Work to begin on Thai - Japan "Bullet Train" in 2019

rooster59

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

If you took a look at the government budgets over the past years you would notice that the budget for the armed forces is going up every year.

So while I agree that a lot of the military spending is a waste, I think they will save money from elsewhere to have both new air ships, submarines, tanks, AND a high speed train.

I wonder if it wouldn't be more correct to say "rob" money from elsewhere as opposed to "save" money from elsewhere.

The train might have the capacity of high speed, but what about the vendors on the track? In urban areas it have to go slow...

[/url]  

The picture you show is of a legacy train system, where we all know the issues.

The airport rail link runs in to Central BKK and they planned for that. I think you have to look at that project to see a potential solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, DonaldBattles said:

I think you will find the high speed trains in China are world class. Thailand will accept no less. Not how the longest train in the world leaves China going to Frankfort and branching to the UK 3 times per week. The Silk road has been opened.  

Actually, that could be a fun way to get to Thailand.  London to China to Bangkok, all by train.  OK, a slow way compared to flying, but scenic and I'm retired, so time isn't an issue.

16 minutes ago, Justified said:

And it is a fantastic train system

And who built that fantastic system--??

It is a fantastic system because the people who built it knew what they were doing.

The China Railway Construction Corporation and China National Machinery Import and Export Corporation won the bid in 2005 to build the railway line--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_Turkey

Edited by sanuk711

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Forget it; you'll be Ashes before it's built !

Yes we have all heard that about every project Thailand undertakes...... Airports---BTS---Underground system.....and every-time its been said by an embittered know nothing ex-pat.......& of course....every time its been wrong.......:wub:

29 minutes ago, Justified said:

The picture you show is of a legacy train system, where we all know the issues.

The airport rail link runs in to Central BKK and they planned for that. I think you have to look at that project to see a potential solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My bad for not putting out smilies. It was ment as a joke;)

I have a lively imagination and pictured the veggies after the bullit train have passed:)

40 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

The train might have the capacity of high speed, but what about the vendors on the track? In urban areas it have to go slow...

You chose to show a disconnected part of the SRT that runs from Wong Wian Yai, Bangkok to Maeklong, Samut Songkhram, with the break in the middle at the Tha Chin river.The trains run quite slowly which suits the kind of passengers who use it. It passes through the  Talat Rom Hup,  (umbrella pull down market)'

HST right of way will be quite separate from surface traffic, people, animals etc, as is the practice in other countries..

i enjoy the train to cm,it is slow and at night so you can sleep.a nice way to get up nth.if you are in a hurry then a plane is the way to travel.the bullet train has to price itself right if they want people using it,don,t forget they just changed the carriages for travel to cm.they have  20 plus years at lest on the new carriages left

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Unless every crossing in the country is staffed by round the clock guards to stop idiot car and truck and bike drivers, then this project is totally doomed to failure before it begins.

You mean like this....and that was for a slow train. Interestingly the cause of this accident was brake failure would you believe; no human error.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30276414

Perfect, trains are a very good means of transport. Compared to the shit we have to use in the West and the lack of government investment in the west I think just like the BTS and MRT its only going to benefit the country for years to come. I am a train fan, so I am biased but its a lot less hassle to take a train than a plane, even if the cost was the same. It will also allow much better movement of people than using outdated transport such as vans and buses and open up a lot more business. 

I have taken the train between Chiang Mai and BKK a number of times, its a nice view but that old system is dated and showing its age. If there was a high speed train I would be taking it over the plane any day. It will also drive tourism into the smaller towns and areas close to the jump off points and benefit more people in the countryside.

Edited by bskerr2

6 hours ago, blackcab said:

How much will the tickets cost? Will the tickets be cheaper than catching a plane? Will the train be faster than a plane?

How is the maintenance going to be funded?

..ask "H" he seems to know the answers to all the hard questions.

4 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Wait a minute, don't people just take a plane if they want to 'slash journey times'?

In many cases, you do not cut your door to door time by using a plane compared to a high speed train.

Train arrive about 5 minutes before departure with or without baggage  and go, arrive in the city centre you are going to and leave.

Plane go to the airport at least an hour before takeoff check in, fly, arrive  and wait to collect your baggage (assuming you checked some in) get from the airport to your destination.

For me the, and the trips I've taken, the overall time was almost the same but the train was a much more relaxed experience. (Roughly 3 hours door to door)

12 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

You mean like this....and that was for a slow train. Interestingly the cause of this accident was brake failure would you believe; no human error.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30276414

I would assume it would be an elevated rail system in some areas and fenced off in others, the same as in Japan. Point is, its needed and needs to happen and will only benefit the country to make it a better place. 

Edited by bskerr2

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In many cases, you do not cut your door to door time by using a plane compared to a high speed train.

Train arrive about 5 minutes before departure with or without baggage  and go, arrive in the city centre you are going to and leave.

Plane go to the airport at least an hour before takeoff check in, fly, arrive  and wait to collect your baggage (assuming you checked some in) get from the airport to your destination.

For me the, and the trips I've taken, the overall time was almost the same but the train was a much more relaxed experience. (Roughly 3 hours door to door)

I totally agree, I have taken the train in China, Japan and other countries and in general its much more relaxing. Just getting to airports which are often miles from a city center can take an hour plus, check in times etc. suck and limited weight issues with luggage that you don't often have to worry about on a train, or at least paying for extra weight is a lot cheaper.

45 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You chose to show a disconnected part of the SRT that runs from Wong Wian Yai, Bangkok to Maeklong, Samut Songkhram, with the break in the middle at the Tha Chin river.The trains run quite slowly which suits the kind of passengers who use it. It passes through the  Talat Rom Hup,  (umbrella pull down market)'

HST right of way will be quite separate from surface traffic, people, animals etc, as is the practice in other countries..

You mean a rail track like this. I was there when the train showed up. Umbrellas went up and the tracks were cleared and the train passed on by.

Railway market_Moment.jpg

Edited by Cadbury

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Great news. Well done Thailand & the Thai government who fast tracked this HPRP to get it through.

To the TV nayers who continue to rabbit on that Thailand is going down hil ... bla ... bla .... bla ..     Your wrong again ..... :clap2:

You don't seem to realise that construction has neither commenced nor a budget been approved and both are still 2 years away. Nevertheless, I'm sure the junta are happy they can generate such enthusiasm from the remaining brainwashed few just by announcing a fictional project rather than actually achieving something.

Sounds very much like obtaining credit before it's due especially in a country lead by talkers and not walkers.

25 minutes ago, bskerr2 said:

I would assume it would be an elevated rail system in some areas and fenced off in others, the same as in Japan. Point is, its needed and needs to happen and will only benefit the country to make it a better place. 

As someone else pointed out fences mean nothing to Thais. Fences are just temporary inconvenient obstacles. There are lots of other things that would make Thailand a better place. A truly democratic election would be one of them.

But that's got about as much chance of happening as the high speed train has of ever being completed. However I applaud your upbeat enthusiasm.

I have been in that train in Japan, and I'm sure, many with me.

If you see the perfect organisation there, with time schedule without any delay, and the perfectionism about the Japanese man, then it is impossible to get the same standards here in LOS.

How many accidents will we get with this?

9 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I have been in that train in Japan, and I'm sure, many with me.

If you see the perfect organisation there, with time schedule without any delay, and the perfectionism about the Japanese man, then it is impossible to get the same standards here in LOS.

How many accidents will we get with this?

You mention "perfect organisation" in relation to the Japanese. Organisational skills in Thailand, particularly the military and much of the senior public service are about as imperfect and immature as you can possibly get and there are plenty of examples to choose from. 

If the HS train ever gets beyond the construction stage it will be nothing short of a miracle. The fun begins when and if the wheels start to turn.

7 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

If you took a look at the government budgets over the past years you would notice that the budget for the armed forces is going up every year.

So while I agree that a lot of the military spending is a waste, I think they will save money from elsewhere to have both new air ships, submarines, tanks, AND a high speed train.

It's only a waste until you need it

6 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

wasn't that meant to kick off like 3 years ago ?

Yes...unlike the British one --which is a whole 125 miles long--and is now 23 years behind....and still talking about it.....or the American one that is.....oh that's right..they dont even have one planed, 

The great American Rail system which USA is now rated  21st out of 22 in the world, beating (Just) Denmark that is so small it doesn't really need a H/S train system but has 5 Klm of high speed rail, against the mighty 44 Klm of high speed that the USA has though out the country.

So while we are laughing about the Thai effort---which one are you from guys?

The one that is still talking about the 125 mile London to Birmingham rail link for the last 23 years..(still not a sod of earth turn on it yet.)

Or the One that is 21st out of 22 countries, with its 44 Klm of high speed rail.