Tesco Lotus fires rude cashier who calls customer ‘sh*tty’ in viral video

snoop1130

Tesco Lotus fires rude cashier who calls customer ‘sh*tty’ in viral video

By Coconuts Bangkok

rtghb.JPG

Tesco Lotus fired an employee yesterday following a heated argument with a male customer, during which she used vulgar language and sneered at him for driving a bicycle.

We’re guessing it was a pretty easy call for the retail giant as the argument was captured on video for the whole world to see.

According to the customer, who has requested to remain anonymous, he had gone to a Tesco Lotus store in Bangkok’s Lat Krabang area on Tuesday to buy seven bags of sugar and two cases of fish sauce.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tesco-lotus-fires-rude-cashier-calls-customer-shtty-viral-video/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-11-17

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In retail customer service, if an employe male or female cannot hold his or her nerves, his/her workplace is definately elsewhere....

...customer service? does that not ring a bell to some ? ...

Many here would not appreciate getting snubbed or bugged off of in any retail store when shopping for a TV or a pool pump?...so why should it not also apply to grocery retailers ?

....well done, Tesco Lotus !...carry on to maintain even higher standards to serve the customers and the other retailers should follow the example....

Edited by observer90210

I hate to complain and very rarely do but I did a few years back about an employee of an international hotel in BKK.  Not sure what her problem was but she sufficiently p***ed me off enough to complain a few days after we departed.  

My wife and I treated her with total respect from the outset, as always, but she was intent on making us feel like crap and I was in no mood, particularly after a twelve hour flight from the UK.  We had previously dealt with her on numerous occasions without incident.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, so made a detailed complaint directly to the GM and after a few back and forth emails was informed that she'll never be serving us again.  I have a way of making my point in as few words and eloquently as possible.

We still patronise the same hotel on arrival to Bangkok and the management were as good as their word - never seen or heard of her since.  Ever since the management personally email us prior to arrival and also greet us at the door which gets a bit much but at least they care.  They're not cheap rooms but it's an international hotel so obviously a high standard of service.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

TV Members and Guests, please don't waste 6 minutes 36 seconds of your valuable time, like i just did, waiting for it to all kick off. :annoyed:

Lol> Yes! I want my 3 minutes back - that was pushing it. Why would a customer stand there for 6.5 minutes arguing with a cashier? What was the point? From what I saw I'd say the customer was equally at fault here. Why would any cashier be expected to deal with that?

52 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

In retail customer service, if an employe male or female cannot hold his or her nerves, his/her workplace is definately elsewhere....

...customer service? does that not ring a bell to some ? ...

Many here would not appreciate getting snubbed or bugged off of in any retail store when shopping for a TV or a pool pump?...so why should it not also apply to grocery retailers ?

....well done, Tesco Lotus !...carry on to maintain even higher standards to serve the customers and the other retailers should follow the example....

Maintain "even higher standards"? LOL. I've come across many rude staff at Tesco Lotuses. I don't stand there an complain though... I just leave without a word. I'd say they are worse than 7Eleven staff on average.

22 minutes ago, tropo said:

Maintain "even higher standards"? LOL. I've come across many rude staff at Tesco Lotuses. I don't stand there an complain though... I just leave without a word. I'd say they are worse than 7Eleven staff on average.

Ok I belive your story.

Perhaps since this incident has gone viral, the other bad apples would be warned and it may hopefully change things.

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Ok I belive your story.

Perhaps since this incident has gone viral, the other bad apples would be warned and it may hopefully change things.

The rudeness I'm referring to is mainly just a very unfriendly attitude coupled with very slow service - they don't talk. Sure, if I was to say something they probably would.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

The rudeness I'm referring to is mainly just a very unfriendly attitude coupled with very slow service - they don't talk. Sure, if I was to say something they probably would.

Yup .... perfectly normal for most shops in Prachuap that's if they are not hiding avoiding you:post-4641-1156693976:

3 hours ago, stud858 said:

I agree with petermik. Everyone is entitled to let off some steam. Getting sacked is harsh. 

Ordinarily I might agree but if you click on the article link and read the full story there's no question that she was incredibly rude and condescending to the man ... she deserved to be fired.

3 hours ago, stud858 said:

I agree with petermik. Everyone is entitled to let off some steam. Getting sacked is harsh. 

Well, if I would do this at my home, in Switzerland, I would be sacked within 1 minute!

So in Thailand it seams that the "may pen rai" is allowed also to a cashier having her PMS?

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:
6 hours ago, stud858 said:

Ordinarily I might agree but if you click on the article link and read the full story there's no question that she was incredibly rude and condescending to the man ... she deserved to be fired.

Yep, even if you can't understand what she's saying, you can see a very bad attitude showing there. Getting sacked wasn't harsh at all, but exactly the right thing to do. Some people (many people) should NOT be employed in the service industry. 

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:
4 hours ago, tropo said:

Ok I belive your story.

I was reading through some of the comments to the YouTube video using a translator. It seems Thai people are also well aware of the poor service at Tesco:

Translated using Google:

ต้องบอกว่าเท่าที่เคยมีประสบการณ์ พนง.โลตัส เกินกว่า 70% มีพฤติกรรม ไกล้เคียงแบบนี้ แค่ไม่ได้ด่าลูกค้า แต่พูดจาหยาบคายกันเองข้ามหัวลูกค้า ส่วนที่ดีและน่ารัก มีไม่มาก เลยถูกกลบไปหมด ทุกวันนี้ไม่จำเป๋น ขอไม่เข้าจะง่ายที่สุด

I have to say that as far as the experience of Lotus over 70%, this behavior is similar. I do not have a customer. But I do not care. The good and the cute are not all over. I do not remember today. I will not be the easiest.

Edited by tropo

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Lol> Yes! I want my 3 minutes back - that was pushing it. Why would a customer stand there for 6.5 minutes arguing with a cashier? What was the point? From what I saw I'd say the customer was equally at fault here. Why would any cashier be expected to deal with that?

Yes, you're right, why would any cashier be expected to deal with that?  Really terrible that a customer should want to buy things from a shop that sells them.

2 hours ago, Pesche said:

Well, if I would do this at my home, in Switzerland, I would be sacked within 1 minute!

So in Thailand it seams that the "may pen rai" is allowed also to a cashier having her PMS?

Maybe you should read the report properly. mai pen rai didn't enter into it, at all, neither did PMS.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, you're right, why would any cashier be expected to deal with that?  Really terrible that a customer should want to buy things from a shop that sells them.

I don't think you quite understood my comment, so allow me to elaborate. Despite the cashier's lousy attitude, what was the point of the disgruntled customer mouthing off at her for over 6 minutes? That's weird and beyond reasonable. Who does that? Normal people may say a few words and then move on.

Anyway, it has been resolved. She has been retired or terminated. I've just noted that the video has been taken down. Perhaps there's plenty of defamation ammo on it. The posting of it online would not be good for the customer if he said a lot of nasty things.

Edited by tropo

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I don't think you quite understood my comment, so allow me to elaborate. Despite the cashier's lousy attitude, what was the point of the disgruntled customer mouthing off at her for over 6 minutes? That's weird and beyond reasonable. Who does that? Normal people may say a few words and then move on.

Anyway, it has been resolved. She has been retired or terminated.

I understood your comment even without the superfluous elaboration.

The point was that he wanted to buys goods that he needed to make a living and she was refusing him his right to do that.  The only things that were weird and unreasonable were the cashier's offensively, condescending attitude and your apparent siding more with her than the customer who was 100% in the right.

And I know she was fired, no need for you to point that out.

12 hours ago, tropo said:

Quite obviously you are not a customer in the same Tesco I am a customer.

Unfortunate, I have noticed quite a difference in treatment when I ride my bicycle around town and stop at shops, often the attitudes towards me are markedly different than when I drive our Fortuner. I have also noticed clerks and cashiers badmouthing customers to each other, thinking the foreigner customer who is standing there does not understand what they are saying, the last time was at one of the aforementioned stores.

13 hours ago, Here It Is said:

I hate to complain and very rarely do but I did a few years back about an employee of an international hotel in BKK.  Not sure what her problem was but she sufficiently p***ed me off enough to complain a few days after we departed.  

My wife and I treated her with total respect from the outset, as always, but she was intent on making us feel like crap and I was in no mood, particularly after a twelve hour flight from the UK.  We had previously dealt with her on numerous occasions without incident.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, so made a detailed complaint directly to the GM and after a few back and forth emails was informed that she'll never be serving us again.  I have a way of making my point in as few words and eloquently as possible.

We still patronise the same hotel on arrival to Bangkok and the management were as good as their word - never seen or heard of her since.  Ever since the management personally email us prior to arrival and also greet us at the door which gets a bit much but at least they care.  They're not cheap rooms but it's an international hotel so obviously a high standard of service.

she now works in the kitchen .....  have you tried their restaurant food    ?   :shock1: