Activists petition DSI, premier in Akara gold mine case

snoop1130

Activists petition DSI, premier in Akara gold mine case

By The Nation

3eee6c6f83439d712c9bc610cd3d8e9d.jpeg

File photo: Akara Resources gold mine

Anti-gold-mining activists on Monday submitted a petition to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), urging the agency to accelerate the investigation and prosecution of Akara Resources in regard to the case of allegedly unlawful use of public land and a public road for its mining operations.

The activists, along with locals affected by the company’s gold mine in Phetchabun and Phichit provinces, visited DSI headquarters to monitor the progress of the DSI investigation into the Chatree gold mine and urged the agency to hasten its operations in the case, as well as to accept an alleged change to Akara’s gold-mining project plan as a new special case.

Wanpen Phromrangsan, an activist from Saraburi, emphasised that the DSI case could be the government’s trump card in the international arbitration proceedings pursued by Kingsgate Consolidated Limited, the Australian parent of Akara Resources.

On November 3, Kingsgate Consolidated announced the commencement of such proceedings against Thailand on the allegation that the government had violated the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement by issuing a closure order for the Chatree mine. 

Wanpen cautioned that if the case were delayed, it would be to the Kingdom’s detriment.

She said that earlier on Monday morning the group had also submitted a petition to the prime minister to set up a special committee to monitor and accelerate the operations of the DSI and the Office of the National Anti-Corruption Commission in the corruption case against Akara Resources.

DSI spokesman Pol Maj-General Woranan Srilam commented that the DSI had accepted the matter as a special case in March 2016, and had since been continually investigating the alleged wrongdoings of the mining company.

However, he stressed that the case was very sensitive, as its outcome would have a great impact at the international level, hence the investigating officers had to be very careful in how they proceeded.

That said, it is expected that the investigation can be concluded by the end of March next year, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332109

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-20

Get the locals involved!.....Of course, and now an attempt by the locals (government sponsored no doubt) to raise the issue now of illegal land use by Akara.

The current admin have bungled badly....attempts by Wissanu today to water the whole thing down will not save their arse here....Kingsgate are very determined and rightly so!

It is difficult to know in opaque Thailand if these activists are real environmentalists or if they are a proxy group funded by someone in the shadows who wishes to see the mine change owners.

Following a change in government in Thailand, it is common for concessaires to be pushed aside.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

case of allegedly unlawful use of public land and a public road for its mining operations

Unlawful by whom - the Kingdom of Thailand?

Thailand provided legal use for the mining operations under the Australia-Thailand Free Trade Agreement and the resultant operating license.

If Prayut now claims such use was illegal, that just gives Kingsgate another cause for compensation before the Arbitration Tribunal. Prayut has no authority to take case to Thai courts, even with Article 44 to manipulate a favorable outcome.

The Activists need to understand that Prayut gave up part of Thailand's sovereignty with the ATFTA. That's not a pleasant reality from the military pledged to protect the sovereignty of the Kingdom.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Yep great plan.  The matter is before international arbitration and these numnuts want to accelerate a local prosecution against the company.  Let's pass the gun around and shoot ourselves in the foot.

Fair enough, and you're probably quite right.

After some uncomplimentary press coverage over the past few weeks, I suspect this action has been sponsored by the government to distract from what is alleged to be their treaty-breaching behaviour. What Prayuth did was probably legal under the provisions of section 44, but without a doubt breached international treaties which are not mitigated by subsequent local laws. Methinks that nice Mr Prayuth is pooping his pants after seeking compensation from Yingluck - same same here.

I hope the government is looking closely at how the case involving the construction of the Don Muang expressway ended. It was an embarrassing and costly exercise for Thailand. This case by Kingsgate will likely go the same way. It sends a very negative message to foreign investors. Thailand will simply continue to get revenue from low-end tourism - not a very sustainable strategy but what else do we expect from Thailand? The country will never move forward until good governance is implemented. Don't hold your breath.

By all means let the Australian company continue to pollute and poison the surrounding communities 

I recall reading about both US senators in Arizona selling out sacred apache reservation land to another Australian mining company. One of the senators, (Flake, I think) was actually a lobbyist for the mining company before being elected. 

Kill off the entire world in the pursuit of wealth for the few. 

2 minutes ago, candide said:

I guess these "activists" will not be arrested for causing unrest nor charged with defamation.... :wink:

The first defense against defamation charges are that the "defamitory" allegations are actually true. 

59 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

By all means let the Australian company continue to pollute and poison the surrounding communities 

I recall reading about both US senators in Arizona selling out sacred apache reservation land to another Australian mining company. One of the senators, (Flake, I think) was actually a lobbyist for the mining company before being elected. 

Kill off the entire world in the pursuit of wealth for the few. 

Agree with you in principle, but you should read more about the whole story. This case is fishy, involving an attempt by a well-connected Thai tycoon to take control of the company. No information can be trusted here. Therefore, the various comments in this thread, from people who don't particularly favour pollution.

https://thewest.com.au/business/finance/thai-tycoon-launches-bid-for-kingsgate-ng-ya-118478

Edited by candide

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

The first defense against defamation charges are that the "defamitory" allegations are actually true. 

As I understand it, this is not the case in Thailand, where libel and defamation laws are there primarily to protect the interests of the few. Truth is no defence in Thailand, though, of course it's one of the many things that ought to be. Living in the third world has many advantages but living under enlightened governments and living among intelligent people are not among them.