Where to get chemistry set/other educatational toys

Sheryl

Hi, Christmas time is nigh so "Santa" (AKA Grandma) is shopping for gifts for the grandkids.  It used to be easy, and still is for the 6 year old, but the 13 year old boy (bright and advanced for his age) is more challenging.

Does anyone know where in Bangkok I could find  a chemistry set for kids and similar?

I feel your pain, with a bunch of Thai grandkids of assorted ages it's a nightmare, I leave it to my good lady, money is always the fallback position.

Chemistry sets have been outlawed in the UK for some time due to the dangers of fires / explosions / poisonings, shame really I had great fun with mine. I even had the "Radiation" kit with real radioactive sources, maybe that's why I've grown an extra arm :whistling:

You don't say how much you want to spend but:-

Do they have a PC? If so how about one of the hobby robot kits, build it, program it (in C, a useful tool for later life). Have a look on aliExpress, order now and it should arrive in time for the holiday season.

Something like this (not too many $$$) :-

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Avoidance-Tracking-Motor-Smart-Robot-Car-Chassis-Kit-Speed-Encoder-Battery-Box-2WD-Ultrasonic-module/32784305710.html

HTB1kknjOVXXXXbBXFXXq6xXFXXXS.jpg?size=1

Or this (rather more $$$)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wifi-Smart-Car-Robot-Kit-for-arduino-iOS-Video-Car-Robot-Wireless-Remote-Control-Android-PC/32644979702.html

Untitled-1.jpg

Or loads in between, do ensure you get a complete kit including the Arduino controller.

Possibly also available from Lazada.

In Bangkok I go to Siam Central on the skytrain, Robinsons (I think?) on about the 4 th floor has all kinds of stuff,  Meccano is great and they have some good kits, and science kits of various things.

Any Robinson has this kind of thing in their toy section

Never seen a chemistry set though, I remember mine from the 60's and its probably a good thing.

In Udon Thani where I live the main Tesco Lotus had a small shop where you get the shopping carts that is packed with toys and lots of kits for science type building experiments.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried looking at Suk Sapan at Zeer Rangsit?

I'm not sure about full blown chemistry sets, but they had many experiments for children and they had some cool soap making kits for kids. They certainly have enough real chemistry equipment and chemicals there you could make your own kit for them if you were so inclined.

If you are still in the market for an educational gift, you may want to check them out. They have a website but it doesn't list everything in their store. It's also in Thai only so google translate is your friend if you aren't well studied in the local lingo.

http://www.suksapan.or.th/index.php

Archived