Hua Hin Electricity and Water Rates Question

Schnitzel von Crumb

Hi All,

About to sign a long term lease in an estate 20 mins out of Hua Hin. Utilities are charged by the estate at electricity per unit is 6 THB; water is charged at 40 THB/unit.

How does this compare to a direct government rate with PEA for instance?

Thanks for any advice or input.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I live in Hua Hin & pay the utilities direct. Electricity works out about B4.2/unit & water about B4.8/unit. As the previous poster said, your qouted rate for electric seems high & the water rate makes no sense unless they’re using a different unit measure. My monthly water bill is about B100.

Electricity bill charge will depend on which tariff the property is on. That is what supply you have, single phase or three phase. There is a cost per unit, an admin charge, a fuel surcharge (this is that part of the PEA generation  which uses oil and not natural gas and then VAT at 7%

Each month there is a varying rebate of less than 200 but not sure what for.

I have three phase and use around a 1000 units per month for which the unit cost is around ThB 4.32  calculated by deviding the actual bill by the number of units connsumed.

Water, I can't say because I never get a bill (old meter not modern 'smart' meter) Bills are paid through a bank who get the bill from PEA.

Yeah I’d like to do that however the estate has a supply up to the gates then it’s all privately distributed on their underground cables to the homes. Hence their ability to on charge the electricity...

I’m on Samui now and pay 4.5 per unit doing the same divided cost by unit method and it does show the rebate but not sure what that’s from either.

Yeah will have to check the water as that looks insane!

Thanks for all the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Tell them to install a meter and say you will pay at Bt 4.50 a unit.

If he is on an estate with maintenance, annual fees, etc. He cannot ask for a separate meter. PEA will not fit it. The meters belong to whomever owns the common ground, be it the developer or management company. By common ground I mean the main roadway through, any gardens etc. The extra rate is to cover things such as street lights, and maintenance of the transformers etc. Which, although the PEA do not own, insist on making any repairs....for a charge. Presumbably a safety precaution, though I am a little optimistic about that here.

As for water, we went over to Pranburi water several months ago, and our monthly bill is around 200 Baht. But that is running a 40 square metre pool too. Much cleaner than town water !!!!

29 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

If he is on an estate with maintenance, annual fees, etc. He cannot ask for a separate meter. PEA will not fit it. The meters belong to whomever owns the common ground, be it the developer or management company. By common ground I mean the main roadway through, any gardens etc. The extra rate is to cover things such as street lights, and maintenance of the transformers etc. Which, although the PEA do not own, insist on making any repairs....for a charge. Presumbably a safety precaution, though I am a little optimistic about that here.

As for water, we went over to Pranburi water several months ago, and our monthly bill is around 200 Baht. But that is running a 40 square metre pool too. Much cleaner than town water !!!!

As said, they are private meters and the owners can charge what they like.  They will pay the PEA tariff for the electricity supplied to the development but beyond that he will charge the properties separately.  

40 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I also used to pay extortionate fees for my water through the developer. Like AfFarangJa, I went over to Pranburi Water around 18 months ago. Not only is the water quality far superior, I've probably reduced my bill by 500%.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:04 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

I have three phase and use around a 1000 units per month for which the unit cost is around ThB 4.32  calculated by deviding the actual bill by the number of units connsumed.

It doesn't quite work like that.  Unit price increases the more you use.  i.e. the first number of units are at one price and the unit price increases when using more than that.  

For example:

• First 15 kWh (1st – 15th ) 1.8632 Baht/kWh.
  • Next 10 kWh (16th – 25th ) 2.5026 Baht/kWh.
  • Next 10 kWh (26th – 35th ) 2.7549 Baht/kWh.
  • Next 65 kWh (36th – 100th ) 3.1381 Baht/kWh.
  • Next 50 kWh (101st – 150th ) 3.2315 Baht/kWh.
  • Next 250kWh (151st – 400th ) ...
  • Over 400 kWh (up from 401st)

and so on.