Swede busted for selling chewing tobacco without work permit

Rimmer

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't think it was the online component that got the guy in trouble, though it does apparently violate WP laws.  I suspect the guy would have been fine if he hadn't actually delivered the goodies in Thailand (and in person, to boot). 

I struggle to see where travel blogging, online poker or shipping Thai made EBay goods overseas from Thailand would even ping the radar.  While technically illegal, the odds of getting caught are minuscule, and may be worth the risk for someone who can't afford to stay in Thailand without funding it somehow.  If they have to leave anyway due to no money, there's not much downside to making some YouTube money...

Playing poker online from Thailand would likely be considered an offence since you are gambling online from Thailand and gaming in Thailand is illegal.   If you are exporting physical goods from Thailand you are doing business in Thailand.  If you have a customer who has operations in Thailand you are doing business in Thailand.  If however you are doing online work (blogging, writing, software development) where you do no physical business in Thailand and you are not violating any laws elsewhere in the process (running a pirate site) -- then it is a grey area and you are safe under current enforcement (technically working illegally, but current interpretation is not).  This state of affairs with interpretations could change at any time.  Technically you could be on holiday and answering work emails - you are technically working illegally but the interpretation differs.  

The part that the individual probably ran afoul of was that he was doing physical business in Thailand (export).  He was therefore taking business away (likely at least some) from other operators that are legal businesses in Thailand.  Rule of thumb, don't do anything considered illegal in Thailand; Don't have any physical operations (customer or supplier; or ship from) in Thailand and you likely will never have any problems (interpretations could change at anytime).  

The other thing he ran afoul of is that there are certain products that are controlled and shipping products without the proper export/import licenses in place -- will get you into trouble and could get you deported to face justice in another country (i.e. if a certain product is legal in Thailand but you are shipping that product into a country where the product is controlled or illegal).

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Briggsy said:

Were you then able to give up the chewing tobacco?

I gave up smoking 12 years ago by getting very drunk and smoking over a packet in a night. (not recommended method)

Yes a month later, I was nicotine free.

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Why would any foreigner get involved in an undercover sting operation to set-up a guy over a relatively minor offence? There are reportedly foreigners engaging in boiler room and property fraud in Thailand who are noted "pillars of the community" ... I wonder why they are never targeted?

Farang wannabee cops are snitches for Mibs. This is why they do not deserve respect.

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Were you then able to give up the chewing tobacco?

I gave up smoking 12 years ago by getting very drunk and smoking over a packet in a night. (not recommended method)

That might help me to quit smoking. I was never so close, really hate every cigarette, but can't just stop. 

I know a guy who smokes two packs a night and he doesn't stop. 

2 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

Farang wannabee cops are snitches for Mibs. This is why they do not deserve respect.

They are police volunteers.  With a job to do.  Help enforce the law.  Like everything else, some are good, some not so good.  I know a few who are absolutely outstanding.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

They are police volunteers.  With a job to do.  Help enforce the law.  Like everything else, some are good, some not so good.  I know a few who are absolutely outstanding.

I treat all uniforms the same way, this is all what they deserve. If they had face they would do a respectable job. No pity.

45 minutes ago, impulse said:

I struggle to see where travel blogging, online poker or shipping Thai made EBay goods overseas from Thailand would even ping the radar. 

I recall reading about your question on news story on Thaivisa several years ago.

Thai police would go to internet cafes (remember those?), round up all the foreigners and check what they were doing on the computer.

They were specifically looking for ebayers selling Thai goods overseas, travel writers, remote workers, poker players, programers, any kind of income earning activity done online.

It was all considered work.

I don’t recall ever reading about how it all resolved, but expats were indeed being arrested, and it seemed to me mostly in Chang Mai. 

Around that same time the police issued public statements directing postal workers to look out for and report suspicious mailing activity by foreigners.  Things like showing up a few times a week for months with loads of packages to mail out.

That last one was on my radar.

I had a friend who bought in Pratunam and sold on eBay. I would help him carry large bags of packages to the PO in Kao San.

I eventually quit helping my friend with that. Too risky.

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Even stranger... why would a foreigner target this guy and go to the police to set up a sting with them? 

I could only guess some people get some kind of a sick rush from such activities..

Kind of like the kid in elementary school that likes to tell on others.

Here in NYC/USA tobacco is very heavily taxed and controlled. 

So of course there is a huge black market dedicated to smuggling cigarettes from states were they are much cheaper.

It's not taken lightly by the authorities, one reason smuggling/selling tax free smokes is very popular with the local Mafia.

I imagine its similar in LOS.

Hell, they even bust stores selling bootleg cigarettes made in china! 

Edited by smx1313

9 minutes ago, smx1313 said:

I recall reading about your question on news story on Thaivisa several years ago.

Thai police would go to internet cafes (remember those?), round up all the foreigners and check what they were doing on the computer.

They were specifically looking for ebayers selling Thai goods overseas, travel writers, remote workers, poker players, programers, any kind of income earning activity done online.

I don’t recall ever reading about how it all resolved, but expats were indeed being arrested, and it seemed to me mostly in Chang Mai. 

Around that same time the police issued public statements directing postal workers to look out for and report suspicious mailing activity by foreigners.  Things like showing up a few times a week for months with loads of packages to mail out.

That last one was on my radar.

I had a friend who bought in Pratunam and sold on eBay. I would help him carry large bags of packages to the PO in Kao San.

I eventually quit helping my friend with that. Too risky.

The raided the co-working space based on the upset girlfriend who wanted revenge on some issue with her boyfriend who ran the place.  They brought them all down to the station, checked out and everyone who had a valid visa (tourist, retiree) was let go after checking the passports.  They were not "specifically looking for ebayers selling Thai goods overseas".

3 hours ago, dictater said:

How in this instance is he denying a Thai person work/income or profit? I know that is not the regulations on which the work permit is given but it is the basis on which the labor law was created. 

In the normal way, if you hadn't noticed just about every market in Thailand has at least one vendor of chewing tobacco.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

In the normal way, if you hadn't noticed just about every market in Thailand has at least one vendor of chewing tobacco.

If it was a Swede selling then i doubt it was chewing tobacco which is an American habit. It is more likely to be what the Swedes call "Snus" which is a type of snuff placed under the lip. It comes loose or in small pouches. Revolting stuff if you swallow it by accident.

Just now, ResandePohm said:

If it was a Swede selling then i doubt it was chewing tobacco which is an American habit. It is more likely to be what the Swedes call "Snus" which is a type of snuff placed under the lip. It comes loose or in small pouches. Revolting stuff if you swallow it by accident.

They are essentially the same thing, just packaged differently, as can be the Thai stuff, there are different ways it is prepared, regardless selling a tobacco product of any sort takes trade always from Thai tobacco sellers.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect the song and dance is because it is Tobacco (and probably untaxed tobacco at that),and we all know how the Thai Tobacco Monopoly tries to stamp out anyone infringing on their profits.

As far as I can tell, the main offence would be importation/evasion of tax.  He's been charged with working illegally.  That's a bit of a head scratcher.  Maybe, he'll be charged with the main offence later.  There is a similarity with the Swiss guy who got hit with draconian treatment for importing e-cigarettes, and it was made to appear that using an ecig is unlawful.  In these instances, people get hit hard, and the incident is publicised in order to get the message across- in this instance that working on a retirement visa is unlawful.

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

As far as I can tell, the main offence would be importation/evasion of tax.  He's been charged with working illegally.  That's a bit of a head scratcher.  Maybe, he'll be charged with the main offence later.  There is a similarity with the Swiss guy who got hit with draconian treatment for importing e-cigarettes, and it was made to appear that using an ecig is unlawful.  In these instances, people get hit hard, and the incident is publicised in order to get the message across- in this instance that working on a retirement visa is unlawful.

Not a head scratcher - likely the export side does not have the laws in place .... they typically focus on illegal import.... but I have no doubt that he is currently being deported to a country where he violated controlled substance import laws.  There typically can be some really hefty penalties (10 years potentially).

Edited by bkkcanuck8

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Not a head scratcher - likely the export side does not have the laws in place .... they typically focus on illegal import.... but I have no doubt that he is currently being deported to a country where he violated controlled substance import laws.  There typically can be some really hefty penalties (10 years potentially).

Can you explain again?  I'm puzzled.

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Can you explain again?  I'm puzzled.

In many countries tobacco / cigarettes are non-mailable - so sending them through the post. (potential offence #1).

Evasion of import taxes #2

Smuggling a controlled substance #3

Selling to a minor (legally required to check age of buyer) #4 

I am sure there are probably a few more....

Then in countries like the US you have potentially consecutive (vs concurrent) sentencing....  each act of shipping could conceivably be considered individually.

Then you potentially have multiple countries whose laws were violated.

I thought out 10 years sort of randomly, but it is not that much of a stretch.  

Edited by bkkcanuck8

44 minutes ago, smx1313 said:

No-one was charged.   The police had been told they were working for companies in Thailand.  When it was shown they were working online and not being paid by a Thai company they were all released. 

All details can be found here - http://blog.copass.org/coworkers-detained-thailand/   

and more details here  -  
http://www.johnnyfd.com/2014/09/live-updates-immigration-crackdown-in.html

Since that incident there have been no further issues (that I've heard of) and the number of Co-Working spaces operating in Thailand has grown considerably.    Most of the customers in Co-working spaces are foreigners working online (building apps, websites, etc).

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Strange story .

There is probably a bit more to this story than has been reported .

Someone thought that he was selling drugs ?

Someone with a grievance against him ?

It does seem quite a travial matter and its surprising the the Police took any action

This stinks of someone in the Thai authorities being pissed off, losing out on his or her cut, so action is taken ! No surprises here ! Next !