Garbage mess

federicoP

The people that are earning their living searching into the garbage bins for some recyclable items, many times break the plastic bags and often leave some trash on the ground.

To improve the situation I separate the recyclable (glass and plastic bottles, tins, old clothes, etc.) and put them, as well as the not-recyclable, in transparent bags, to avoid the need to open them to know what is inside.

The situation is a bit better, but not so much, and unfortunately we do not have enough space to keep separate bins.

Does anybody have some other idea or suggestion ? 

8 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Find out what days the garbage truck comes and only put your bins out on those days.

Will not work in Rawai, half the time the rubbish truck is broken down in need of repairs so they do not turn up when they are supposed to, originally told us 3 pickups a week but most times we only get one after phoning and complaining about no rubbish pickup, and they can still take up to a day to come

No senior local government employees or councillors live in our area

Edited by madmax2

We segregate the rubbish, and temporarily store the bagged recycle waste in our garage until there are a couple of bags full, then phone a lady who does this, and she collects.   Word quickly gets around that there is never anything of worth in our roadside bins.   Worked well for a few years now.

2 minutes ago, schlog said:

Not to difficult MM.

Open the lock BEFORE the collectors come and lock again AFTER the collectors gone.

Besides the fact that the truck arrival is unpredictabe, there are people that are earning their living searching in the garbage and recycling.

Probably they do not have many alternatives in the life :sad:

Your good intentions will be wasted and probably lost on the

people that do the scavenging, they don't have the capacity to

realize that someone is actually trying to help them as that's

how they did things for generations and that's how they will

continue to do it....

7 minutes ago, schlog said:

Not to difficult MM.

Open the lock BEFORE the collectors come and lock again AFTER the collectors gone.

images.jpeg

Surprises me that someone has not just broken that lock of with a screwdriver to get to your rubbish

We bought a wheelie bin but stopped leaving it out when someone attempted to steal it, gone back to the cheap bins for roadside collection

9 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Besides the fact that the truck arrival is unpredictabe, there are people that are earning their living searching in the garbage and recycling.

Probably they do not have many alternatives in the life :sad:

I do separate plastic and glass as well and usually it is collected within 2 hours without them needing to look and rip off the things in the bin, maybe just luck. Although I am situated on a main road in Rawai, the garbage truck comes sometimes only once a month. Sometimes they empty the bins on the other side of the road, but not my side, got used to it not knowing when the stop at my side.

Talking about alternatives in life, even in the "developed" western world it is less and less uncommon and becomes for many the new normal, unfortunately.

As for everything in paper, I burn it from time to time believing it will cause not too much of a pollution. Have not found anybody to pick the paper stuff up, except for boxes and so on.

If everybody would separate the recyclable in transparent (or different colours) bags, maybe there would be less trash on the ground in front of our houses and the poor people would not need to scavenge inside the dirty trash.

I know : this is a dream, I am an idealist, the people do not mind, we are in Thailand, etc.  ........

Wow! You guys in Rawai have it bad.

Here in Chalong, our small, dead-end soi gets visited by the garbage truck at least four times a week.

We have an orange truck and a green truck; never heard of a breakdown during the 17 years I've lived here.

For 300 Bt a year, the service is outstanding.

Edited by KarenBravo

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Wow! You guys in Rawai have it bad.

Here in Chalong, our small, dead-end soi gets visited by the garbage truck at least four times a week.

We have an orange truck and a green truck; never heard of a breakdown during the 17 years I've lived here.

For 300 Bt a year, the service is outstanding.

Did not you mention in a previous topic that some local government bigwigs live near you ???

Always good service if they need it as well :smile:

1 hour ago, federicoP said:

If everybody would separate the recyclable in transparent (or different colours) bags, maybe there would be less trash on the ground in front of our houses and the poor people would not need to scavenge inside the dirty trash.

I know : this is a dream, I am an idealist, the people do not mind, we are in Thailand, etc.  ........

Most of that is caused by garbage containers not being dog-proof.

I started off with a municipality supplied bin (made of used tyres). The dogs nosed the lid aside and scattered the rubbish.

Got myself a dog-proof bin made out of expanded steel mesh which I put the garbage bags in. Problem solved.

1 minute ago, madmax2 said:

Did not you mention in a previous topic that some local government bigwigs live near you ???

Always good service if they need it as well :smile:

Yes, but I've found out since that the sois that run parallel also get the same service.

I think the Chalong Or Bor Tor is relatively switched on. Pot holes get filled, roadside plants get watered and we have a small army of old ladies in hi-visibility vests that work in pairs on their motorbike with side-car, armed with brooms and scoops.

1 hour ago, sekmet said:

Probably you could just pay someone B300/month to take it and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Take your rubbish and illegally dump in on someone else's property, that's what they do, no thank you that just adds to the rubbish problem 

The rubbish collection fee in Rawai is 480 baht a year which is next to nothing in my opinion

When the people in our village found out about this (after multiple complains about the rubbish cages at the entrance to our soi which were rarely emptied and infested with rats) The majority of people especially owner/ occupiers went down and paid for a years rubbish collection and the government removed the rubbish cages

In the beginning we had regular rubbish collections at least twice a week, the trucks were old but reasonably reliable, over time the trucks have become old and worn out with the extra work they have had to do, instead of installing a dividing island along Viset road all the way to the beach which has caused a lot more traffic accidents and is useless as people just ghost ride now (ride/drive the wrong way against the traffic flow), and installing traffic lights all over the place that are not used but left on flashing they had bought a couple of new rubbish trucks and employed some people as street cleaners Rawai could have had as good a rubbish service and been as clean as Chalong, we need a new Mayor who keeps his/her election promises for once   

Edited by madmax2

The old lady that scours for stuff in our area used to be a bit messy, the wife spoke with her and have never had a problem since.

Gotta agree with the rubbish collection here in Chalong, outstanding, 4 sometimes 5 times a week.

Lucky you all with garbage collection.  I live on a road (I assume private) with no collection .... and there must be 20 buildings with over 300 apartments = a lot of garbage. In our case we have a communal wheelie bin that my handman has to empty and take to a rubbish cage on Patak Road.  I see some people just dump plastic bags at our Patak road end .... messy as I don't think the truck picks up.

Everywhere i have lived in Phuket including Patong, Kathu, Kata/Karon, Chalong and Rawai have a rubbish collection service, i have always paid for it because its not free as some expect and want

They have a single household annual fee and a commercial fee for units etc, Some people prefer to dump their rubbish at a public bin to save money, and some people have no road access to their house for the rubbish truck to use

If you pay the rubbish collection fee and provide suitable access you to can have a regular rubbish pickup at your residence

41 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Everywhere i have lived in Phuket including Patong, Kathu, Kata/Karon, Chalong and Rawai have a rubbish collection service, i have always paid for it because its not free as some expect and want

They have a single household annual fee and a commercial fee for units etc, Some people prefer to dump their rubbish at a public bin to save money, and some people have no road access to their house for the rubbish truck to use

If you pay the rubbish collection fee and provide suitable access you to can have a regular rubbish pickup at your residence

I would happily pay at out Kata homes, but there is no service. We have been living here for 11 years, still no garbage truck ever seen on our road. We pay at our 2 Patong properties and have a good collection service.

I just cannot understand the Kata situation ... so so many properties (many are company managed)... no collection service,

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

and some people have no road access to their house for the rubbish truck to use

This simply not true. I have paid the fee, live on a major road in Rawai. The garbage truck, when it comes picks up on the opposite side of the road, across from my house more or less regularly. The last time they emptied my bin was 10 days ago and before that had to wait 1 month, and I repeat, I paid the collection fee and live on a major road.

Lucky are those who are served regularly, it has never been the case at my house, not that I am surprised knowing how things can be "organised".

15 hours ago, chercheur888 said:

This simply not true. I have paid the fee, live on a major road in Rawai. The garbage truck, when it comes picks up on the opposite side of the road, across from my house more or less regularly. The last time they emptied my bin was 10 days ago and before that had to wait 1 month, and I repeat, I paid the collection fee and live on a major road.

Lucky are those who are served regularly, it has never been the case at my house, not that I am surprised knowing how things can be "organised".

Go and complain about no rubbish pickup at the council office at the west end of Rawai beach, if you have paid your rubbish collection fee and its up to date as you claim

My wife and other people where we live just Phone them and they usually come the same day even if one of the rubbish trucks is broken down that's if they have not done their regular pickup, but our rubbish collection fees are paid up to next year

Don't tell me i am lying, you need to get of your bum and do something yourself instead of complaining and accusing on a internet forum sport

42 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Go and complain about no rubbish pickup at the council office at the west end of Rawai beach, if you have paid your rubbish collection fee and its up to date as you claim

My wife and other people where we live just Phone them and they usually come the same day even if one of the rubbish trucks is broken down that's if they have not done their regular pickup, but our rubbish collection fees are paid up to next year

Don't tell me i am lying, you need to get of your bum and do something yourself instead of complaining and accusing on a internet forum sport

I am very flattered for your concern about my bum, thank you, but no thank you, I am not interested.

As for the rest of the garbage, I prefer not to waste anymore of your precious time and sorry for my intrusion into your perfect universe.