USA lost PP ?

sanemax

Just now, RichCor said:

Ya know, while posting the name would be a bad idea, listing the City/State on the ID page of the PP holder, and where you found it might help. 

If he has lost his passport, them Im sure he knows which City/State he comes from , also, if he lost his PP , he probably wouldntknow where he lost it , so it would be pointless posting that as well

Best (if you're willing) would be to drop it off at the US Consulate.  Whoever lost it probably has already notified them (or will when he/she realizes it's lost) and the Consulate may have his/her telephone number if the holder enrolled in the STEP program. 

I think you're missing the whole point of posting this on a forum.  

The person who lost their passport may or may not be aware that they've lost it.

Might not even read ThaiVisa ...let alone the General Topics forum.

BUT, people in Chiang Mai who they have met or travel in the same circles with, and DO read ThaiVisa, might be motivated to ask such friend who they remember being told are originally from {City, State}, if they've lost their passport. Same goes for mentioning where it was found. Someone might remember and be motivated to ask around.

Or not.

Contacting the US Consulate would probably be more direct, as that's where this hapless person's next stop will most likely be.

7 hours ago, CMBob said:

Best (if you're willing) would be to drop it off at the US Consulate.  Whoever lost it probably has already notified them (or will when he/she realizes it's lost) and the Consulate may have his/her telephone number if the holder enrolled in the STEP program. 

Not sure that he would have notified the Consulate, after reading some of the posts on TV it would appear that it takes some people 7 or 8 years to notice that their PP is missing.

Just being captain obvious here, but why not just publish the person's name.  If it was mine, that's what I'd want?  Then people who do know me would also know, and the chances of me recovering it quickly would be significantly higher. Also, I'd hand it over to the US embassy and let them mess with identification verification once the owner comes forward.

13 hours ago, CMBob said:

I did that once when I found a passport and they gave me the 3rd degree over it.  And after that I think that they just destroyed the passport rather than trying to find it's owner.  

3 hours ago, connda said:

Just being captain obvious here, but why not just publish the person's name.  If it was mine, that's what I'd want?  Then people who do know me would also know, and the chances of me recovering it quickly would be significantly higher. Also, I'd hand it over to the US embassy and let them mess with identification verification once the owner comes forward.

It has been on FB for 12 or more hours. Also no name given. Only "found in Night Bazaar" and a photo of the front cover of the passport.

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

And after that I think that they just destroyed the passport rather than trying to find it's owner.  

You were thinking that?  Nice to know your "thinking" but perhaps it would be more helpful to actually have any information whatsoever as to what efforts the Consulate made.   

17 hours ago, CMBob said:

That should be the last thing you do. Best is what is being done now; put the word out on forums like this and most importantly, facebook.

That should be the last thing you do. Best is what is being done now; put the word out on forums like this and most importantly, facebook.

The US Consulate's main interest seems to be preventing loose passports from being used for fraudulent purposes, and if you return one to them they make you feel as if you need to prove that you didn't steal it.

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

You were thinking that?  Nice to know your "thinking" but perhaps it would be more helpful to actually have any information whatsoever as to what efforts the Consulate made.   

The Consulate is much more interested on preventing lost passports from being used for fraudulent purposes than in finding the owner of the passport.  Shredding the returned passport solves that, and then if the owner of the passport shows up at the Consulate they can just charge him for a new passport.

The Consulate will "look in their system" to see if the person who owns the passport is someone known to them, i.e. someone who has registered as living in Chiang Mai, someone who has already reported a lost passport, etc.  They don't automatically destroy a passport that's turned in without making at least a little effort to match it with the owner.  

And yes, they do want to know the circumstances under which it was found.  In some cases, if a person has a history of "losing" their passport they can be denied new passports.   There is the suspicion that the person is either selling their passport and/or is simply so incompetent that perhaps they shouldn't be traveling outside their home country.

Well, if I lost my passport the first thing I would do would report it to the embassy in case someone turns it in. btw, passports are the property of the govt, not you, so returning it to the embassy is returning it to its rightful owner. If you're afraid of questioning by the embassy, why did you pick it up? Its not a crime if  you picked it up and you're trying to help. Not everyone is on facebook or on the other social networks. By not returning it promptly to the police or the embassy, you're only going to draw more questions to yourself as to why you didn't....  

24 minutes ago, Rama said:

If you're afraid of questioning by the embassy, why did you pick it up? Its not a crime if  you picked it up and you're trying to help. .  

Why do you suggest that I would be afraid of questioning by the embassy ?

Why do you suggest that I would be afraid of questioning by the embassy ?

There's nothing to be afraid about but it makes you wonder what the point of it is. If I had stolen the passport I surely wouldn't have shown up at the Consulate. Maybe it would be better to mail it to them anomously.

Just now, suzannegoh said:

There's nothing to be afraid about but it makes you wonder what the point of it is. If I had stolen the passport I surely wouldn't have shown up at the Consulate.

Yes, it wouldnt make sense to steal a passport and then take to the Embassy for them to find its owner .

It would be a whole lot of a less hassle for everyone, if you just didnt steal that passport in the first place

Yes, it wouldnt make sense to steal a passport and then take to the Embassy for them to find its owner .

It would be a whole lot of a less hassle for everyone, if you just didnt steal that passport in the first place

How long ago did you find the passport? It seems like with each passing day it would become more likely that the guy already started the process of getting a new passport.

54 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

How long ago did you find the passport? It seems like with each passing day it would become more likely that the guy already started the process of getting a new passport.

Yes, he probably has, but it's still good for him to get the old passport to make it easier to transfer his immigration records and to go to the bank, etc, to change the passport number they have on file for him.  Someone should never dispose of old passports, but keep them since they tell a story about your movements around the world.

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

Its been handed in to the tourist Police

Archived