If you are stopped by traffic police @ Pattaya

thairookie

On 05.03.2018 at 9:39 AM, Chivas said:

Naive...never ever

Stopped multiple times when i stayed in issan for a culmative 12 months or so and 4 times when hired car in pattaya. At least 25 times all up.....in 24 occasions passport IDP plus home licence big smile and on my way.....the one time i didnt have the idp i got a ticket and whilst i bitched its was perfectly correctly issued

Obey the rules of the road and you'll have no problem

If you have repeated problems try looking at yourself first to rectify it

What wrong with you? I am from 2003 in Thailand by car more than 200,000 km and a motorcycle scooter over 100,000 km and do not have more than 20 times even may be 15 ask my DL:)

so I'm surprised that I stopped on a motorcycle for speeding.

On 04.03.2018 at 3:43 PM, KhunBENQ said:

And some foreigner don't know what sign says "no left turn on red" :whistling:

It was a cash machine at 2nd rd/central rd. for years until some killjoy added an English language sign :biggrin:

Same at 3rd rd. and Pattaya south.

Two other pitfalls:

On crossings with major roads that have a frontage road ("side road") you must never turn left onto the main road on red. Must be more than 15 years ago on holiday when I learned this for a fine.

For a long time there were signs on Pattaya south that meant no parking on even/odd days (alternate on both sides).

And guess: the text was in Thai only for long.

Also added English now.

I am know about sign's.

And had two tickets. One pay 0 just show photo street and ask where is had sign? So after canceled. And next time I not come pay ticket almost 1 month so get another ticket driving with out permit. Go to police office. And show photo street, and have design with police officer pay 200 per ticket.. Normally ask 1000 for red light and 500 for driving with out permit(DL). I guessed can fight for 0 payments. But do not want waste time. So pay 200 per ticket. Just say in case.

• Like 2

On a few occasions, I have tried arguing with the policeman. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. But on some occasions, the argument had some merit, and I went on and on and on. Finally the policeman asked me to leave! On other occasions, I have negotiated a reduction in the bribe amount. So, a little resistance can go a long way here. It is not like they are going to bring down the hammer on you, for doing so. Not like resisting the police in the US, which could get you killed, or increase the fine or penalty dramatically. I rarely go down without a fight. I think they deserve the resistance. It is not like they are engaging in traffic safety. They are simply working their franchises. 

This method only works if you have a proper Thai drivers license and are wearing a helmet, if on a bike. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Got pulled over last November with my english GF on the back, fortunately had my international licence with me, was polite and he let us on our way

years ago got busted for no helmet on a bike and had to get a taxi mpoed to the station, cough up (Think it was 500 or 800 baht) and take the reciept back to the bobby who was waiting with my bike

On 3/15/2018 at 10:35 AM, spidermike007 said:

On a few occasions, I have tried arguing with the policeman. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. But on some occasions, the argument had some merit, and I went on and on and on. Finally the policeman asked me to leave! On other occasions, I have negotiated a reduction in the bribe amount. So, a little resistance can go a long way here. It is not like they are going to bring down the hammer on you, for doing so. Not like resisting the police in the US, which could get you killed, or increase the fine or penalty dramatically. I rarely go down without a fight. I think they deserve the resistance. It is not like they are engaging in traffic safety. They are simply working their franchises. 

This method only works if you have a proper Thai drivers license and are wearing a helmet, if on a bike. 

I didn't even have to argue one morning, around 2 AM when the traffic stop somewhere south of Korat suggested the potted plants that I was transporting in the back of the pickup were 'too high'. I thought about waiting for one of those custom built, high-top pickups to pass and challenge his 'law'. You know, the ones that ply the highways at night, ferrying lord knows what to the provinces? All well OTT on the height spec and higher than my modest and well secured shrubbery.  Then, realizing that this would not ever be a win-win situation as he was the senior cop, I asked him 'How much?' and he asked for the usual 'See-loy.' I only had one, crisp, new thousand baht note so I asked him if he could make change? "Bpy loei!" he shouted and waived me away.

I still wonder how on earth he knew I was headed for Loei?

• Haha 1