Michelin glow for a Hua Hin brunch

rooster59

Michelin glow for a Hua Hin brunch

By Khetsirin Pholdhampalit 
The Sunday Nation

18652eedb797647802c46a658a7e641d.jpeg

La Residence at the Intercontinental Hua Hin Resort recently held its first Sunday brunch with dishes prepared by Michelinstar chef Takagi Kazuo.

The Intercontinental Hua Hin Resort is tapping top chefs from around the world

THE INTERCONTINENTAL Hua Hin Resort has leapt into the luxury Sunday brunch market by inviting both celebrity and Michelin-star chefs to serve their finest cuisine in the seaside town.

The first in the series was Japanese chef Takagi Kazuo, whose restaurant Takagi in Ashiya, a city between Osaka and Kobe, earned two Michelin stars in 2010. His hotpot restaurant Kozithu owned another star in 2013.

Kazuo was in Hua Hin for the first time recently to present his refined Kyoto-style cuisine known as kyo-ryori at the resort’s La Residence, a two-storey beachside Thai-Victorian mansion.

Kyo-ryori brings together sophistication, artistic impression and subtlety of taste. Dishes are created with an emphasis on natural beauty and local and seasonal ingredients.

18652eedb797647802c46a658a7e641d.jpeg

La Residence at the Intercontinental Hua Hin Resort recently held its first Sunday brunch.

“This is the first time for InterContinental Hua Hin and also for Hua Hin itself to welcome a Michelin-star chef,” said general manager Michael Janssen. “We believe it will make Hua Hin more attractive, along with the rest of its uniqueness as a beach resort not far from Bangkok, with a cosmopolitan ambience.

“We plan to collaborate with renowned celebrity chefs and Michelin-star chefs from all over the world, so stay tuned!”

La Residence was elegantly set with white chairs and white-linen-covered tables laden with bone china and silverware. The tall windows let light stream in while affording a sea view.

1fd602efd9a1ca505a3ae93f921c0bbe.jpeg

An amuse bouche of abalone, salmon, duck and pumpkin

Kazuo prepared a five-course Sunday brunch paired with sake, each dish beautifully presented to recall autumn colours in Japan. 

Arriving first at the table was an amuse bouche of steamed abalone with seaweed, salmon marinated with kombu and oven-baked duck with teriyaki sauce served with pan-fried girolles mushrooms. 

Pumpkin seasoned with dashi – a broth made of kombu and bonito – and sweet potato chips in the form of yellow, orange and brown gingko leaves were also presented to celebrate the arrival of another dazzling autumn.

de99cb14dcc2023db009e21afb36b5f6.jpeg

Onsen egg in dashi jelly

As a starter, the dashi broth was turned into jelly and served chilled with an onsen egg and green asparagus topped with black truffle, egg-yolk powder and tiny greens. 

0f88183db459be2d4a6ce5394b069427.jpeg

Blue lobster in mushroom soup

Next on the menu was one of Kazuo’s best-known dishes, mushroom soup that’s quite complicated in the preparation. It featured Homard blue lobster with eggplant and edamame beans, topped with caviar and dressed with purple shiso flowers.

“Dashi soup is the hidden gem of each dish, making Kyoto-style food more fully flavoured,” he said.

f2f7c3418276aea0ddf5ce566045245f.jpeg

Grilled wagyu beef marinated in teriyaki sauce

The main course was a choice between grilled wagyu beef marinated in teriyaki sauce and served with potato and green beans, or grilled gindara black cod with miso and yuzu citrus sauce served with spinach, dried chrysanthemum, tomato and Japanese pepper oil.

“Kyoto was Japan’s capital for many years, so that’s where the old Japanese culture has its roots,” Kazuo explained. “My kyo-ryori is based on the tea ceremony, which is part of that old culture. My final course is normally sweets with green tea.”

e9fec7db7d9dbc6daf7d20a4301e819b.jpeg

Raspberries and milk gelato with langue-de-chat green tea

His innovative dessert was a glass containing scoops of zesty raspberries and creamy milk gelato served with sake zabajoine mango. It arrived with langue-de-chat green tea.

“It’s very basic because this is my first time in Hua Hin and I had no idea what to expect of the kitchen, the staff and the situation. Most of the ingredients are available locally, such as asparagus, eggs and abalone. If I can come again, I’m sure I can make it better.”

3a4f9c028b8eded0f175a063323e609e.jpeg

Chef Takagi Kazuo

Kazuo believes that a good chef must be able to replace the usual ingredients to create even better dishes.

“If you have the best ingredients, you can cook well, of course. But it’s much more challenging to turn something simple into something extraordinary.

“Last month I went to a school to demonstrate cooking and I killed a fish in front of the students. I wanted to show them that we have to kill something to continue living. Every ingredient has a life of its own, so I have to cook carefully and create dishes that will satisfy my guests. There must be nothing wasteful about it – that’s my job.”

9359065f6e409d6f3414d206b8b8d9cd.jpeg

Grilled gindara black cod with miso and yuzu citrus sauce

To take authentic Japanese cuisine to the world, Kazuo encourages young chefs to visit his restaurants and learn the Japanese way.

“Several years back I went to a Japanese restaurant in France, but the staff was entirely Chinese. There was no one who deeply understood Japanese cuisine. In the past three years I’ve invited young chefs to my places to study cooking, staying for as long as they can. If my challenge to them succeeds, they can bring real Japanese food to the world.”

Asked to name his own favourite Japanese dish, Kazuo said softly, “I don’t know ‘this is my favourite and this is not’, but when I’m in kitchen, just miso soup and rice is enough for me.”

Keep updated about other chefs participating in the series at http://HuaHin.Intercontinental.com.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/tasty/30332447

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-26

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Lovely elaborate food !....(if one is to take it by the photos)

...a bit of a pity iMHO to have it for a long Sunday breakfast bruch after the Saturday night hangover !!...

.......would be definately worth for dinner however !!

I don't think too many of the potential guests have to worry about hangovers.

The target customers are more reflective of Hua Hin's demographics;

- Higher income Thais, especially the weekend residents from the BMA. They are older, or young health conscious, i.e. fit. No binge drinking with these people as there is with a Patong junketeer. 

- Wealthier foreign residents/visitors (compared to those who frequent junket destinations such as Pattaya and Koh Samui.) Hua Hin is a favourite destination of golf crazy Japanese and Chinese visitors. Ever since China cracked down on golf, smart Chinese go elsewhere to play and Hua Hin picked up alot of them. Hua Hin's Russians are not the mobsters & molls one sees in Phuket or Pattaya:  They are usually with families, very low key, and polite and they have money, lots of it.

- The lowest rate for a room with breakfast at La Residence is about 6200 baht and that's the base room with breakfast. The reality though is that the typical room  at the Intercontinental is around 7500 baht with the pool villas at 24,000 baht. This is what some TVFers pay for their room in a month.:shock1:

Overall, the Intercontinental is a lovely hotel with impeccable services. I can't relax there though, and I suppose it is because I have gone a bit jungle although I still don't use the same fork for my salad on the entree.  :)  It's a hotel for my elderly parents where they will be well looked after.  The dining options reflect the upscale characteristics of the guests.  Mind you, I am ok with the dining options in BluPort, one of my favourite destinations in town. This place is going to be a smash with the wealthy Japanese and Thai hipsters.

38 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I don't think too many of the potential guests have to worry about hangovers.

The target customers are more reflective of Hua Hin's demographics;

- Higher income Thais, especially the weekend residents from the BMA. They are older, or young health conscious, i.e. fit. No binge drinking with these people as there is with a Patong junketeer. 

- Wealthier foreign residents/visitors (compared to those who frequent junket destinations such as Pattaya and Koh Samui.) Hua Hin is a favourite destination of golf crazy Japanese and Chinese visitors. Ever since China cracked down on golf, smart Chinese go elsewhere to play and Hua Hin picked up alot of them. Hua Hin's Russians are not the mobsters & molls one sees in Phuket or Pattaya:  They are usually with families, very low key, and polite and they have money, lots of it.

- The lowest rate for a room with breakfast at La Residence is about 6200 baht and that's the base room with breakfast. The reality though is that the typical room  at the Intercontinental is around 7500 baht with the pool villas at 24,000 baht. This is what some TVFers pay for their room in a month.:shock1:

Overall, the Intercontinental is a lovely hotel with impeccable services. I can't relax there though, and I suppose it is because I have gone a bit jungle although I still don't use the same fork for my salad on the entree.  :)  It's a hotel for my elderly parents where they will be well looked after.  The dining options reflect the upscale characteristics of the guests.  Mind you, I am ok with the dining options in BluPort, one of my favourite destinations in town. This place is going to be a smash with the wealthy Japanese and Thai hipsters.

Very true that Hua Hin keeps to a certain level to avoid the usual mobs one can see in the sex paradise across the sea. However,  the lucky people who are well off, also like to have a party or get together on saturday night, without excess, that can leave nevertheless one with a bit of a headache on sunday morning.:tongue: True for BluPort dining options, very attractive, but feels a bit to much as in any western city, which is of course what the local hi-so's seek.... I largely prefer ChomKluen by the beach....priceless to eat such good typical thai food by the sea, imho naturally. Do you know any other good venues in the ChomKluen style in the area ?

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

...  I suppose it is because I have gone a bit jungle although I still don't use the same fork for my salad on the entree.  :) ...

I crawled out of the rice paddies in Loei 38 years ago.  Still can't eat my sticky rice with a fork. 

Archived