generic imiquimod

janclaes47

I found an archived thread about this topic, so can't reply to it any more.

Is generic imiquimod available in Thailand now, and if not, what prices we are talking about?

In the archived thread was first stated that it was prescription only, but later was said no prescription needed, so what's the current status?

Aldara is the only available brand listed for Thailand by MIMS and it does not require prescription - but is/was very expensive (have no current knowledge - and was not too happy with results).  Was told to reuse each pouch until gone rather than open new each time (but still very expensive).  

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Aldara is the only available brand listed for Thailand by MIMS and it does not require prescription - but is/was very expensive (have no current knowledge - and was not too happy with results).  Was told to reuse each pouch until gone rather than open new each time (but still very expensive).  

I found elsewhere a quote of 2100 Baht for 12 pouches, but that was from an online source and from 2014.

Do you think a government hospital will have it and will it be cheaper? I know if I get antibiotics prescribed at my government hospital it's much cheaper than I can buy it at Fascino.

How many applications would 1 pouch account for, as I have only about 1 sq/cm of area that needs applied.

Edit : It's even less than 1 sq/cm

Believe I could get 3 to 6 applications for very small areas (it varied a lot as sometimes came out well and other times not so well) when I used it (reason for use was hospital did not have liquid nitrogen available for treatment).  Seems as though I was paying hundreds of baht per pouch, treatment was long and results were iffy at best.  

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Believe I could get 3 to 6 applications for very small areas (it varied a lot as sometimes came out well and other times not so well) when I used it (reason for use was hospital did not have liquid nitrogen available for treatment).  Seems as though I was paying hundreds of baht per pouch, treatment was long and results were iffy at best.  

Do you suggest that liquid nitrogen would be a more economic solution?

Is liquid nitrogen still hard to get or can the major government hospitals apply it these days?

I assume that if i have to get it at a private hospital the price for the treatment will be higher that 2100 Baht.

Skin cancer is not a prime concern for Thai so most treatment is cosmetic - and nitrogen is not what most would want - laser is normal.  My doctor advised me she would be using nitrogen if available but hospital would not purchase.  At a previous private hospital in same area of Bangkok had to go to Bumrungrad to obtain treatment (although same doctor worked at other hospital).  So best to ask up front if available - some places have - others do not.  My current hospital does have.  And be proactive as most Thai doctors will not believe it is skin cancer until a positive biopsy report.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Skin cancer is not a prime concern for Thai so most treatment is cosmetic - and nitrogen is not what most would want - laser is normal.  My doctor advised me she would be using nitrogen if available but hospital would not purchase.  At a previous private hospital in same area of Bangkok had to go to Bumrungrad to obtain treatment (although same doctor worked at other hospital).  So best to ask up front if available - some places have - others do not.  My current hospital does have.  And be proactive as most Thai doctors will not believe it is skin cancer until a positive biopsy report.

Thanks for all the info, I will consult with my government hospital if they have, and if not if they can advise where to go.

Aesthetic is no concern for me since it is an area that is always covered.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Do you suggest that liquid nitrogen would be a more economic solution?

Is liquid nitrogen still hard to get or can the major government hospitals apply it these days?

I assume that if i have to get it at a private hospital the price for the treatment will be higher that 2100 Baht.

If you are in Bangkok, Dr. Parichart at St Louis Hospital (private but non profit) has liquid niotrogen.

I had large areas treated by her (for a different type of keratosis) and it was under 2,000 baht , using uop most of a can, though this was some years back.

Given how long you would likely have to use Aldara and the uncertainty of results this is indeed almost certainly a more economical approach.

Archived