Box Metal,how to prime.

chiangrai

I ordered some of lengths of box metal and have a welder coming soon

to put a little loft bed above the living room.

I was thinking that I would get him to do the job and then sand and prime the

metal myself.

But they just arrived and are covered in oil.The welder was saying to prime the

metal before he comes so they wouldn't get their hands and the living room dirty

when they were working.

I didn't know what he was talking about until I saw the metal arrive.

Is that what I should,prime the metal before it goes in the house.

Is that what the Thais do.

Is that what we do in the west.

just get some  paint thinner/petrol   plenty of old rag  wash off all oil/contaminants  give a final wipe over with   moistened cloth  and you will end up with surface  good for primer

when the job is finished  clean again and apply more primer on the welded/burnt areas

no hints on how the Thais would do

That's what the Thai guy said.He said" I should prime them first so he wouldn't leave dirty hand prints all over the place".

I didn't know what he was talking about because I didn't know that the metal would be oiled.

I bought lots of metal before and it was never covered in oil.

Would it not be better to buy metal that didn't have oil.

Does any one know why this batch was covered in oil

and what would happen if I just put the primer down on the oil.

The purists are going to kill me but ...

The steel we got for car port etc came with a fine coat of oil (yes it leaves your paws black). To my (initial) horror the workers applied one of the red-oxide primers using small rollers directly on to the unprepared surface. The primer adhered well (I assume because it's solvent based), some years later no sign of rust and no paint flaking.

Later when we built the chicken palace I did the same, with the same results.

Fetching my coat ...

2 hours ago, chiangrai said:

It's against my religion but I'm still going to put the primer on top of the oil.

Can't say I blame you, do use one of those baby rollers and bung on a couple of thin coats. The primer dries very quickly so the task shouldn't take too long.

Red oxide primer is old fashioned and probably contains lead. Newer acrylic or 2 pack based primers should be used after thoroughly cleaning the metal. However,

If you want better protection, use a zinc based primer that can be welded over.

11 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

Just met the Thai welder.He says you have to wipe it with a dry cloth first or the primer wont stick.

At least that's easier than cleaning with solvents.

I will say that the steel we get has a very fine coating of oil, hardly dripping off, I doubt I could actually remove much with a cloth or kitchen towel, cheap red-oxide (probably lead based) just worked.

The grease is to protect the steel from rusting when it is stored in their yard. Provided you have plenty of rags , giving the steel a wipe down before priming is not so difficult. If you really have a lot of steal just do the wiping one day and the priming the next.

Have to say I have never seen pre primed steal anywhere. If the poster who suggested buying it could let us know where it is available might be a better option......if it does indeed exist.

One other thing is that if the steal is used outside, it could rust from the inside out as nobody primes the inside

( how on earth would you ? ) I mention this as during flooding our steal fence was under water and began to slowly rust from the untreated inner surface.

34 minutes ago, Denim said:

Have to say I have never seen pre primed steal anywhere. If the poster who suggested buying it could let us know where it is available might be a better option......if it does indeed exist.

The building supply place in the small town near where I live, Takfa, sells pre-primed steel.  That's where I bought mine 19 years ago when I built my house.  They only have the steel that's normally used for building construction, "C" sections, "D": sections angles and such.  It is primed with the light grey primer.  They have it un-primed and they also sell galvanized round sections.

If I buy smaller steel for other projects such as gates, etc. I can buy any length cut to order at the local welding shop.  It is not primed and is coated with a light film of oil.  I also can buy the smaller steel at the steel supply shop which will cut it to order, but you have to buy the entire piece, 4 or 6 meters depending on what you buy.   I usually cut it and weld it before finishing, priming and painting it. They also sell galvanized but not the "C" and "D" sections used for construction. 

2 hours ago, Denim said:

One other thing is that if the steal is used outside, it could rust from the inside out as nobody primes the inside

( how on earth would you ? ) I mention this as during flooding our steal fence was under water and began to slowly rust from the untreated inner surface.

Cavity wax can be used on the inside.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Dunno. I always primed without cleaning (because that's what the neighbour does) and I never noticed any problems with non-adherence.

Same here - just painted over the oil.

Thought about cleaning off the oil first (like one should !) but seemed like a lot of work and nobody else seemed to bother so just primed over the top - still good after several years.

3 hours ago, Denim said:

The grease is to protect the steel from rusting when it is stored in their yard. Provided you have plenty of rags , giving the steel a wipe down before priming is not so difficult. If you really have a lot of steal just do the wiping one day and the priming the next.

Yes...it is available, and becoming more common as time goes by....mostly it's sheets that are primed at present around here.

Edited by weegee

20 minutes ago, weegee said:

Yes...it is available, and becoming more common as time goes by....mostly it's sheets that are primed at present around here.

Well....good news but unfortunately not seen any locally yet. You mention sheets but wht about box tubing ?

P_20171117_120405.jpg

14 hours ago, Denim said:

Well....good news but unfortunately not seen any locally yet. You mention sheets but wht about box tubing ?

P_20171117_120405.jpg

Yes....But it's the Galvanised stuff. Up to 3mm wall thickness.

You can also order to have it primed before delivery around here, but I dont know if thats available everywhere in Thailand.