Italian (Genovese) Basil

I have seeds for Italian Basil also called Mediterranean Basil, not the Thai holy basil or similar looking plant. It germinates well, grows up and leafs out well. But as soon as the plant nears maturity it starts to wilt. Does anybody have any experience with this? I find it odd since the Thai basil grows practically as a weed, but I can't keep the other variety going and I really like the flavor of the Mediterranean basil. Soil, water, temperature...?

I grow Genovese Basil very successfully in pots on my balcony in Jomtien, in normal potting soil as sold by Thai Watsudu in bags for about 10-20B. I have had no wilting problems, though I have to be careful they dont dry out in the sun. I use it in pasta dishes, salads etc., and very nice it is too.

I got the seeds from Amazon UK. About 50B for 3000. Should last me about 10 years!

Do you mean sweet basil?  Always two kinds of basil available at any thai market.  Holy basil and sweet basil.  

I use sweet basil daily on my pizza.  Same as any Italian basil I've ever used.  

[Bai Horapha (Thai); Hung Que (Viet); Pak Boualapha, Pak Boula Phe (Laos); Anise Basil; Ocimum basilicum var thyrsiflora]

Of the Asian basils, this one is closest to Italian Basil but is sharper, slightly sweeter. I don't see any difference.  

basil.jpg

18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That one is nice enough, but it isnt quite the same taste as the Italian sort.

Have to second that. 

To the OP: I have the exact same problem. I've always assumed the the sun here is simply too strong/intense for the plants. 

18 hours ago, djayz said:

Have to second that. 

To the OP: I have the exact same problem. I've always assumed the the sun here is simply too strong/intense for the plants. 

I've tried it in full sun and partial shade and various different soil/compost mixes. Always seems to go the same. This is becoming a gardening challenge! I'm going to try it in 100% potting soil and see if it's some bacteria in the local soil. Also the cooler weather is starting in my area so I hope that will help. The cool weather helps the tomatoes. 

20 hours ago, djayz said:

I've always assumed the the sun here is simply too strong/intense for the plants. 

I used to live in southern Europe and the sun there was very strong also. Basil grew fine. I would say the big differences here are the much higher humidity, and the lack of big overnight temperature drops, but I dont know what effect that has, if any, on basil and wilt.

One thing I will add, and which may be relevant: I always germinate my basil seeds inside my condo in the air-con and away from the direct sun. Once they get to the 4 leaf stage I put the pot outside but not straight into the full sun of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived