Thai Cabinet told to fix worsening plight of poor

webfact

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Ongart said poor people, the majority of the population, were suffering as the cost of living continued to rise.

Something seem not to add up...:whistling:

Thai inflation rate year-to-year is at the moment 0.86% (November 1st), however was less than half percent for several month earlier this year.

Consumer price index is 101.38 (Oct 2016), a year ago it was 100.5, 3-years ago it was 100; i.e. consumer prices has gone up by 1.4% over 3-years. Minimum wage increased not long ago from 300 baht to 305 bat a day, i.e. an increase of 1.66%.

Food inflation 0.4% year-to-year (October 2017), was negative earlier in the year, but was fairly high a few years back under the rice-scheme; core annual inflation rate is 0.58% (November 1st).

Just heard from an Isaan-farmer that the rice paddy price is good this year – the sugar cane and rubber however low – but increased food prices paid to farmers, will in my horizon increasing the prices at the food stalls in streets and on markets; i.e. rising living costs.

:smile:

The only reason any government anywhere would do anything about the poor would be to give them some scraps to prevent them from arriving with pitchforks at the politicians' doors. Thailand's "politicians" got guns, so why bother, let 'em rot.

12 hours ago, robblok said:

Controlling farm product prices is wrong and wont work. Tell farmers to use less pesticides as we read many products are contaminated with them. They would cut cost and save healthof people.

Try changing farmers re educating them for other jobs. Give only the poorest of farmers some money not influence the prices as that helps rich farmers too and creates opportunity for corruption. Like we saw with YL.

As for people getting poorer i am in Ko Lipe at the moment for a holiday been going here for years and have never seen more Thai tourists then now. So some people are certainly doing better than before.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Give it a rest will ya Rob.

We know you don't like the peasants, sorry, farmers. And in an ideal world everyone should work in a factory or office.

I doubt that Thai tourists visiting KL are representative of the people in the OP or the vast majority of the population eking out a crust day to day...

In fact they are probably the small minority that are doing well in Mr. P's economy. And couldn't care less for the "peasants".

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Something seem not to add up...:whistling:

Thai inflation rate year-to-year is at the moment 0.86% (November 1st), however was less than half percent for several month earlier this year.

Consumer price index is 101.38 (Oct 2016), a year ago it was 100.5, 3-years ago it was 100; i.e. consumer prices has gone up by 1.4% over 3-years. Minimum wage increased not long ago from 300 baht to 305 bat a day, i.e. an increase of 1.66%.

Food inflation 0.4% year-to-year (October 2017), was negative earlier in the year, but was fairly high a few years back under the rice-scheme; core annual inflation rate is 0.58% (November 1st).

Just heard from an Isaan-farmer that the rice paddy price is good this year – the sugar cane and rubber however low – but increased food prices paid to farmers, will in my horizon increasing the prices at the food stalls in streets and on markets; i.e. rising living costs.

:smile:

You heard wrong. The price of rice paddy in Isaan is appalling. Try 5k a ton last week at the millers. Appalling.

Back to the OP. Kudos for a Democrat bringing up this subject.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Not rich Thais just a growing middle class that is a good thing for a country.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

And the poor are getting poorer. Which is not a good thing for the country. Do keep up.

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You heard wrong. The price of rice paddy in Isaan is appalling. Try 5k a ton last week at the millers. Appalling.

Back to the OP. Kudos for a Democrat bringing up this subject.

13 baht a kilo, or 13k a ton, if you prefer that. My GF just sold at that price...:smile:
Some years back, before the rice scheme, 8 baht a kilo was said to be a good price.

Edited by khunPer

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

13 baht a kilo, or 13k a ton, if you prefer that. My GF just sold at that price...:smile:
Some years back, before the rice scheme, 8 baht a kilo was said to be a good price.

Some years back farmers were not paying 550 - 600 baht per rai for machine reaping. Saving back breaking manual work is costly, especially when the labour force is now aged, or, has migrated to the cities to hold more consistent employment.

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

Some years back farmers were not paying 550 - 600 baht per rai for machine reaping. Saving back breaking manual work is costly, especially when the labour force is now aged, or, has migrated to the cities to hold more consistent employment.

Where? Steamed or sticky rice?

10 hours ago, khunPer said:

Where? Steamed or sticky rice? Locals here are getting 5-5.5 baht per kg at the millers.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Where? Steamed or sticky rice? Locals here are getting 5-5.5 baht per kg at the millers.

Surin province – I just double-checked with my GF, her rice was sold last week for 14 baht a kilo, but depending of the quality of the rice, the prices last week were in the range of 12 baht per kilo to 14 baht per kilo. My GF's rice was "jasmin" and in very dry quality...:smile:

14 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Surin province – I just double-checked with my GF, her rice was sold last week for 14 baht a kilo, but depending of the quality of the rice, the prices last week were in the range of 12 baht per kilo to 14 baht per kilo. My GF's rice was "jasmin" and in very dry quality...:smile:

Yeah, well here in Udon it was 5 - 5,5 baht per kg last week for std grade sticky and steamed. Only one crop per annum too.

Fortunately for us, but not the vast multitude who have no choice but the one crop per year, we have nothing to do with rice, bar the missus rents her family's land out and gets 20% of the produce.

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, well here in Udon it was 5 - 5,5 baht per kg last week for std grade sticky and steamed. Only one crop per annum too.

Fortunately for us, but not the vast multitude who have no choice but the one crop per year, we have nothing to do with rice, bar the missus rents her family's land out and gets 20% of the produce.

Thanks for your reply. 5,50 baht sound too low to make it worth growing rice, but perhaps conditions are different up North.

Only one annually rice crop also in Surin-area. My GF is also paid in rice, and she has a store house, where she use to keep it in, until the selling price is fair – her mother is the business-expert, and takes care of "selling at the right moment"...:smile:

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply. 5,50 baht sound too low to make it worth growing rice, but perhaps conditions are different up North.

Only one annually rice crop also in Surin-area. My GF is also paid in rice, and she has a store house, where she use to keep it in, until the selling price is fair – her mother is the business-expert, and takes care of "selling at the right moment"...:smile:

Sorry I was wrong.

Last week local farmers were getting 5 baht per kg at the rice millers for sticky rice. Steamed rice was 8 baht.

Either way, terrible prices, and unfortunately, the vast majority of small holders have no choice in selling now, rather than at "the right moment".

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sorry I was wrong.

Last week local farmers were getting 5 baht per kg at the rice millers for sticky rice. Steamed rice was 8 baht.

Either way, terrible prices, and unfortunately, the vast majority of small holders have no choice in selling now, rather than at "the right moment".

In every country The porkey pigs namely the middle man rips off the farmers When you go to the shops you think the farmers are getting a fortune for their products In  Australia  i think farmers are paid by Coles and Woolworths 15 cents per litre for milk  They sell that milk for over a dollar a litre in their supermarkets Its just a nice way of thieving money off the poor They are nothing more than a bunch of greedy pricks and they are the ones the government should be going after But the gov wont because  these are the people keeping the junta in power so they can be greedy pricks