Questioned at BKK entering on successive SETV, advice needed.

5 minutes ago, jimster said:

I think it's just his opinion. Banks can and do open account for tourists - at least the main branches located in tourist areas and the head offices, located in Bangkok. There is also no good reason for disallowing it, or for assuming that it will "work against you". It's a requirement to open a Thai bank account to show you have sufficient funds if you are planning to stay in Thailand on a marriage or retirement visa. Usually someone starts out on a tourist visa (or exemption) before they go through the stage of converting their status to marriage or retirement inside the country. Having foreign sourced money in a foreign account complicates matters - it requires visits to your embassy and there's always a possibility an immigration officer won't accept it and say: "money must be in a Thai bank account".

There are some that believe a tourist having a bank account should not be allowed.  I know several tourists (usually from societies that are more cash based - Japan/Asia) that will typically open bank accounts (at least when visiting Canada).  Actually, I think if a tourist has more than a thousand dollars -- and visiting for more than a month (or regularly) -- it is prudent to open a bank account.   Relying on foreign bank or credit cards is more risky than opening a local account, and if you think a hotel safe is secure -- think again.   If you lose your local bank card, you go there and withdraw funds in person (even if you lose your passport you can go to the embassy and get temporary documents same day - usually a letter with a picture and the embassy seal), or get a replacement same day.  It is very stressful for many to be without access to accounts and low on funds if they lose their cards etc.  If you are a regular visitor you don't have to close the account, since it will be there the next time you visit (assuming you visit fairly regularly).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Soneva said:

One poster above suggested occasionally going somewhere on vacation and then coming back with a 30 day visa exempt entry. Would that be advisable? i.e. would that interrupt they cycle of repeated SETVs, and then reduce the risk of scrutiny?

The risk of getting a red stamp is specifically related to using the same embassy back to back too many times (usually more than three), so you're very lucky Vientiane didn't give you one. Breaking the cycle with a visa exempt entry or (preferably) a new SETV from a different embassy should prevent this from happening.

Furthermore, more varied trips around Asia to different places looks much more like regular tourist activity.

Being scrutinised on entry here is not directly related to this, however a warning stamp from an embassy will stick out in your passport like a sore thumb and will possibly alert immigration officers here to look more closely, as well as perhaps affecting the ease of being granted future visas by some embassies. 

• Like 1

Just to add to Tim's comment, there are several regional embassies which do seem quite easy to deal with too - Penang, Savannakhet, Hanoi, HCMC, HK etc, as well as others slightly further away such as Denpasar in Bali. The best way to research any destination is to google "Thai tourist visa Hanoi" or something similar and you should see recent trip reports, both from this forum and on people's travel blogs etc.

In any case, the real risk of being refused entry comes from not being able to show the 20000 baht funds if asked, or proof of address, means of financial support etc on entry.

Edited by lamyai3
Removed Taipei from suggestions due to recent negative report.
  • Like 1

Just to add to Tim's comment, there are several regional embassies which do seem quite easy to deal with too - Penang, Savannakhet, Hanoi, HCMC, HK etc, as well as others slightly further away such as Denpasar in Bali. The best way to research any destination is to google "Thai tourist visa Hanoi" or something similar and you should see recent trip reports, both from this forum and on people's travel blogs etc.

In any case, the real risk of being refused entry comes from not being able to show the 20000 baht funds if asked, or proof of address, means of financial support etc on entry.

Thanks everyone for the help. This information has potentially saved me a lot of time, effort, and money.

Fortunately, there are enough embassies and consulates considered to be “friendly” that I can use on a rotational basis for even a couple of years without too much repetition. And hopefully within that time frame I will have gotten my Thailand Elite visa or otherwise have different visa status.

Most of these places will inherently mean entering at BKK, but I’ll just have all mu ducks in a row and cross my fingers.

So, as discussed earlier in this thread, I am thinking of using Savannakhet for my upcoming trip. I want to avoid BKK for at least my next entry, in hopes that if they have “flagged” my record that enough time might pass for that to normalize.

If I go to Savannakhet, is there anything wrong with flying there directly on Lao airlines, but then crossing the border by land (perhaps with a group in a bus) and then flying back to DMK from one of the nearby regional airports?

I want to reduce time spent on busses etc... to an absolute minimum. Would flying out and coming in by land be seen as suspicious by immigration, or does it not matter how I depart?

I would greatly appreciate any advice re itineraries, where to cross, services or transportation options, and hotels. I want to do this as comfortably, safely, and with the least risk possible.

After that, I’ll do my next trip to Yangon, HK, Hanoi, or HCMC by air returning to BKK.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Soneva said:

Thanks everyone for the help. This information has potentially saved me a lot of time, effort, and money.

Fortunately, there are enough embassies and consulates considered to be “friendly” that I can use on a rotational basis for even a couple of years without too much repetition. And hopefully within that time frame I will have gotten my Thailand Elite visa or otherwise have different visa status.

Most of these places will inherently mean entering at BKK, but I’ll just have all mu ducks in a row and cross my fingers.

So, as discussed earlier in this thread, I am thinking of using Savannakhet for my upcoming trip. I want to avoid BKK for at least my next entry, in hopes that if they have “flagged” my record that enough time might pass for that to normalize.

If I go to Savannakhet, is there anything wrong with flying there directly on Lao airlines, but then crossing the border by land (perhaps with a group in a bus) and then flying back to DMK from one of the nearby regional airports?

I want to reduce time spent on busses etc... to an absolute minimum. Would flying out and coming in by land be seen as suspicious by immigration, or does it not matter how I depart?

I would greatly appreciate any advice re itineraries, where to cross, services or transportation options, and hotels. I want to do this as comfortably, safely, and with the least risk possible.

After that, I’ll do my next trip to Yangon, HK, Hanoi, or HCMC by air returning to BKK.

How you describe doing it to  Savannakhet will be fine, this is a "friendly" land crossing

Be aware that there are conditions to get a SETV there, you can do a forum search or i'm sure someone will be along to advise you of them

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soneva said:

There is nothing terribly wrong with flying direct to Savannakhet. Bear in mind that the arrival time means you cannot apply for a visa until the next day, and it is expensive compared to other ways of getting there.

Other options for getting to Savannakhet are

• A fly-ride service to Mukdahan on the other side of the Mekong River using Nok Air or Air Asia, followed by a bus across the Friendship Bridge 2 into Savannakhet. The fly-ride service flies to one of the nearest airports, and then about two hours in a decent minivan into Mukdahan. This what I recommend for the return. Unfortunately, none of the flights leave Bangkok early enough to apply for the visa the same day. As a result, another option to consider is
  • Overnight VIP bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan. This is a long trip (and I share your dislike for long bus journeys). However, on the better VIP buses it is tolerable, and works perfectly for arriving at the consulate around 9:00 am in the morning to do the application.

Do not concern yourself about it looking suspicious going by air and returning by land. It makes sense as you otherwise need another night in Savannakhet, and the fly-ride service has you back in Bangkok the same evening you pick up your passport.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

There is nothing terribly wrong with flying direct to Savannakhet. Bear in mind that the arrival time means you cannot apply for a visa until the next day, and it is expensive compared to other ways of getting there.

Other options for getting to Savannakhet are
  • A fly-ride service to Mukdahan on the other side of the Mekong River using Nok Air or Air Asia, followed by a bus across the Friendship Bridge 2 into Savannakhet. The fly-ride service flies to one of the nearest airports, and then about two hours in a decent minivan into Mukdahan. This what I recommend for the return. Unfortunately, none of the flights leave Bangkok early enough to apply for the visa the same day. As a result, another option to consider is
  • Overnight VIP bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan. This is a long trip (and I share your dislike for long bus journeys). However, on the better VIP buses it is tolerable, and works perfectly for arriving at the consulate around 9:00 am in the morning to do the application.
Do not concern yourself about it looking suspicious going by air and returning by land. It makes sense as you otherwise need another night in Savannakhet, and the fly-ride service has you back in Bangkok the same evening you pick up your passport.

Thank you. I’ll do Lao Airlines direct on the outbound, as flight timing is not a concern and I would rather minimize bus travel. An extra night in an hotel is the lesser evil in my view.

On the way back I will look into Fly/Ride options with Nok Air or Air Asia.

I may actually want to extend my stay in Laos and go up to Vientiane and/or Luang Prabang after getting the visa. Are the land border crossings up there equally friendly?

12 minutes ago, Soneva said:

Thank you. I’ll do Lao Airlines direct on the outbound, as flight timing is not a concern and I would rather minimize bus travel. An extra night in an hotel is the lesser evil in my view.

I may actually want to extend my stay in Laos and go up to Vientiane and/or Luang Prabang after getting the visa. Are the land border crossings up there equally friendly?

The border crossing from Vientiane to Nong Khai is very friendly.

While Luang Prabang is definitely a place to visit, getting from there by land into Thailand is not trivial. At one time, there were luxury boat trips from there up into Northern Thailand, but the lower water levels in the Mekong means those are long gone. There are some other options for returning by land, but the easiest is probably just to retrace your steps to Vientiane, and return through Nong Khai.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2017 at 1:52 AM, Soneva said:

This was my fourth consecutive visa from Vientiane. No warning stamp this time.

Which consulates/embassies with land boarder access would be good options?

I am most comfortable with Laos, but Cambodia would be an option (if avoiding problematic border crossings). I suppose Malaysia and Myanmar are the only other options.

I never ho back to the US (home country), so that is not a viable option for a visa run.

Do they ask for any supporting documents in Vientiane (hotel booking, onward travel)?

Edited by peterdarby

The border crossing from Vientiane to Nong Khai is very friendly.
While Luang Prabang is definitely a place to visit, getting from there by land into Thailand is not trivial. At one time, there were luxury boat trips from there up into Northern Thailand, but the lower water levels in the Mekong means those are long gone. There are some other options for returning by land, but the easiest is probably just to retrace your steps to Vientiane, and return through Nong Khai.

Thank you. I have been on a Mekong river trip years ago when I visited the Golden Triangle. I am sure that it is much easier just to return to Vientiane and cross at Nong Khai.

Between Nong Khai and the Savannakhet friendship bridge 2, is one more friendly or easier to navigate than the other? Or, does in not make a big difference?

59 minutes ago, Soneva said:

Thank you. I have been on a Mekong river trip years ago when I visited the Golden Triangle. I am sure that it is much easier just to return to Vientiane and cross at Nong Khai.

Between Nong Khai and the Savannakhet friendship bridge 2, is one more friendly or easier to navigate than the other? Or, does in not make a big difference?

I've crossed at Nong Khai many times on my visa trips and at Savannkhet once. In my experience the biggest difference is that Nong Khai is a very busy crossing and it can take a long time to cross if you get there at the same time with all the visa run groups. I suggest avoiding the busy times. I crossed there a few times with a visarun group and it took forever (entering at 6am and returning around 2pm). When I did it on my own (entering in the afternoon and returning in the morning) there was no hassle and I crossed the checkpoints in no time.

I crossed at Savannakhet only once but that was really nice and quiet compared to Nongkhai. Hardly any people both ways. There I entered from Mukdahan to Laos right at the opening time of the border crossing and came back in the afternoon. Hardly any people around.

Both seemed friendly to me as I've been avoiding consecutive SETVs (as I explained earlier in the thread), so I can't say which one would be an easier one for you.

Also just to mention about the difference between the two consulates. Vientiane is the busiest one I've been to and Savannakhet is the total opposite, very quiet and nice service (at least in my experience)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soneva said:

Both are OK. Apart from being extremely busy, I would say Nong Khai is even better than Mukdahan, but there is little in it. I am sure you will be fine whichever you go for.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Soneva said:

I typically despise long bus rides -- but for some reason the trip (only one I did) to Savannakhet ... but on the VIP bus it was pretty good (single seat side).  Since it was at night I figured I would just spend the time using my laptop with my phone as a modem and time would pass quickly... but it passed even quicker since I flaked out most of the trip and woke up shortly before arrival.  One of the easier long bus rides I have ever done.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some searching online. From what I can see, the requirements for the SETV are:

Proof of at least ฿20,000. I will have at least this amount in cash.

A flight out of Thailand. I will use my next ticket to Yangon for this purpose. I will schedule departure within 60 days, but later change that to 90 days later once visa is extended, as it will be a flexible ticket.

I will travel with Bank Statements showing foreign income and ATM withdrawals in Thailand as further proof if necessary.

Are there any other things I am missing? Apart from the obvious such as photographs and photocopies of passport, which I presume is the same process as in Vientiane.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Where do you plan to get your visa? Requirements vary widely from consulate to consulate.

As a general rule, if you are entering Thailand with a visa, you only need to be concerned about having the cash.

A couple of months from now. As you suggested earlier in this thread, I plan on going to Savannakhet for my next SETV.

I have heard others talk about “invitation letters,” address within Thailand and other supporting documentation. However, perhaps those people are on different types of Visas.

Should I be good to go simply with sufficient cash and bank statements, as well as my next airline ticket out of Thailand?

The last thing I want is to get to Savannakhet, or any other consulate, and be without something I need to complete the process.

4 hours ago, Soneva said:

As you suggested earlier in this thread, I plan on going to Savannakhet for my next SETV.

I have heard others talk about “invitation letters,” address within Thailand and other supporting documentation. However, perhaps those people are on different types of Visas.

Should I be good to go simply with sufficient cash and bank statements, as well as my next airline ticket out of Thailand?

Apart from the items you mention, you should also have proof of where you will be staying in Thailand. This can be hotel reservations that you subsequently cancel if you do not have anything else suitable to hand. The official requirements in Savannakhet are quite strict, but it is a reliable place to get your visa as long as you have the needed documents.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Soneva said:

Proof of at least ฿20,000. I will have at least this amount in cash.

On the 20K Baht rule:

• MUST be in cash or travelers checks if asked for it by an IO upon entering the country.  "Proof" or having it "on plastic" will not work for this requirement, when entering the country.
  • MUST NOT be in cash or travelers checks when showing proof-of-funds to apply for a Tourist Visa at a Thai Consulate.  Only bank-statements / books are accepted for this.  An online-statement printout is OK, but you might be asked to show a bank-card to prove the printout is genuine.
  • Like 2

Apart from the items you mention, you should also have proof of where you will be staying in Thailand. This can be hotel reservations that you subsequently cancel if you do not have anything else suitable to hand. The official requirements in Savannakhet are quite strict, but it is a reliable place to get your visa as long as you have the needed documents.

What would constitute proof for these purposes. A specific type of signed document from my Thai family showing their residence, along with their identity card, perhaps?

If I choose to show an hotel reservation instead, would it have to be for a significant portion of the 60 days, or would just the first week or so be sufficient?

On the 20K Baht rule:
  • MUST be in cash or travelers checks if asked for it by an IO upon entering the country.  "Proof" or having it "on plastic" will not work for this requirement, when entering the country.
  • MUST NOT be in cash or travelers checks when showing proof-of-funds to apply for a Tourist Visa at a Thai Consulate.  Only bank-statements / books are accepted for this.  An online-statement printout is OK, but you might be asked to show a bank-card to prove the printout is genuine.

Thank you. So, both bank statements and a minimum of ฿20,000 in cash for the border crossing.

I only receive electronic statements, so the printout along with the associated ATM card will have to do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Soneva said:
8 hours ago, BritTim said:

What would constitute proof for these purposes. A specific type of signed document from my Thai family showing their residence, along with their identity card, perhaps?

If I choose to show an hotel reservation instead, would it have to be for a significant portion of the 60 days, or would just the first week or so be sufficient?

Copy of their house book, id card, and a letter of invitation ought to do it.

On the hotel, I cannot tell you for certain. Yangon, when I needed reservations when applying there was satisfied with only a three night reservation, but I would guess Savannakhet might want more.

14 hours ago, Soneva said:

A couple of months from now. As you suggested earlier in this thread, I plan on going to Savannakhet for my next SETV.

The last thing I want is to get to Savannakhet, or any other consulate, and be without something I need to complete the process.

If you are worried that you will  "be without something I need to complete the process" then why not go to Vientianne instead?

Nothing required apart from forms, 3 photos and 1000 Baht, it really couldn't be any easier, I returned from there yesterday with a SETV

There is no requirements for sufficient cash and bank statements, as well as my next airline ticket out of Thailand

If you are worried that you will  "be without something I need to complete the process" then why not go to Vientianne instead?

Nothing required apart from forms, 3 photos and 1000 Baht, it really couldn't be any easier, I returned from there yesterday with a SETV

There is no requirements for sufficient cash and bank statements, as well as my next airline ticket out of Thailand

I have done four consecutive Vientiane SETVs, and have a total of five from Vientiane in total. I have been advised not to continue at Vientiane to avoid a “red stamp” situation.

Meeting the requirements is not what I am worried about, what I meant was that I do not want to travel all the way there and the have a hang up because I don’t have some document.

• 1 month later...

For the SETV application in Savannakhet, I can provide photocopies of house registration along with a photocopy of the owner’s ID card.

I have never used an “invitation letter” before. Is this simply a letter from my Thai family saying that I am invited to stay with them? Is there a usual format for such a letter, or any specific details it should include apart from the obvious?

If I decided to provide hotel bookings instead, would this have to be bookings for the entire visa validity period, or would a simple hotel booking for the first week or so suffice?

7 minutes ago, Soneva said:

For the SETV application in Savannakhet, I can provide photocopies of house registration along with a photocopy of the owner’s ID card.

I have never used an “invitation letter” before. Is this simply a letter from my Thai family saying that I am invited to stay with them? Is there a usual format for such a letter, or any specific details it should include apart from the obvious?

If I decided to provide hotel bookings instead, would this have to be bookings for the entire visa validity period, or would a simple hotel booking for the first week or so suffice?

I cannot speak to the invitation letter (have never seen this), but they were accepting short hotel-bookings from others when I was there - a week should be fine.  I used my rental-contract (1-year) for a condo, when I applied.  Note that you will also need proof of a flight-out within 90-days plus proof of 20K Baht worth of savings, via a bank-statement (can be a non-Thai account).

• Like 1

On the 20K Baht rule:

Would you be able to show them via your Banking App on the phone?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, baneko said:

On entry to the country only cash or travelers checks are accepted.

Applying for a visa it would have to be a print out of the account. A printed out screenshot will likely be accepted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baneko said:

I recall reports of this being tried and rejected in both instances - applying for a Visa, and getting denied-entry for not having the cash to show. 

At a consulate, they need a paper-trail, to prove they did their job - a printout.  Its a "cya" thing.

On entry, access to an ATM to get the cash has been reported refused.  When they ask to "see the money" - they are looking to deny-entry, not finding out if you "really have the funds" to afford being in Thailand.

There is no "extra money" for IOs when people get Tourist Visas and enter Visa-Exempt.  They aren't interested in "the truth" of the situation - any more than the IO at the local office, who wants agent-laundered brown-envelope money, cares if you are a "bad guy" criminal getting an extension, or are "really attending" your Thai-language classes while on an ED extension.

Edited by JackThompson