Box Metal,how to prime.

chiangrai

If you have an air compressor, get a cheap spray gun, use thinner with that red oxide primer & go to town on that steel. A benefit to spraying vs brushes/rollers is you could get a little more coverage on the inside ends.

Of course you'd want a quality mask, suit up like you're welding & do it in an open area. Nasty stuff & it gets everywhere.

On 11/22/2017 at 2:32 PM, stubuzz said:

Red oxide primer is old fashioned and probably contains lead. Newer acrylic or 2 pack based primers should be used after thoroughly cleaning the metal. However,

If you want better protection, use a zinc based primer that can be welded over.

Thailand must be one of the last places in the world to use red lead, its archaic and basically crap! much better products about as stated above.

Note it is a "primer" you are supposed to put on a top coat/sealing coat on top of a primer! primer is porous, top coat seals! :shock1:

28 minutes ago, CGW said:

Thailand must be one of the last places in the world to use red lead, its archaic and basically crap! much better products about as stated above.

Note it is a "primer" you are supposed to put on a top coat/sealing coat on top of a primer! primer is porous, top coat seals! :shock1:

We used to paint ships with it.

I just use red oxide primer, and a brush. The solvents in the primer astir up the old engine oil they appear to coat the metal with and when it all dries problem gone. The Thai boys (and me with my mig and inverter welders) just weld through the paint which burns away anyway. Then touch up the welds and paint the work.

Those paints sold here using AAA thinners are more like synthetic spray paints in the UK and dry very quickly. In the UK there would be a ban on selling them because of fumes no doubt - mustn't offend the snowflakes, but here they are great because they suit the Thai style. The solvents lift all the filth an mix it with the paint that dries almost instantly, even the red oxide which is notoriously slow to dry dries quickly. Those AAA thinners and matching paints are the "bees knees" after years of Dulux type slow drying paints attracting all the dust and insects.

The climate here really helps too, I've  primed, given 1 undercoat and two top coats to a wooden outside door I needed back on again for security (I had it on the bench to shoot it in) starting around 10.00am and was able to pick it up and hang it by the evening.

In the UK that operation at one coat a day plus two days to harden would have meant the door was on trestles for a week! Metal railings I made here (primed over oil) were painted twice in the same day and the paint is still on two years later so far! The rules are different (and often better) here!