What are these exercise bikes like?

akirasan

Can anyone give me any feedback on this exercise bike or recommend something similar?  

I have to start doing some cardio and I hate running (and being chased by dogs)

Photo wouldn't upload, can see the bike here:

https://www.lazada.co.th/hhsociety-ex-spinning-bike-816923.html?spm=a2o4m.prod.0.0.51861c7ccrZD43&sc=EfsY

Looks sturdy to me ..... I do a lot of road cycling .. and a fair bit of trading on a static bike similar to the one in the photo .... One day you might consider getting out on a bike as well ... Good luck with your training .. Get a good pair of headphones or have a TV in front or you might die of boredom!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 11/26/2017 at 11:12 PM, akirasan said:

Thanks for your good advice.  I considered your points and ordered a mountain bike off lazada instead.  Really looking forward to trying it out.

Good idea ... Just remember not to reward yourself with a pint after each ride ! :-) ...  go easy on the food as well ...

Simply put ... you want to loose weight ... Change what you eat .. you want to improve your cardio .. do the exercise ... and NO sugar .. the white killer .. :-)

I am no fitness freak .. but 5 years ago I was pushing 125kg and ultimate couch potato BP climbing and Type 2 Diabetes looming around the corner  .. now I am 80kg ... and into road cycling ...

Change what you eat .. and burn some rubber on your bicycle .. Oh .. if you live in a Condo .. forget the elevator ... and walk up the stairs !  I call that free exercise :-) ...

Good luck !! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28-11-2017 at 7:00 PM, adammike said:

Passed a gym yesterday and saw a guy peddling away on a static, head buried in his phone,I thought to myself you are paying for that,I was in the middle of a free 10km free walk,

To each his or her own, some like static things more then free walks. I prefer to do a static over a free all the time. Can control variables more but prefer lifting and complexes over cardio anytime. But as long as that guy keeps things up and you do too then its good. We all need to find something we can keep on doing. 

On 11/28/2017 at 7:00 PM, adammike said:

Passed a gym yesterday and saw a guy peddling away on a static, head buried in his phone,I thought to myself you are paying for that,I was in the middle of a free 10km free walk,

I don't care what people do to improve their fitness. I commend anyone's effort to improve their physical fitness. I don't care if that's going for a slow walk outside (for free) or riding an exercise bike inside a gym with a cellphone in hand. As Rob says above, the most important thing is finding something you will keep on doing. Don't knock people's exercise choice. 

Having said that, I'd prefer to cycle in a gym over breathing fumes while walking along the roadside. If you want to walk for fitness, you should get down to a park away from motorized vehicles.

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2017 at 3:37 AM, tropo said:

I don't care what people do to improve their fitness. I commend anyone's effort to improve their physical fitness. I don't care if that's going for a slow walk outside (for free) or riding an exercise bike inside a gym with a cellphone in hand. As Rob says above, the most important thing is finding something you will keep on doing. Don't knock people's exercise choice. 

Having said that, I'd prefer to cycle in a gym over breathing fumes while walking along the roadside. If you want to walk for fitness, you should get down to a park away from motorized vehicles.

I mostly walk along the Dike where I live in North Holland zero traffic , that day I made a detour into town to pick up some vitamins and it was a lovely winters day.In Jomtien now for 10 days still trying to acclimatise, sweating a lot and only one beer with my dinner,aging is a bitch. 

2 hours ago, jane nair said:

As you hate running I will suggest you choose a stationary bike for cardio exercise.

A half hour on a stationary bicycle helps up your daily calorie burn.
 A stationary cycle enables you to get your heart pumping without putting undue stress on your joints
Riding a stationary bicycle count as cardiovascular exercise. Regular cardio exercise helps lower high blood pressure, regulates blood sugar and may prevent heart attacks, especially if you've already suffered from one.
Gradually work up to longer rides if 150 minutes per week is too much to start with. Although riding a stationary bicycle is an effective cardiovascular activity, consider cross-training with another activity once or twice per week to challenge different muscles and prevent burn out.

People think that biking (exercycling, stationary biking) is easy on the joints, but this is not necessarily true. I've spent most of my young years dedicated to cycling, but now it's hell on my knees. You wouldn't think so as it seems to be a smooth movement. My theory is that it's an unnatural movement. There's no natural human movement that resembles cycling.

On 24-1-2018 at 1:29 PM, adammike said:

I mostly walk along the Dike where I live in North Holland zero traffic , that day I made a detour into town to pick up some vitamins and it was a lovely winters day.In Jomtien now for 10 days still trying to acclimatise, sweating a lot and only one beer with my dinner,aging is a bitch. 

Where in North Holland, i used to live in De Goorn, close to Hoorn and the Beemster.  I almost always sweat in Thailand but its a lot less this time of year.

I never knock on other people who exercise because I admire people who do something and stick to it even if its just walking or biking in a gym. Like Tropo said its really about consistency. I lift weights and for some reason that suits me. I do try to get my cardio in but its the first to fail if I am bored. But the weightlifting seems to always stay. 

I am going to be a bit more scientific about it and changing it up more because I read everywhere that one should change around every 10 weeks if you want to progress. I don't progress much anymore but have accepted that after years of lifting.

As for aging... yes its a bitch but it beats the alternative.

On 1/24/2018 at 4:30 PM, tropo said:

People think that biking (exercycling, stationary biking) is easy on the joints, but this is not necessarily true. I've spent most of my young years dedicated to cycling, but now it's hell on my knees. You wouldn't think so as it seems to be a smooth movement. My theory is that it's an unnatural movement. There's no natural human movement that resembles cycling.

I'm currently recovering from a hip replacement.  I was able to cycle right up until the operation, even though I could hardly walk, and suffered severe pain doing so.

I think Cycling is hard on your knees because you put a lot of effort through your knees with them bent.  When you're walking, your knees are more or less just carrying the weight.  Cycling is more like climbing stairs than walking.

Personally, I like cycling because you get out and about, and having a destination makes it more interesting.  And you get to the pub much quicker than on a gym-trainer.

5a718134e301c_image1a(2).jpeg.854e963da555adff9e0f52f487963058.jpeg

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I'm currently recovering from a hip replacement.  I was able to cycle right up until the operation, even though I could hardly walk, and suffered severe pain doing so.

I think Cycling is hard on your knees because you put a lot of effort through your knees with them bent.  When you're walking, your knees are more or less just carrying the weight.  Cycling is more like climbing stairs than walking.

Personally, I like cycling because you get out and about, and having a destination makes it more interesting.  And you get to the pub much quicker than on a gym-trainer.

5a718134e301c_image1a(2).jpeg.854e963da555adff9e0f52f487963058.jpeg

That's an intriguing theory. You may be right. You'll see a lot of information about how cycling is easy on the joints and one of the best types of cardio exercise. Stress on the backside and crotch area is no fun either, and the back is in the flexed position while the muscles don't get any useful exercise. I think as well as being hard on the knees it's bad for the posture. They brought out the recumbent bike to resolve back issues, but I could never get a good workout on one. It just doesn't feel right.

Apparently a good bike fit makes a big difference.

I'm told that the padded lycra shorts help with the stress on the backside and crotch, 

Personally, I just like being out in the summer sun and the fresh air, and the traffic, and seeing the countryside and the city.

SC

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Apparently a good bike fit makes a big difference.

I'm told that the padded lycra shorts help with the stress on the backside and crotch, 

Personally, I just like being out in the summer sun and the fresh air, and the traffic, and seeing the countryside and the city.

SC

Back in Oz I used to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air, but here I stay out of the intense tropical sun. At year-round shaded room temps of around 30C (plus or minus a few degrees), I no longer enjoy being in the direct sunshine. I prefer to do all my exercise in an air-conditioned environment where I can work more intensely. I don't exercise for enjoyment anyway - I've always treated it like a job. It's serious business. 

I'm thinking of trying some biking again later this year when I purchase one of the new Concept2 BikeErgs. I already have the Concept2 Rower and SkiErg, so I'll add that to the mix. If it doesn't work out (I get sore knees), I'll sell it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2017 at 10:00 PM, adammike said:

True. I had an exercise bike i got on sale. Was boring. Of course you can watch tv but natural scenary is better.

9 hours ago, Justfine said:

True. I had an exercise bike i got on sale. Was boring. Of course you can watch tv but natural scenary is better.

For me, the actual benefit I'm getting for the time I'm working out is more important than the scenery. That happens to be some intense work on a SkiErg or Rowing machine in my home. That's a lot shorter than a scenic walk in the park. There is no way to get around boredom from the daily chore of exercise. Eventually, it will become tedious.

I get around the tedium by setting session goals and working hard to achieve them. I'm working so hard I don't get bored. Try it! Push your heart rate to 90% of your maximum or higher for a period of time, then slow down and repeat. You won't have time to think about "bored". You'll only be thinking about what you're doing.

Long slow cardio is the boring type of exercise as it goes on for so long.I have a park at my doorstep, but much prefer training at home, with my choice of music, hours and climate control. I can only watch TV if I'm doing an easy slow cardio session. When I'm working hard I can't concentrate on the TV. I do easy sessions too. I mix them up.

You say you are selling your exercise bike. You've also mentioned you find rowing boring. You're hard to please. I can't think of one single exercise more beneficial overall than rowing.

A lot of people say you must enjoy exercise or you won't stick with it. LOL> I've been at it for over 4 decades and I never enjoy it. I treat it as a serious job. Ask yourself - do you enjoy brushing your teeth every day? Of course not - but you do it. If you develop a work mentality in your physical training you won't stop, even if you no longer enjoy it.

Please don't get confused between the "high" or good feeling you may experience once you've completed your workout with the hard work you actually do. That's a task. The good feeling is a reward for your hard work. Think of it like a job which you get paid for when the work is completed.

14 hours ago, tropo said:

For me, the actual benefit I'm getting for the time I'm working out is more important than the scenery. That happens to be some intense work on a SkiErg or Rowing machine in my home. That's a lot shorter than a scenic walk in the park. There is no way to get around boredom from the daily chore of exercise. Eventually, it will become tedious.

I get around the tedium by setting session goals and working hard to achieve them. I'm working so hard I don't get bored. Try it! Push your heart rate to 90% of your maximum or higher for a period of time, then slow down and repeat. You won't have time to think about "bored". You'll only be thinking about what you're doing.

Long slow cardio is the boring type of exercise as it goes on for so long.I have a park at my doorstep, but much prefer training at home, with my choice of music, hours and climate control. I can only watch TV if I'm doing an easy slow cardio session. When I'm working hard I can't concentrate on the TV. I do easy sessions too. I mix them up.

You say you are selling your exercise bike. You've also mentioned you find rowing boring. You're hard to please. I can't think of one single exercise more beneficial overall than rowing.

A lot of people say you must enjoy exercise or you won't stick with it. LOL> I've been at it for over 4 decades and I never enjoy it. I treat it as a serious job. Ask yourself - do you enjoy brushing your teeth every day? Of course not - but you do it. If you develop a work mentality in your physical training you won't stop, even if you no longer enjoy it.

Please don't get confused between the "high" or good feeling you may experience once you've completed your workout with the hard work you actually do. That's a task. The good feeling is a reward for your hard work. Think of it like a job which you get paid for when the work is completed.

Sorry Arnold. Brushing teeth takes a minute.

10 hours ago, Justfine said:

Sorry Arnold. Brushing teeth takes a minute.

I'm sorry you can't understand a simple point. You're the one whining about how boring everything is and I gave you a number of methods to get around that.

Substitute brushing your teeth with any number of jobs you have to do throughout the week that you don't enjoy but still do. Washing the car, cleaning the house etc etc.

Treat your workout as a job and get it done. 

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm sorry you can't understand a simple point. You're the one whining about how boring everything is and I gave you a number of methods to get around that.

Substitute brushing your teeth with any number of jobs you have to do throughout the week that you don't enjoy but still do. Washing the car, cleaning the house etc etc.

Treat your workout as a job and get it done. 

Just commenting, not whining. You are acting like a b....

21 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I reckon If I’m fully fit I could cart 55 cans of beer on my bike.  I could probably do the same on an exercise bike, but it would take me longer to get to my mate’s place, till he’d give up waiting

Test Case 1IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.eda5e1f4be5265e977c8529290649c1d.JPGIMG_1068.thumb.JPG.375aaea4ed663a24435e4c4793c8db0e.JPGTry that on your exercise bike....

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Need more in the front to balance

True; front panniers might help keep the front wheel down when tilting the bike to mount.  The loose can in the basket had a tendency to bounce above the rim of the basket on speed bumps.

5 hours ago, Justfine said:

Just commenting, not whining. You are acting like a b....

It must have been your sarcastic reply.

You have definitely done a fair bit of complaining about boredom. The bike, the rower... and training at home without a partner. You need someone to hold your hands while you train - I get it.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

You have definitely done a fair bit of complaining about boredom. The bike, the rower... and training at home without a partner. You need someone to hold your hands while you train - I get it.

It’s a lot easier to cycle a long distance with a buddy; not sure about bigger groups.

I’m quite happy to ride out to meet people, ride together then ride home on my own; I suppose on an exercise bike that would just mean getting to the gym first.  Do you ever take your exercise bikes round to your mates’ place to ride together?

10 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It’s a lot easier to cycle a long distance with a buddy; not sure about bigger groups.

I’m quite happy to ride out to meet people, ride together then ride home on my own; I suppose on an exercise bike that would just mean getting to the gym first.  Do you ever take your exercise bikes round to your mates’ place to ride together?

I don't have an exercise bike. I'm looking to get one of the Concept2 BikeErgs later this year when they become available in Asia. I gave up road cycling many years ago, but even then I used to ride solo. I never had a problem with boredom out on the road alone. 

My main method to prevent boredom is having multiple machines. Right now I have the Concept2 SkiErg and rower. This evening I did 30 minutes on the SkiErg and then hopped on the rower for another 25 minutes. Other times I may do 10 to 15 on each for 2 or 3 rounds. That really takes the boredom out of cardio. An hour goes by quite quickly like that and you have the added advantage of hitting different muscle groups and going harder as you're not going to be on it as long.

When I get the bike I will alternate between 3 machines - even more fun!

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

I don't have an exercise bike. I'm looking to get one of the Concept2 BikeErgs later this year when they become available in Asia. I gave up road cycling many years ago, but even then I used to ride solo. I never had a problem with boredom out on the road alone. 

My main method to prevent boredom is having multiple machines. Right now I have the Concept2 SkiErg and rower. This evening I did 30 minutes on the SkiErg and then hopped on the rower for another 25 minutes. Other times I may do 10 to 15 on each for 2 or 3 rounds. That really takes the boredom out of cardio. An hour goes by quite quickly like that and you have the added advantage of hitting different muscle groups and going harder as you're not going to be on it as long.

When I get the bike I will alternate between 3 machines - even more fun!

I’ve never managed 100 km on my own, though I have done 100 km with less than 50 km shared.  

52 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I’ve never managed 100 km on my own, though I have done 100 km with less than 50 km shared.  

We are in a different range. I do shorter, more intense cardio sessions. An hour would be my longest session. 

6 hours ago, tropo said:

You are strange. 

Archived