Centipede bite

superal

I was bit by one about 7 years back on the foot. Didn't kill me but I couldn't walk for a week. As others have said, it is incredibly painful.

On the other hand, my dog accidentally laid down on top of one and died from it.  So it does depend on the size of the thing and your body mass. I imagine a big one could kill a small child.

Stay away from the things if you can. They are truly nasty creatures.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

I was bit by one about 7 years back on the foot. Didn't kill me but I couldn't walk for a week. As others have said, it is incredibly painful.

On the other hand, my dog accidentally laid down on top of one and died from it.  So it does depend on the size of the thing and your body mass. I imagine a big one could kill a small child.

Stay away from the things if you can. They are truly nasty creatures.

I am always aware when in the garden and have to move something such as a concrete slab or urn etc as they are often in cool damp places but a friend also had one inside of his gardening glove and put it on and felt it wriggle and dropped the glove . His wife said that it was a real nasty one which would have put him in hospital . Why the Thais put them in their whiskey bottles is beyond me 

came down the stairs on this 25 December xmas morning and there was my present at the foot of he stairs, a 6" centipede...I'm in the habit now of looking where I walk in the morning as there can be a nasty overnight surprise especially in the downstairs kitchen...

nuked the mother with chaindrite (be sure and clean up the oily bug spray residue!) and then when it ceased to move scooped it up in the dustpan and tossed the carcass into the swamp out back offa the upstairs terrace...

I musta done something to upset santa...

• 2 weeks later...

Our dog just died within two days of falling sick. She was very healthy and lively but suddenly deteriorated and was in pain. The vets were closed for New Year but we managed to find a hospital that was open 24 hours. She died 2 hours later.

The vet said it was toxic poisoning from something such as snake bite or centipede.. Don't know 100% sure if was a centipede, but I haven't seen any snakes here , but there are several of the ugly creatures around here.