61 people killed EVERY DAY: More damning stats reveal the carnage on Thailand’s roads

rooster59

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, David Walden said:

You forgot to mention all the idiots that are going the wrong way on the wrong side of a hi-way with no lights at night.  That's the ones if you see them you pass them on the right side.  TIT.  Everybody should know that???

Idiots? They must be law abiding citizens as they are allowed to do it whenever it suits them. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The so called motorbike lane which is really a hard shoulder/emergency lane/ breakdown lane

Give it a break. Photo from google images. As taken in THAILAND.

Do you actually ever ride on the m'bike lanes? I doubt it because that is just not true on any of the roads I ride a m'bike on. I ride at max 60 kph because of small wheels on a scooter.

In the countryside there often isn't a m'bike lane or hard shoulder though.

Worst thing on m'bike lanes is sand on the corners and one should always drive to the road condition anyway.

stock-photo-motorbike-and-bike-lane-sign-on-roadside-thailand-258885800.jpg

Lol.... stock pictures in an ideal setting

heres one from today, with a lovely shoulder. ( rider all kinds of <deleted> up whilst trying to read the sign)..... lol... I know I’m cheating, I should go down to the main and take a picture of what really exists....Per my earlier post, in a ten minute timesframe, three bikes down on the road shoulder in one k of road

uniformity in rules and practices is what will make the difference, vs it’s ok here, to bad about over there.

5A92F347-4882-45CA-B2E9-B5B35DACBE9F.jpeg

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's another photo from google images taken in a different country from LOS, but is anyone on here going to claim they are the "hard shoulder"?

:cheesy:.

excellent bike lanes.jpg

Lol... dude... the hard shoulder in this pic is the area to the left of the white line which delineates the bike lane.... ergo the bike lane is most certainly not a part of the hard shoulder

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

you must believe that they (thailand) have got it right, or partially so....

Not at all as regards the drivers, but where they are right is thinking it is a Thai problem to fix or not fix as THEY choose to do, and in a way that reflects THAI values, not what farangs or I think should be done.

I choose to live in Thailand and that includes living with THEIR society's norms, not what I think they should be. The day I can't accept that I will be on an outbound plane.

Fair enough, I suppose.... even if their societal norms are to flagrantly break the law, leading to the reputation as second worst roads in the world

that said, this is an expat forum, full of expat opinions.... in this case, those opinions are about ways to enhance road safety, in a country where a large proportion of natives believe the “problem”, isn’t a problem, but fate.

those “fatalist” might be more open to your point of view.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gold star for that. I hate the cops for fining me a huge amount of money that I couldn't afford just for driving a few km over the limit on a perfect early Sunday morning when I was the only car on the road with perfect visibility. Still rankles 10 years later.

I'm the sort of person they should be able to depend on in an emergency, but guess what............................................ They lost any support from me for being all about revenue gathering and not safety.

You were speeding, you got caught, what did you expect a special dispensation

As a matter of interest how much was the fine, now I know you have got it written down somewhere as it still rankles after ten years

3 hours ago, farcanell said:

Lol... dude... the hard shoulder in this pic is the area to the left of the white line which delineates the bike lane.... ergo the bike lane is most certainly not a part of the hard shoulder

Very interesting but not sure how a bike lane in some other country has anything to do with a bike lane Thailand?

3 hours ago, farcanell said:

Lol.... stock pictures in an ideal setting

heres one from today, with a lovely shoulder. ( rider all kinds of f***ed up whilst trying to read the sign)..... lol... I know I’m cheating, I should go down to the main and take a picture of what really exists....Per my earlier post, in a ten minute timesframe, three bikes down on the road shoulder in one k of road

uniformity in rules and practices is what will make the difference, vs it’s ok here, to bad about over there.

5A92F347-4882-45CA-B2E9-B5B35DACBE9F.jpeg

I usually ride my motor bike in the motorbike lane if there only a few pot holes or the near side car lane if the motor bike lane is too rugged.  It is quite normal in Thailand for motorbikes and some times motor cars to just take the short cut on the bike lane of a major HWY because to go maybe 2/3 KM do a U turn and then come back 4/5 KM and do another U turn when you only wanted to go1/2 KM well that seems...OK (in Thailand only?)   When you are in a motor bike lane and a motor bike in coming the other way you now pass that bike keeping to the right...better get used to it TIT or be dead.  And remember in Thailand all ways give way to vehicles that are bigger then your vehicle...very important.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you think I haven't driven thousands of km on Thai roads I have a bridge to sell to you- going cheap.

If you don't know the reality of m'bike riding in LOS I suggest it is you need to spend more time driving on Thai roads outside a city.

Sooooo, you choose which laws to obey in LOS 55555555.

Isn't that what you are complaining about with the Thais breaking the laws :cheesy:

Scooters should not even be on the expressways.

Have you even been in LOS? You seem to have little idea as to the reality here.

Been driving in Thailand for over 31 years wise guy.   I am breaking a law (refusing to use the shoulder as a lane) that could get me killed.... you better wise up before you also join the list.  From the rest of your comments it seems you either are Thai or have somehow been misguided by their views.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

Very interesting but not sure how a bike lane in some other country has anything to do with a bike lane Thailand?

Oh dear. Because while the bike lanes in Thailand don't have that nice writing on them and the nice road markings, and I was using that as evidence that they have the same thing in other countries as they do in Thailand. Of course some will continue to deny the reality of bike lanes in Thailand regardless of the proof I have given.

1 hour ago, ragpicker said:

Been driving in Thailand for over 31 years wise guy.   I am breaking a law (refusing to use the shoulder as a lane) that could get me killed.... you better wise up before you also join the list.  From the rest of your comments it seems you either are Thai or have somehow been misguided by their views.  Good luck.

OK just keep driving a scooter at 60kph in the car lane and see how long you survive. Not my problem. I'll continue to use the m'bike lanes.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

you must believe that they (thailand) have got it right, or partially so....

Not at all as regards the drivers, but where they are right is thinking it is a Thai problem to fix or not fix as THEY choose to do, and in a way that reflects THAI values, not what farangs or I think should be done.

I choose to live in Thailand and that includes living with THEIR society's norms, not what I think they should be. The day I can't accept that I will be on an outbound plane.

And what are those "Thai values"?

13 hours ago, Keesters said:

The so called motorbike lane which is really a hard shoulder/emergency lane/ breakdown lane is not a safe place to ride a motorbike except at very slow speeds. Many times the edges are broken away leaving holes that should a motorbike fall into them will cause a tumble. There is also all the litter, glass bottles, cans, etc thrown there by inconsiderate occupants of >=4 wheel vehicles.

Another 2 photos from google images.

One shows a Thai road without a m'bike lane, the other has a m'bike lane.

Hopefully everyone can see the difference. 5a1d7d7f2e2f1_NOMBIKELANE.jpg.b588dd23bf246a4eb1b4780aa63edc55.jpg5a1d7d8df26bd_WITHMBIKELANE.thumb.jpg.9f55046b26848e59fca5333fb2393351.jpg

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

5,000 posts and you don't know? Seriously?

I'm not going to get into that here, but carry on regardless.

Thank you for your enlightened answer.

I see a third world feudal society where those 'in charge' (the elite/rich/connected) do not give a damn about the masses but I would not say this was a Thai value but rather a lack of value.

And what is it with your two 'meaningless' photos? Or are you "...not going to get into that here.." either?

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Thank you for your enlightened answer.

I see a third world feudal society where those 'in charge' (the elite/rich/connected) do not give a damn about the masses but I would not say this was a Thai value but rather a lack of value.

And what is it with your two 'meaningless' photos? Or are you "...not going to get into that here.." either?

At the risk of repeating myself about Thailand  "If you want live a full life live dangerously".

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Another 2 photos from google images.

One shows a Thai road without a m'bike lane, the other has a m'bike lane.

Hopefully everyone can see the difference. 5a1d7d7f2e2f1_NOMBIKELANE.jpg.b588dd23bf246a4eb1b4780aa63edc55.jpg5a1d7d8df26bd_WITHMBIKELANE.thumb.jpg.9f55046b26848e59fca5333fb2393351.jpg

Difference is easy to spot except that it isn't a motorbike lane. It is a hard shoulder/emergency lane/ breakdown lane.

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The so called motorbike lane which is really a hard shoulder/emergency lane/ breakdown lane

Give it a break. Photo from google images. As taken in THAILAND.

Do you actually ever ride on the m'bike lanes? I doubt it because that is just not true on any of the roads I ride a m'bike on. I ride at max 60 kph because of small wheels on a scooter.

In the countryside there often isn't a m'bike lane or hard shoulder though.

Worst thing on m'bike lanes is sand on the corners and one should always drive to the road condition anyway.

stock-photo-motorbike-and-bike-lane-sign-on-roadside-thailand-258885800.jpg

Driven round lots of Thailand in my 30+ years here and never seen one of those signs. I must admit I tend to avoid major highways not wishing to become a statistic. Whatever the signage it doesn't alter the fact that the narrow lane to the left can be dangerous for motorcycles as the surface is often broken away and many times littered.

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's another photo from google images taken in a different country from LOS, but is anyone on here going to claim they are the "hard shoulder"?

:cheesy:.

excellent bike lanes.jpg

Completely meaningless post. Not Thailand. Lane is clearly marked for motorcycles. Lane is extremely wide, much wider than a Thai hard shoulder Lane is separated from other lanes by a reasonably wide, I'm assuming, no go area. There is another narrow section to the left of the M'sikal lane which is where the black top ends and will break off leaving a dangerous surface for motorbikes which is what the Thai hard shoulder does.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, Keesters said:

Difference is easy to spot except that it isn't a motorbike lane. It is a hard shoulder/emergency lane/ breakdown lane.

I find it hard to believe that you have even been to Thailand with your refusal to recognise reality.

You apparently believe that the Thai road authorities spend BILLIONS to provide a "hard shoulder/emergency lane/ breakdown lane" on roads throughout Thailand. The simpler reason is that most two wheelers are too slow to safely use the car lanes so they provide a lane for them to use, as millions of Thais do every day.

Which of the following two statements best describes reality in LOS?

You- it's illegal to use the left hand lane ( where provided ) for riding two wheelers in.

Millions and millions and millions of Thais- it's a m'cycle lane.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, Keesters said:

Completely meaningless post. Not Thailand. Lane is clearly marked for motorcycles. Lane is extremely wide, much wider than a Thai hard shoulder Lane is separated from other lanes by a reasonably wide, I'm assuming, no go area. There is another narrow section to the left of the M'sikal lane which is where the black top ends and will break off leaving a dangerous surface for motorbikes which is what the Thai hard shoulder does.

The m'bike lanes in LOS are as wide as the one in the photo, but minus the nice "no go" painted strip.

I see no point in continuing this discussion about m'bike lanes with you, as you are never going to admit reality.

Bye.

On 28/11/2017 at 11:33 PM, David Walden said:

At the risk of repeating myself about Thailand  "If you want live a full life live dangerously".

Not quite right, here, allow me...

"If you want a short but full life, live dangerously".

There, that's better. And more accurate.

On 29/11/2017 at 10:40 AM, Keesters said:

What a fantastic road design for your average Thai, another free lane (nearly 2 lanes) to drive your car on or pass if there is any hold up or delay - or even just use it if you want to. 

On 12/1/2017 at 1:02 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The m'bike lanes in LOS are as wide as the one in the photo, but minus the nice "no go" painted strip.

I see no point in continuing this discussion about m'bike lanes with you, as you are never going to admit reality.

Bye.

As wide...no way. hard shoulders  along highway 3 are half as wide and sometimes non existent as they have broken away. 

Nothing to admit. Motorcycles lanes in Thailand DO NOT EXIST.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:57 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I find it hard to believe that you have even been to Thailand with your refusal to recognise reality.

You apparently believe that the Thai road authorities spend BILLIONS to provide a "hard shoulder/emergency lane/ breakdown lane" on roads throughout Thailand. The simpler reason is that most two wheelers are too slow to safely use the car lanes so they provide a lane for them to use, as millions of Thais do every day.

Which of the following two statements best describes reality in LOS?

You- it's illegal to use the left hand lane ( where provided ) for riding two wheelers in.

Millions and millions and millions of Thais- it's a m'cycle lane.

It's a HARD SHOULDER sometimes used by very slow moving motorcycles, tractors (does that make it a tractor lane?) farm animals (does that make it a goat/buffalo/cow lane?). Even my little 110cc scooter can cruise at 80 kmph which would be a very unsafe speed in the hard shoulder with its broken surface. Much safer to travel in the all vehicle (not exclusively car as you would have it) lanes.

Police have in 30+ years NEVER EVER stopped me from using the regular lanes.

I have NEVER stated it was illegal to use left hand lane ( where provided ) for riding two wheelers in

Millions and millions and millions of Thai car/bus/truck drivers use it to undertake - it's an undertake lane.

Archived