British superstar singer throws weight behind Toon Bodyslam's charity run

rooster59

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Only because people are stupid enough to spend their money buying his 'music.'

Let's be honest the only things that make successfull songs nowadays are the videos.

Stand these so called stars on a stage and get them to carry a song through without a loud group or half naked female backing singers/dancing girls to cover up their bad singing and it would probably be the last time anyone paid to see them.

nope. eds decent mate. listen to some of his music

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

A horse is a horse

Of course, of course

and no one can talk to a horse

of course

unless of course,

the horse of course

is the wonderful mr Ed...?

Loved that programme as a kid. 

I always wanted to hear a duet with Zebbidee and Dylan on the 'Magic Roundabout' but it never happened.

Boiinnng time for bed. ????

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Only because people are stupid enough to spend their money buying his 'music.'

Let's be honest the only things that make successfull songs nowadays are the videos.

Stand these so called stars on a stage and get them to carry a song through without a loud group or half naked female backing singers/dancing girls to cover up their bad singing and it would probably be the last time anyone paid to see them.

I'm almost 70 and go by the name of Old Croc, but It still surprises me to see the dinosaurs on this forum rush to print to proudly declare they have never heard of this or that, as if their lack of knowledge of the current world is somehow proof that all is inferior.

If I don't know about something, or someone, I look it up, so I don't come across as a silly old fool living my life in the past. (Doesn't always work!)

I'm almost 70 and go by the name of Old Croc, but It still surprises me to see the dinosaurs on this forum rush to print to proudly declare they have never heard of this or that, as if their lack of knowledge of the current world is somehow proof that all is inferior.
If I don't know about something, or someone, I look it up, so I don't come across as a silly old fool living my life in the past. (Doesn't always work!)

Couldn't have put it better Old Crock it's nice to see some members are still with it.
What a bunch of boring old farts!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

Couldn't have put it better Old Crock it's nice to see some members are still with it.
What a bunch of boring old farts!

As a self confessed BOF I have to say I do actually like quite a lot of today's stuff.

I just like, for my own amusement, to post something like 'first name WHO' just to read the almost instant responses from some of the younger posters who immediately jump on my post extolling the greatness and exceptional talents of of their favourite singers.

My dad used to do to me when I was younger and was always amused at my defence of the 'pop stars' of my day until I realised what he was doing.

My dad has gone now, long time ago, so I'm just getting my own back and having my own wee chuckle at some of the responses.

Try not to take life and pop stars so seriously lads, some day, and sooner than you might believe you will be the BOFs .

To be honest I used to think Trans was a young whipersnapper disco singing whirling dervish. 

:stoner:  

I like some of Sheerans stuff and admire his talent as a singer/songwriter although my tastes probably lean more to classic rock.

However, to suggest he fits this description :

"Stand these so called stars on a stage and get them to carry a song through without a loud group or half naked female backing singers/dancing girls to cover up their bad singing and it would probably be the last time anyone paid to see them"  is ludicrous and as far from actuality as you can get.

The guy is a scruff who will join in on any stage, or sing with buskers on the street, if he hears them playing one of his songs. A bit like Roy Orbison, he can sing in tune anywhere under any circumstances.

12 hours ago, evadgib said:

Thanks for that link. I enjoyed it.

12 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I am 73 and it still surprises me that so many of the younger posters have never heard the older stuff and get upset and blame us "oldies" because we don't know much about their musical tastes.

Yet when we post things that we enjoy they mock us without knowing what we like.

I am not nor are most of us oldies foolish and living in the past. We have realised over the years that while some of our tastes change and we change with them many of the younger members haven't realised or even accepted that they too will grow older and that their tastes will also change.

I first started listening to music in the 1950s on a radio with valves (transistors were a new thing) and in coffee bars. Many of the singers I listened to then are now long dead but some of them are still around, Cliff Richards for one, and he has been in the music business for 60 years. I liked the Beatles but not the Rolling Stones and they have also been in the business over 50 years and are still playing to sell out concerts.

Will Ed Sheeran still be a "superstar" in 10 years time or will the public, who after all made him a "superstar" move on to someone younger, newer, more trendy?

I have no idea.

24 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thanks for that link. I enjoyed it.

I am 73 and it still surprises me that so many of the younger posters have never heard the older stuff and get upset and blame us "oldies" because we don't know much about their musical tastes.

Yet when we post things that we enjoy they mock us without knowing what we like.

I am not nor are most of us oldies foolish and living in the past. We have realised over the years that while some of our tastes change and we change with them many of the younger members haven't realised or even accepted that they too will grow older and that their tastes will also change.

I first started listening to music in the 1950s on a radio with valves (transistors were a new thing) and in coffee bars. Many of the singers I listened to then are now long dead but some of them are still around, Cliff Richards for one, and he has been in the music business for 60 years. I liked the Beatles but not the Rolling Stones and they have also been in the business over 50 years and are still playing to sell out concerts.

Will Ed Sheeran still be a "superstar" in 10 years time or will the public, who after all made him a "superstar" move on to someone younger, newer, more trendy?

I have no idea.

ed will be a superstar in ten years, for sure. as big as cliff. who knows, thats a big ask

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

ed will be a superstar in ten years, for sure. as big as cliff. who knows, thats a big ask

Bessie was a star then and is still a voice everyone should listen to now.

Pure Blues

Edited by Bluespunk

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

This is a disposable society and the me, me, me generation.

What is popular and fashionable now can be dropped in an instant if a new more popular person comes along.

For every popular singer there are thousands of unpopular ones, the one hit wonders, those who believed their own hype and failed on the way.

I could never try to predict pop music nowadays.

I hope that you are right about Ed Sheeran for his sake but at least he has made his money now and hopefully invested a lot for his future.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What is popular and fashionable now can be dropped in an instant if a new more popular person comes along.

For every popular singer there are thousands of unpopular ones, the one hit wonders, those who believed their own hype and failed on the way.

I hope that you are right about Ed Sheeran for his sake but at least he has made his money now and hopefully invested a lot for his future.

he'll be alright. quite a down to earth guy

As a self confessed BOF I have to say I do actually like quite a lot of today's stuff.
I just like, for my own amusement, to post something like 'first name WHO' just to read the almost instant responses from some of the younger posters who immediately jump on my post extolling the greatness and exceptional talents of of their favourite singers.
My dad used to do to me when I was younger and was always amused at my defence of the 'pop stars' of my day until I realised what he was doing.
 My dad has gone now, long time ago, so I'm just getting my own back and having my own wee chuckle at some of the responses.
Try not to take life and pop stars so seriously lads, some day, and sooner than you might believe you will be the BOFs .
To be honest I used to think Trans was a young whipersnapper disco singing whirling dervish. 
:stoner:  

Truth be known I much prefer a lot of older music and personally think Ed and his ginger beard are a pain in the ass, the bloke gets everywhere in his lego house.

34 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

Truth be known I much prefer a lot of older music and personally think Ed and his ginger beard are a pain in the ass, the bloke gets everywhere in his lego house.

Just please don't start on those Pat Boon, or was it Boone? romantic ballads.

??????

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Didn't John Lennon say in 1964 that they only had a few years left.

40 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Didn't John Lennon say in 1964 that they only had a few years left.

I would say that in '64 no videos or youtube exposure of many pop singers hadn't even been thought about. 

The listening audience were limited to radio or half hour shows on tv, usually dubbed, so people bought the 45's or LP's.

Good artists or bad artists now can spend a week or a month making a video in a studio that will be impressive so CD's/etc will sell.

Only the very good will be able to do it live and produce a live act as good as the recorded/enhanced production.

I would also venture many today make most of their money via sponsorship of their concerts.

Of course exeptions exist although even one of my favourites, Pink Floyd weren't perfect on stage.

Santana live were really good because they just conveyed a rawness, can't think of another better word, on stage.

Tina Turner was really good live, Chris Rhea also.

Zuchero is another.

Anyway I hope you get my drift.

PS.

If you haven't seen it try Blue Man Band. The Complex Tour Live.

Edited by overherebc