Nationalists facing wipe out in Australian state election

webfact

Nationalists facing wipe out in Australian state election

By Jonathan Barrett and Alison Bevege

tag_reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Australian senator Pauline Hanson talks with members of the media at a driving safety event in the northern Australian town of Townsville in Queensland, Australia, November 10, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Barrett

SYDNEY (Reuters) - The resurgence of Australian nationalist politics has been halted at a state election in coal-rich Queensland, with Pauline Hanson's One Nation party at risk of being almost completely wiped from the state assembly.

Australia's centre-left Labor party is leading in the tight race after three-quarters of votes were counted following Saturday's poll, while Hanson's party has yet to confirm victory in a single seat.

The official result may not be known for several days although political analysts believe Labor will win the 47 seats it needs to govern in Queensland 93-seat assembly, a result that would allow it to form a government without support from independents or minor parties.

"I am confident of a Labor majority," Queensland's Labor Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told reporters on Sunday.

Hanson, a senator in the federal parliament, had anticipated a surge in support in her electoral heartland, to give momentum to the resurgence her anti-immigration, populist party enjoyed in the national election last year.

But despite attracting support from around 14 percent of voters, One Nation has not recorded decisive victories in individual seats. It is tipped to win just one seat in state parliament, according to analysis by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

Griffith University political analyst Paul Williams said despite a lack of seats, Hanson's party had likely polled higher than 20 per cent in some regional seats.

"All the anger, the disenchantment, the bitterness, the resentment to the major parties and elites, it's still as strong as it was 12 months ago," he told Reuters by telephone on Sunday.

The election has been held in one of Australia's powerhouse mining states with debate over a A$16.5 billion (£9.4 billion) coal mine, rail and port project proposed by Indian energy giant Adani Enterprises dominating much of the campaign.

While both major parties support the Queensland resources project, Labor has vowed to veto a near billion-dollar concessional loan Adani has asked Australiato provide for the proposed rail line, should it win government. The conservative opposition Liberal National Party, which the ABC forecasts will win 41 seats, supports the government loan.

Hanson had been hoping her party would hold the balance-of-power in Queensland, and with it the ability to decide who the next premier would be.

As the results rolled in late on Saturday, she told reporters in Buderim, an urban centre near Queensland's coast, that while disappointed with some of the emerging numbers, the fight would go on.

"I think this is a clear indication that One Nation is not going anywhere, we are going to be around for a while yet," Hanson said.

(Reporting by Alison Bevege and Jonathan Barrett in Sydney; Editing by Jeremy Gaunt and Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-27

Pauline Hanson is a poisonous <deleted>, who is the absolute antithesis of the Australian "giving people a fair go" mentality. I will be happy to see One Nation sink without trace.

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

I wish it was such good news. Although One Nation will win between 0 and 1 seat in the Queensland State parliament on present numbers the percentage of votes the "Party" received was 21% of the votes in seat inb which they ran candidates. This could possibly give them 3 senators from Queensland in a general election. I choose to put "Party" in quotations as they seems to fall apart pretty quickly once elected. What a disparate lot of <deleted>. Why anyone falls for the non-policy disruptive (even destructive) agenda I can only weep at.

Perhaps because she says what a lot of people think, but they are afraid to speak out because of the left leaning media, politicians eager to garner votes and political correct speech. Twenty percent of the voting public, in a country that has compulsory voting, is a big group of people. 

Spend a lot of time in Queensland and you will see just how popular she is, particularly with older people. 

Perhaps because she says what a lot of people think, but they are afraid to speak out because of the left leaning media, politicians eager to garner votes and political correct speech. Twenty percent of the voting public, in a country that has compulsory voting, is a big group of people. 
Spend a lot of time in Queensland and you will see just how popular she is, particularly with older people. 

A sad indictment of some Australians.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"A sad indictment of some Australians"

Depends on your viewpoint I guess. As with politicians in England, Europe, and perhaps US, I see it more as an indictment on their eagerness to embrace multi-culturalism, political correctness etc all in the pursuit of votes. Those who vote for nationalists just don't see their views being represented any more and see, what they perceive to be, the ruination of their country.You can hardly blame them for their reaction to being ignored. 

The two major parties in this election most likely exchanged preference votes to deny that 20% their representation in parliament. Yet more evidence that Nationlists views are ignored. 

"A sad indictment of some Australians"

Depends on your viewpoint I guess. As with politicians in England, Europe, and perhaps US, I see it more as an indictment on their eagerness to embrace multi-culturalism, political correctness etc all in the pursuit of votes. Those who vote for nationalists just don't see their views being represented any more and see, what they perceive to be, the ruination of their country.You can hardly blame them for their reaction to being ignored. 

The two major parties in this election most likely exchanged preference votes to deny that 20% their representation in parliament. Yet more evidence that Nationlists views are ignored. 

Bigoted, racist views should be ignored. We don't want another Adolf Hitler elected.

You are drawing a very long bow citing Hitler, a proven genocidal maniac. None of the nationalist politicians in Oz that I can recall have suggested killing people of a different culture/faith  tho I do recall a number of representatives of some cultures that have made such suggestions. Perhaps you should give these folk your '"racist" lecture ? 

You are drawing a very long bow citing Hitler, a proven genocidal maniac. None of the nationalist politicians in Oz that I can recall have suggested killing people of a different culture/faith  tho I do recall a number of representatives of some cultures that have made such suggestions. Perhaps you should give these folk your '"racist" lecture ? 

When Hitler was democratically elected he wasn't elected on a platform of genocide. Nationalism is however a breeding ground for such views and is best ignored or fought.

2 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

Neither did Hitler suggest killing people before he was elected, just the same nationalist bile that this lot speak.

As an outsider I have to ask.

Is it usual policy in Australia for contractors when bidding to demand a loan to complete their bid?

In the States there are more often than not terms stipulating tax breaks or whatever, but I can't think of any such large projects that asked outright for a loan.

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

Well, if she's popular particularly with older people, that doesn't augur well for her political future.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

I really can't understand why any Australian votes for this ignorant stupid racist.

Because that is the freedom of a democracy and I would not have Australia any other way. If you do not like a candidate in any election then you do not have to vote for them you have the right to decide what candidate you want to vote for. But one thing I do not like is when slurs are put on anyone who votes for any political party that another person does not like. To me that is bigotry and my grandfather fought in World War 1 and my father fought in World War 2 to give everybody in Australia the freedom to make their own decision without any pressure or insults or slurs put on people with different political beliefs. I have my political beliefs as do most other people and to me those political beliefs are a private thing.

"just the same nationalist bile that this lot speak."

I have trouble tho seeing the difference between their "bile" and the "bile" from other religions/cultures who openly display enmity towards others not of their beliefs yet seem to avoid any criticism. Killing non-believers or those who decide to leave your cultural group is surely not to be approved of. 

I call on the moderators of this thread to close this because I find that some of the remarks that are made on here an abuse and an insult of what my grandfather and father fought for during the wars. Peoples political views are a private matter and by leaving this thread open then it will only lead to abuse from one person to another because of the different political views

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

I live in QLD. Yes you are correct bigoted older people with attitude which my Thai wife regularly experiences.

People afraid to express their opinions - LOL - atypical populist right wing BS.

Hanson's trade policies, as an example, make no sense whatsoever - 'morons' is an apt one word description for One Nation.

Hanson won approx 350,000 direct votes from roughly 3,000,000 registered voters in QLD. She now needs to shut up after all her arrogant boasts for success in the 2017 QLD State Election.

Edited by simple1

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

I live in QLD. Yes you are correct bigoted older people with attitude which my Thai wife regularly experiences.

Hanson's trade policies, as an example, make no sense whatsoever - 'morons' is an apt one word description for One Nation. She now needs to shut up after all her arrogant boasts for success in the 2017 QLD State Election.

What name do you call the Liberals, What name do you call Labour, What name do you call the National party, What names do you call all the Independents. You have the hide to call the older people "bigoted" because they do not have the same political beliefs that you have. Just remember that a lot of those older people fought to give you the right to vote for whoever you want to. You are the bigot against these older people that you have no respect for.

26 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Because that is the freedom of a democracy and I would not have Australia any other way. If you do not like a candidate in any election then you do not have to vote for them you have the right to decide what candidate you want to vote for. But one thing I do not like is when slurs are put on anyone who votes for any political party that another person does not like. To me that is bigotry and my grandfather fought in World War 1 and my father fought in World War 2 to give everybody in Australia the freedom to make their own decision without any pressure or insults or slurs put on people with different political beliefs. I have my political beliefs as do most other people and to me those political beliefs are a private thing.

If they're a private thing, why air them on an open forum?

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You are the bigot against these older people that you have no respect for.

Correct, I have  no respect for people who disrespect my wife just because she looks Asian - why do you respect such people?

30 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"just the same nationalist bile that this lot speak."

I have trouble tho seeing the difference between their "bile" and the "bile" from other religions/cultures who openly display enmity towards others not of their beliefs yet seem to avoid any criticism. Killing non-believers or those who decide to leave your cultural group is surely not to be approved of. 

The bile is similar to religious extremists for sure, but obviously they do not avoid criticism, that is just ridiculous, we criticise Islamic extremism all the time, I don't think there is any aspect in any religion that is criticised more than extremism in Islam.  The criticism is also found coming from Muslims, the largest Muslim pilgrimage, the pilgrimage of Arbaeen, has in recent years become a protest against Islamic extremism, last year 20 million Muslims were there protesting ISIS, turning this pilgrimage into the worlds largest political protest in history, if that is not criticism then what is?