! 

If you want information maybe you can be more precise about your move !

Hi! 

Thank you for your kind answer. I am sure about moving to Bangkok, I know the city and appreciate it. What I need are information about moving services. I have many personal effects I would like to bring with me, do you know any company that could help me ? 

Have a nice day!

I've used Pickfords, and they were good.  Careful packing in UK, delivered to condo in Bangkok on time, efficient unpacking and placed tgings in the correct rooms, which saves a lot of time.   

Also used Crown, and they had problems.   Late pick up, serious mildew issues, haphazard unpacking,  some damage.  

Heard good reports of Asian Tigers, and they sponsored some ex-pat events,  but no direct experience. 

There are some items that may cause import duty issues, so often simpler to buy things like electronics locally.  Wine will also cost to import.