Internal Travel

Flying Kiwi

On 11/20/2017 at 5:00 PM, Kinnock said:

Always carried my passport when taking domestic flights - the Thai ID is OK for Thai's, but as soon as the airline officials see a foreign face, they will expect a passport.  You'll also need it for hotel check in

Me, I always take my passport with me when I travel in Thailand, but I always show and use my Thai driver license for checking and boarding. Never had any problems in 10 years.   But to check-in in hotels better have your passport to avoid problems.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Get your facts straight.. This is what he said..

Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000-baht fine. ... He said tourists would not have to carry their original passports and expats could use a Thai driving license if they have one, and a photocopy of their passport as a form of identification.Oct 6, 2014

Thank you for that little gem :) There have been many updates on that rather ambiguous statement since, but cannot be effed to look for them. "You may get a fine, but you don't have to carry the original!" Only in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

that would suck if u left ur passport at home

One reason I never go on a trip without it. Too easy to bring. Last thing I want is to deal with the local police while on a trip. I even bring it to Bangkok. I know several who've ended up paying a few thousand baht when caught out by a rogue cop. Sukhumvit is a prime area for that.

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Just flew AA yesterday. Passport required. Thai ID was not accepted. Though I have flown before with an ID only.

I flew Thai Air Asia from DMK to CNX only last week, was asked at Security to have my passport & boarding-pass ready to show, however they were perfectly happy with my Thai-DL & boarding-pass, as were TAA at-the-gate.  Perhaps they just said  "passport"  because I am a farang, and they assumed I'd have one with me ?

Indeed I doubt all of the Thais on the flight even had passports, many don't even now that "everybody can fly", unless they go overseas, just some sort of official photo-ID should do, and did for me (both ways).

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Follow the news and you'll read reports of foreigners having their documents checked. Sometimes on Sukhumvit in Bangkok. Normally a fine on the spot gets you off. Or at a bar. No passport can result in you being taken to the police station.

Follow the news.

Luckily I have a couple of friends who have lived here for 10 and over 20 years. I follow their advice and never had a problem and never carry a passport and I have had interactions with police while driving and walking Sukhumvit. Maybe I am lucky. But as one friend told me if you want to worry and be paranoid keep reading Thai visa.  After you have been here for a while you will realize myth from fact and a lot of good information on TV from a lot of good guys but a good percentage of myth and guys who remind you of the TV show where every day is a risk that does not exist in reality. Take care my friend. If I get “caught” without a passport I won’t die I will be ok and I want lose my passport while out drinking or exercising or driving to Khon Kaen.  So far so good. I am not worried about the cops or army or politics or driving or bar girls or all the other life threatening things in paradise Thailand. If I was to worry I would worry more about the expats than the Thais men and women I have met. Peace 

Edited by Wake Up

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

I flew Thai Air Asia from DMK to CNX only last week, was asked at Security to have my passport & boarding-pass ready to show, however they were perfectly happy with my Thai-DL & boarding-pass, as were TAA at-the-gate.  Perhaps they just said  "passport"  because I am a farang, and they assumed I'd have one with me ?

Indeed I doubt all of the Thais on the flight even had passports, many don't even now that "everybody can fly", unless they go overseas, just some sort of official photo-ID should do, and did for me (both ways).

Thais don't need passports for domestic flights but HAVE to have their id on them at all times.

11 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Luckily I have a couple of friends who have lived here for 10 and over 20 years. I follow their advice and never had a problem and never carry a passport and I have had interactions with police while driving and walking Sukhumvit. Maybe I am lucky. But as one friend told me if you want to worry and be paranoid keep reading Thai visa.  After you have been here for a while you will realize myth from fact and a lot of good information on TV from a lot of good guys but a good percentage of myth and guys who remind you of the TV show where every day is a risk that does not exist in reality. Take care my friend. If I get “caught” without a passport I won’t die I will be ok and I want lose my passport while out drinking or exercising or driving to Khon Kaen.  So far so good. I am not worried about the cops or army or politics or driving or bar girls or all the other life threatening things in paradise Thailand. If I was to worry I would worry more about the expats than the Thais men and women I have met. Peace 

I've never had a problem either. But know quite a few who have. It's rare, but does happen. Bring your passport with you and you'll never have to worry.  I never do.

18 hours ago, wcoast said:

I fly everywhere within Thailand using my Thai dl, and use it to check-in hotels as well, it has your passport number on it.
That said, it's very good advice to keep your passport with you as well if your going across the country.
Plan B is to have photocopies of your passport Visa page and first page with you.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

This has been the recommendation I have most often seen.

22 hours ago, jobwolf said:

You will not be allowed on the plane without a passport.

Internationally obviously I fly domestically on a regular basis and show the Thai ID card never been a problem

Have a laminated copy of passport and retirement extension only once asked to show by police and they had no problem

Maybe lucky or I don’t look suspicious

All domestic flights in Thailand require you to be able to identify yourself with the boarding pass. There are many checkpoints where you need to do this.

Apart from that, according to Thai law, all foreigners in Thailand must carry their passport with them and be able to produce it upon request by authorities.