Thai media says three levels of authority will be able to fine smokers on Thai beaches

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, garbolino said:

i hope tourists stop coming here....all this is pathetic.....I wonder what they are doing on the beaches in Vietnam and Cambodia and seychelles and Mauritius and BLACKPOOL BEACH !!

Last time I was there

( Blackpool ) it ( the beach ) was covered in Donkey sh-t and the rain was diluting elephant sh-t on  the pavement making it like a skating rink you really didn't want to fall down on.

I was enchanted, not.

While I understand the need to keep the sand and air at beaches clean by banning smoking, I think there is too much emphasis on this problem while unsafe driving everywhere in the country runs rampant without much care by the authorities.  I think someone's priorities are backward.

16 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

As my old english teacher used to say, don't believe everything you read on TV son, most of it is just baseless rumour mongering.

Calling me son, you must be in your 90's. 

Adding the ?? so this time you will realise what my post meant.

Edited by overherebc
Adding.

13 hours ago, MorristheRunt said:

I am sick of  7-11 plastic carrier bags and straws, maybe they should ban 7-11, help with the obesity problem too.

Slap a ฿ 10, ฿ 15 or even a ฿20 charge on each plastic bag a customer wants and the bag problem would be solved. 

16 hours ago, Barbarossa0309 said:

First level should be to inform all tourist companies in the world, so that they can include it in their brochures and catalogues, which beaches are smoke and booze free. This helps the people to choose their holiday destination before they board an airplane.

From Feb 1st it's ALL beaches!

6 hours ago, garbolino said:

why are there NO SEATS IN THE SMOKING TENTS ?????????????

There are!

Wait for the small bar and BBQ food to complete the area.

I live in Hua Hin who have already announced that the fine will be 2,000 baht, the same as littering in BKK.

The authorities here had to make 'smoking areas' whether they agreed with the ban or not.  But compare the smoking areas in Hua Hin with the ridiculous plastic box which the initiating minister designed!!

Government everywhere in the world just don't like to be told what to do. They can do no wrong.

For any demonstration they have water canons. They talk with water canons. If things get worse they have rubber bullets.

That's why years back the USA "Una Bomber" bombed government offices, he was professor of matematics in one of the university until he got disillusioned by the state.

1 hour ago, madusa said:

Government everywhere in the world just don't like to be told what to do. They can do no wrong.

For any demonstration they have water canons. They talk with water canons. If things get worse they have rubber bullets.

That's why years back the USA "Una Bomber" bombed government offices, he was professor of matematics in one of the university until he got disillusioned by the state.

So are you suggesting water cannons and rubber bullets for smokers ignoring the ban!?

41 minutes ago, HHTel said:

So are you suggesting water cannons and rubber bullets for smokers ignoring the ban!?

Good idea. If they employed people armed with water guns to squirt people smoking it would work and avoid the chaos that trying to jail people for smoking would cause.

Of course, having seized on the idea of jailing and fining huge amounts, to back down now would involve a HUGE loss of face, so don't expect sanity to prevail any time soon. 

BTW, I don't expect anyone to actually pay 100,000 or go to jail. A simple 10,000 baht contribution to a local "charity" will take care of the problem.

I'll be heading to Pattaya in early February, so I'll be hanging out on the walkway to see what, if anything actually happens, especially with all the Chinese puffing away.

46 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

106 tomorrow, however I think if you reread my post you will see that it infers that my old english teacher is calling me "son", not me calling you "son"

So you're 106 and your old english teacher told you not to believe what you read on TV?

This gets complicated.

PS

E cigs, parts and refills selling or using totally illegal in Thailand.

Some still use them, but, piss-off the wrong official one day and .....................

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So you're 106 and your old english teacher told you not to believe what you read on TV?

This gets complicated.

PS

E cigs, parts and refills selling or using totally illegal in Thailand.

Some still use them, but, piss-off the wrong official one day and .....................

Show me the proof to your assertion that the use of E cigs is illegal in Thailand. 

6 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Show me the proof to your assertion that the use of E cigs is illegal in Thailand. 

if E cigs are illegal then surely it doesnt matter if you are using one or carrying it in your pocket either way you're  breaking the law by having an illegal item in your possession? like carrying a knife in the uk, you dont have to be stabbing someone for it to be illegal.

21 minutes ago, samsensam said:

if E cigs are illegal then surely it doesnt matter if you are using one or carrying it in your pocket either way you're  breaking the law by having an illegal item in your possession? like carrying a knife in the uk, you dont have to be stabbing someone for it to be illegal.

that's the point...........where as the notion come from that the use of E cigs is illegal? All the info I can find infers that the sale of E cig paraphernalia is illegal in Thailand. There are probably in the 10's of 1000's of users of E cigs in Thailand (many of them tourists) if it were actually illegal to use them then we would be hearing stories on a daily basis of people being apprehended by the police. The fact is that we have never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for using an E cig.

4 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

that's the point...........where as the notion come from that the use of E cigs is illegal? All the info I can find infers that the sale of E cig paraphernalia is illegal in Thailand. There are probably in the 10's of 1000's of users of E cigs in Thailand (many of them tourists) if it were actually illegal to use them then we would be hearing stories on a daily basis of people being apprehended by the police. The fact is that we have never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for using an E cig.

Not yet, wait til someone gets one going on the beach and claims he isn't smoking or going to drop it in the sand when he's finished.

A couple of sellers have been busted to my knowledge and lost the stock etc.

An expat on the beach would be an easy target for 2000 baht though.

8 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

done that and absolutely nothing official can be found.

Nothing has to be official to be actually illegal in LOS. If they say it's illegal it is.

That's why every immigration office in Thailand is able to invent different requirements to every other immigration office.

37 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

done that and absolutely nothing official can be found.

Owning an E cig is illegal because they officially cannot be imported. An E cig where it exist in Thailand will not have had tax levied on it so it is in fact an illegal item.

Doesn't matter if you have an official receipt from your own country showing it was tax paid there. 

The reasons for banning import have done to death on TV etc etc.

If you feel it's ok for you to sit on a no-smoking beach and vape then go ahead, no-one on here is saying it's not up to you.

Just don't think that any of your arguements, ie, show me the law, will stand up against the non smokers around you or the Thai official who decides to slap a 2000 baht or worse fine on you.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Owning an E cig is illegal because they officially cannot be imported. An E cig where it exist in Thailand will not have had tax levied on it so it is in fact an illegal item.

Doesn't matter if you have an official receipt from your own country showing it was tax paid there. 

The reasons for banning import have done to death on TV etc etc.

If you feel it's ok for you to sit on a no-smoking beach and vape then go ahead, no-one on here is saying it's not up to you.

Just don't think that any of your arguements, ie, show me the law, will stand up against the non smokers around you or the Thai official who decides to slap a 2000 baht or worse fine on you.

now your just waffling..........we're not talking about importing or selling, we're talking about personal use. Show me one instance where someone has been fined for using an Ecig.

11 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

now your just waffling..........we're not talking about importing or selling, we're talking about personal use. Show me one instance where someone has been fined for using an Ecig.

See one of my previous posts where I stated ' not yet'.

I could expand your reasoning to cover a multitude of illegal items.

Driving a top end car that has been illegaly imported and no tax paid is one. No law states I can't drive it but the law says it's illegal for me to have it.

PS.

Anyone want to buy a vintage bike.?

Edited by overherebc