61 people killed EVERY DAY: More damning stats reveal the carnage on Thailand’s roads

rooster59

52 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm guessing you're not British.

In the UK we call it road tax, maybe other countries call it vehicle registration.

It's that sticker you have to pay for every year and put in the windscreen to show when it's next due.

Sticker went out 6 years ago in Aus.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The stats don’t take into account people who died on the way to or later in hospital having been involved in a road traffic accident. The Foundation said this is because those stats will not be available until the end of the year.

They aren't in the running total apparently but are in the yearly figures.  Hardly surprising as you have to wait to see who lives or dies before you can include them I guess. 

6 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Read the OP..... They do.  The barstool nonsense has been out to rest. 

I read the Thaivisa post today.  The post says only people who die at the scene of the accident are counted as deaths by road accidents.  Not even on the way to hospital.

Edited by David Walden

38 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

As it was in the UK.

Watching some UK police documentaries on youtube, I see the paper disk has been scrapped.

It's mainly enforced by ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras now, linked online to check within a few seconds if the vehicle has road tax, insurance and MOT.

Ah, Behind the times then. Thanks, it's been a good few years.

5 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

1. Not really, but it's not just Thais, I don't like people generally.

2. How much did who take me for?

1.yes that seems to be quite clear. 

2. Irrelevant as it only applies to people with a sense of humour. 

Edited by tryasimight

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If allowing bikes on “fast” roads, they must be capable of driving at the correct speed, otherwise they are nothing but mobile hazards.

Which is why they build m'bike lanes on the side of expressways here.

What "m'bike lanes"??  Are you referring to the expressway shoulder or emergency lane?  If so, then yes this lane is used by lunatic motorcycle drivers, and it's two way traffic!!  Cars/pick-ups also travel against traffic on this emergency lane.   One of the first steps to reduce deaths in Thailand would be to stop anyone using this emergency lane, other than police, ambulances, and personal vehicles with problems.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It also was abolished in the UK about 3 years ago.

Maybe bluesofa hasn't been back home for a while?

You know more than me about when it was abolished!

The first post I made explaining about it being a sticker was regarding the Thai Por Ror Bor sticker here.

Perhaps you didn't see my post #231, when I said I'd seen on TV that it is no longer used in the UK.

You're right, I haven't been back for a few years now.

If other countries have superior or more comprehensive road accident related fatality statistics that include those that die after the accident, is there any way of determining what percentage of total road accident fatalities are in hospitals, ambulances, etc. in these other countries? Is there an official tracker of these statistics that can provide a more detailed breakdown?

The claim made in the OP that deaths would "likely to be considerably higher" if these were included has no real point of reference. Yes, it will be higher but by how much?

48 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Well, I try not to make any attempt to hide what I think. Honesty is paramount. If you knew the reason you would think differently. Maybe

I do have a sense of humour, just not (evidently) the same as yours. If it's important I can simulate though.

1 minute ago, Sid Celery said:

Well, I try not to make any attempt to hide what I think. Honesty is paramount. If you knew the reason you would think differently. Maybe

I do have a sense of humour, just not (evidently) the same as yours. If it's important I can simulate though.

Thanks for sharing. I do mean that,  not being a smart-arse Sid

"One such measure introduced earlier this year was to ban people riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck."

Outside Big C Extra in Pattaya yesterday, a pickup with at least 15 workers crammed in the back. It was stopped at the traffic lights right outside the POLICE box, the BIB was inside as his bike was there, but obviously too hot to come out. At the same time six Thais without helmets also at the lights. Rules with no enforcement....a waste of effort.

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

1 i mostly like what he posts..2 his reply was funny...3 wont say...................just yet...? but we is wayayay OT so back on topic, just heard another so called hotted up ute do a useless burnout making a u turn...as ive said i live on a busy road and the amount road 'holiganism' i hear if im near the front for periods of time is mind boggling, truely mind boggling..

1 minute ago, kaorop said:

1 i mostly like what he posts..2 his reply was funny...3 wont say...................just yet...? but we is wayayay OT so back on topic, just heard another so called hotted up ute do a useless burnout making a u turn...as ive said i live on a busy road and the amount road 'holiganism' i hear if im near the front for periods of time is mind boggling, truely mind boggling..

OK.. Thanks for sharing 

Just checked, and sad to say there were over 40,000 traffic fatalities reported in the US last year. But that was full reporting, not done with smoke and mirrors. So twice as many traffic fatalities as Thailand, but with 4-5 times the population. Maybe because police actually get out on the road and enforce laws. And in high density states like New Jersey, U-turns all done at cloverleaf intersections with traffic lights. The U-turn you have to take to get out of my tambon in San Phiseux is absolutely deadly--from a fast lane to fast lane on a blind turn, often blocked further with cars and SUVs sporting tinted windows...and the damned motorbikes that pull up next to me on both sides, seemingly wanting to die...  A quick fix--every U-turn should be at a red light or controlled intersection...

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

When i travel long distances, what i don't see on the roads is police

presence on bikes and cruisers, and when i see them, they pay no

minds to the traffic around them, you can fly by them speeding and

you'll not get stopped, a lot more police cars and bikes needed to be

patrolling the roads keeping drivers honest, stop and search for alcohol

and drugs use, and heavy fines on the spot for badly behaving drivers, 

put the fear in the hearts and minds of all drivers, show of force urgently

needed, not just the occasional  road blocks....

Why should the police work? Its easier to sit in chairs by the roadside. A flashing red light atop a candy coloured pyramid to indicate their "presence". Working would need 'effort'. They don't get paid enough for effort.

They will have to make effort if there is an accident, for which they will be the last on the scene, to decide which of the motorists will have to pay the largest fine/ bribe.       Then its back to the chairs. I think any number of us would be familiar with this observation, without being labelled cynical. 

Nice people I have found, but not fond of effort. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"One such measure introduced earlier this year was to ban people riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck."

Outside Big C Extra in Pattaya yesterday, a pickup with at least 15 workers crammed in the back. It was stopped at the traffic lights right outside the POLICE box, the BIB was inside as his bike was there, but obviously too hot to come out. At the same time six Thais without helmets also at the lights. Rules with no enforcement....a waste of effort.

The rule about people traveling in the back of pick ups was shelved for the time being because they did not want to inconvenient anyone over Songkran and it is still on the shelf

11 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

How is this not safer than navigating 3 very busy intersections???

If this was on motorcycle, why would it be illegal? What would the rationale be for motorcycles to not be allowed to travel safely this way?

Motorcycles are fast enough, way faster than most cars and certainly way faster than trucks and buses as they chug along to the top of the bridge.

Let's do the right thing and change law, no loss of face in doing the right thing/

bangkokbridge.png

2 main problems.

1. Small motorcycles and big motorcycles are still not properly separated in the law. In many countries, legally, a 1400cc superbike is in every single way different to a 125cc scooter in the eyes of the law. In Thailand, they're the same vehicle, same license required, and thus have to follow the same rules. They cannot let a 100-110cc scooter onto these roads because they're not powerful enough to let the traffic flow, therefore, a 1400cc motorcycle isn't allowed either. Why do you think a motorcycle below 150cc is not allowed on the US freeways?

2. Most scooter riders ride TOO SLOW.

Have you even noticed most people can't even go above 60km/h? Why? Is it because the wind hitting their face is too much handle because they don't wear proper fullface helmets? It should be illegal to go slower than 80km/h on these roads, it drives me crazy when I'm on a single lane road and the scooter in front doesn't have the balls to go over 60km/h.

This is why they're still illegal to be used on roads like the one in your picture, people don't have the balls to go over 60km/h and their bikes are too slow to go faster than 100 km/h.

Until they create the big bike license they've been talking about for 2 years now, it will remain like this.

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Are you talking about their ability to drive a car with skill, or their ability to drive their car with wisdom, care, and attention? I think they are mostly highly skilled, you have to be to survive. But the chances they take...

Well they appear to be fairly skillful at cutting lose several unskilled ones, a bit of a pity about the innocents

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

"Some may want a policeman on every highway handing out fines for travelling 5 kph over the limit, but not I."

Is that what this thread is about? 

61 people dead every day and you post about 5km over the speed limit.

No further comment needed.

Its all to do with self, self, and of course self