Schoolies safety warning from Aussie woman whose sister died in Thailand in motorcycle accident

webfact

Schoolies safety warning from woman whose sister died in Thailand in motorcycle accident

SALLY RAWSTHORNE, The Daily Telegraph

aa.jpg
Nicole Fitzsimons died in Thailand aged just 24. //Daily Telegraph

KATE Fitzsimons has a sobering message for happy high-school students heading to schoolies party zones this year — the worst can happen.

In 2012, Ms Fitzsimons’ sister was killed in a motorbike accident in Thailand, aged just 24. So Ms Fitzsimons founded the Nicole Fitz­simons Foundation and has made it her life’s work to educate young Australians about the dangers that can come with travelling overseas.

“Every two days, an Australian dies in Thailand,” she said. “The roads there are the second-deadliest in the world, yet tourists get on a motorbike with no experience and ride along without a helmet or even shoes.”

Full story: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/schoolies-safety-warning-from-woman-whose-sister-died-in-thailand-in-motorcycle-accident/news-story/91b7106e84b58ead1c52e35287105324

-- The Daily Telegraph 2017-11-17

51 minutes ago, trogers said:

I would have thought a developed country would have been teaching road and traffic safety to K-grade kids...

Teenagers think they are invincible. I know I sure did some dangerous stuff.

Unfortunely when you are around twenty and on holiday everything is fun. Nothing bad can happen to you because like I said 'it's all just fun'

Renting a little scooter can't be dangerous because 'it's not a serious motorbike' it's just a push-bike with an engine.

Almost no-one would consider renting a 650 to 1000cc machine because 'they' are dangerous, in my experience they are safer.

I've been on bikes since I was 16, and those new style scooters are the most unstable things I've ever tried.

I don't know if restricting them to 30 kph ( mechanically ) would make any difference, probably make them more dangerous.

Making people more aware of what can happen when they rent these things on holiday by letting them see graphic details of injuries and a table of related costs might change the minds of a few, and that's good, obviously. The vast majority sadly will just ignore it ( the advice ) because they know 'it won't happen to them'  !!!!!!

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

Edited by overherebc
Adding photo.

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

1 hour ago, trogers said:

I would have thought a developed country would have been teaching road and traffic safety to K-grade kids...

"Teenagers think they are invincible. I know I sure did some dangerous stuff."

True on both counts, but it is not only teenagers who seem to leave normal safety practices back at home. I have been riding for 35 years and wear a helmet here, it amazes me the number of people of all ages with close to nil riding experience who take no safety precautions at all, and then find out all too late their insurance doesn't cover them in an accident. 

7 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:
1 hour ago, trogers said:

"Teenagers think they are invincible. I know I sure did some dangerous stuff."

True on both counts, but it is not only teenagers who seem to leave normal safety practices back at home. I have been riding for 35 years and wear a helmet here, it amazes me the number of people of all ages with close to nil riding experience who take no safety precautions at all, and then find out all too late their insurance doesn't cover them in an accident. 

Helmet, full face, and gloves absolute minimum. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“Every two days, an Australian dies in Thailand,” she said. “The roads there are the second-deadliest in the world she said,

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" --

Would you think that an Aussie died on the road every 2 days.....yer they didn't.

But put two "true" statements together like that--and what do you have...I guess some would call it fake news.  Yes an Australian dies here every 2 days---And -yes its (now ) the deadliest roads in the world.

.                                          And yes both figures are unrelated.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade "Latest" report found that 211 Australians died in accidents in the entire world.

Total Australian deaths (for all reasons) in Thailand for that year (2016/2017) are 203. (I have been to the burning of 3 old diggers already this year--no they didn't ride bikes)

No one is saying the roads aren't 5th world here..& there is a lot of madness in the driving. But if you are going to start a foundation (which I suppose takes donations) start with the correct figures... They are bad enough without adding the PR massage.

Source--Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Consular State of Play, 2016-17.

3 hours ago, lockyv7 said:

“Every two days, an Australian dies in Thailand,”

A lot of these deaths would be just old Aussies that time had run out, some of the young things they hook up with can suck the life out of you.  

Up yours also.

3 hours ago, lockyv7 said:

“Every two days, an Australian dies in Thailand,”

A lot of these deaths would be just old Aussies that time had run out, some of the young things they hook up with can suck the life out of you.  

Like a spider and it's mate. There's just a dried up husk left.

Teach the schoolies that they are about to enter a less-than-developed country.

Yes, there are laws about helmets, but the fact that so many Thais don't wear them in the day and almost none at night, doesn't mean they should be copied.

Also, don't assume that anyone will give way to their right, and be ready for the bike/car/truck in front which can pull out in front of you with no signal.

When signalling and turning right, it's not uncommon for vehicles to overtake on your right.

Finally, if you don't hold a motorbike licence in your home country, you are NOT insured in Thailand.

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Teenagers think they are invincible. I know I sure did some dangerous stuff.

I kept up the dangerous stuff till I was 47, that is, I used to get up to 200-220 kmph on my bike two up occasionally when I was doing an outing with other bike riders on a country ride, which was on an open highway, with almost no cars in sight, then I met this pretty little thing who managed to give me a heart attack, so I gave up the bike, sadly and reluctantly, now I find other ways of feeding my Adrenalin, in a more controlled way, giddy up 555

3 hours ago, masuk said:

Teach the schoolies that they are about to enter a less-than-developed country.

Yes, there are laws about helmets, but the fact that so many Thais don't wear them in the day and almost none at night, doesn't mean they should be copied.

Also, don't assume that anyone will give way to their right, and be ready for the bike/car/truck in front which can pull out in front of you with no signal.

When signalling and turning right, it's not uncommon for vehicles to overtake on your right.

Finally, if you don't hold a motorbike licence in your home country, you are NOT insured in Thailand.

Traffic from left has right of way in Thailand, so yes, I hope noone gives way to their right.

And signalling does not give you the right to turn, always make sure noone is overtaking before making the actual turn.

Edited by stevenl