Motorcycle traffic cop dead after collision with truck on Bangkok expressway

webfact

Motorcycle traffic cop dead after collision with truck on Bangkok expressway

3pm.jpg.918c1df338a9aa4a2c89821ef828fa50.jpg

Picture: Daily News

An on duty motorcycle traffic cop was pronounced dead at the scene after he collided with the back of a large truck on the Ram Intra - At Narong section of the Bangkok expressway.

Police found 47 year old Phadet Phulonkaew still on his CBR 300. His helmet had come off and he hit the tarmac breaking his neck.

Phadet was on duty from midnight to 6am. Witnesses said it happened on a dark section of the road. They believed the truck was braking for the Lat Prao exit some 300 meters ahead when the cop went into the back of it.

There were ten meter long skid marks on the road.

Police are examining CCTV to find out about the truck and driver that did not stop.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-21

1 hour ago, johncat1 said:

His  helmet came off ?     Like most motorcycle cops I doubt it was even fastened . Obviously could not handle a powerful bike 

I personally don't consider a CBR300 a powerful bike for Expressway duties, however saying that, i guess the end result would be the same if he was riding a smaller or bigger bike. The human neck will almost always come off second best in such collisions .

4 hours ago, johncat1 said:

His  helmet came off ?     Like most motorcycle cops I doubt it was even fastened . Obviously could not handle a powerful bike 

Although there are many people who don't even wear helmets in Thailand, the Royal Thai Police on 300cc motorcycles are perhaps the only police who actually wear them.

I say bullsh*t towards your claim unless you can prove otherwise.

There's enough bullsh*t in this world, it really doesn't need any more.

1 hour ago, alant said:

The cop must have been approaching pretty fast, I thought motorcycles were not allowed on that class of road. Not sure though.

Traffic police are often seen on tollways, expressways on official police bikes.

The suspicion certainly falls on the policeman for causing the accident by riding into the back of the truck. However, I have encountered many trucks either whose lights are faulty or whose rear is so covered in diesel soot and dust that the lights are obscured.

The helmet coming off is just ridiculous. Carelessness or bad decision making when putting it on or very bad design.

The carnage will continue.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Traffic police are often seen on tollways, expressways on official police bikes.

The suspicion certainly falls on the policeman for causing the accident by riding into the back of the truck. However, I have encountered many trucks either whose lights are faulty or whose rear is so covered in diesel soot and dust that the lights are obscured.

The helmet coming off is just ridiculous. Carelessness or bad decision making when putting it on or very bad design.

The carnage will continue.

Agree Briggsy on all points. Interesting though how the law doesn't apply to the police on where a bike can be ridden. Shame the chap died mind you.

Why does Thailand not enforce the use of working and visible lights

Particularly on busy roads at night.  Sukhumvit Pattaya has great stretches of non-working road lights which coupled with the number of motor-bikes without lights + total absence of police after dark = daily deaths.
Local authorities should be sued by victims of this cost-cutting exercise.

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

Why does Thailand not enforce the use of working and visible lights

They can't be bothered.

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Sukhumvit Pattaya has great stretches of non-working road lights

Yes, it is a third world country.

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

coupled with the number of motor-bikes without lights

The riders can't be bothered and see it as an unnecessary expense and effort. The police can't be bothered.

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

total absence of police after dark

For the third time, the police can't be bothered. They work on a pay-for-play basis. Night time traffic work is checkpoints. Even then non-working tail lights fall into the can't be bothered category.

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Local authorities should be sued

Wrong country.