Is there any gas station in BKK where can can refill ourself?

mortem

4 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Please keep in your mind, that the gasoline in the pump's tank is quite cool and in your car it will warm up and expand. So filling to the utmost top is not always the best choice.

True, but being slightly ignorant I've never had a problem. It could be that I use half a litre driving back home from the petrol station which gives a bit of room. 

2 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

The pre-payment i have an issue with. I always fill the tank - less visits / going out of my way to the station - but how do you know how much it will be. Same problem at some stations in England , at night you must pay before you pump.

If you're not filling up your tank to full, whatever amount you want. If you know your car and it's fuel tank capacity, you should be able to estimate. Otherwise you have to make a deposit in excess of the amount you expect to refuel, then get  a refund for the excess amount after refuelling. This works fine for cash payments, but if you pay by credit card you can only be refunded in cash. So you would be charged 2000 Baht on your credit card for a fuel bill of say 1450 Baht, with 550 refunded in cash. Why they don't just hold onto your credit card and charge it after you've finished refuelling is a mystery to me. It seems like they absolutely don't trust drivers here to pay later - is there really a higher chance of fuel theft than in the USA for example? Although I should note that most gas stations in America now require pre-payment too, unlike in decades past. Theft of anything in Thailand seems far less of a problem than in many western countries  yet when it comes to self-service petrol stations here, they are paranoid, similar to Malaysia.

On 28/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

Never seen one. LoS is still into the personal touch.

If you're asking them to fill it, do they understand? If I'm on my own, I'll ask for so many baht's worth; if my wife or son are with me, I'll have it filled up.

I usually ask in my mangled Thai for tem tank and they fill it to the top for me. I also get out of my pickup truck and check the meter before they start and count my change afterwards.

Alternatively like you I will ask for so many bahts worth.

I find it easy to do so.

I also say thank you afterwards and give a smile which is mostly returned.

I fill when the light comes on.

Since the only convenient filling station on my route to work is on the in-bound side I fill up there in the morning.

I don't want to smell of diesel all day.

• Pull in to station and up to pump (like the locals I don't stop the engine).
  • Pull the filler lever.
  • Open passenger window (filler is on the left of the Mu-X).
  • "Diesel, tem-tang"
  • Wait a bit.
  • Hand over AmEx card.
  • Reset trip meter whilst they process the card.
  • Check the slip against the pump reading and sign.
  • Exit
  • Repeat next time the light comes on.

Arrive at work not smelling (of diesel). I really wonder why one would like to do your own fill. When I started driving (not that long ago) self-serve was the exception not the rule.

Yes, I do get the occasional short fill, but it costs nothing does it?

Do the self-serve places provide "fill it for you" service? Is the fuel there any cheaper?

On 11/30/2017 at 5:04 PM, Crossy said:

Since the only convenient filling station on my route to work is on the in-bound side I fill up there in the morning.

I don't want to smell of diesel all day.

• Pull in to station and up to pump (like the locals I don't stop the engine).
  • Pull the filler lever.
  • Open passenger window (filler is on the left of the Mu-X).
  • "Diesel, tem-tang"
  • Wait a bit.
  • Hand over AmEx card.
  • Reset trip meter whilst they process the card.
  • Check the slip against the pump reading and sign.
  • Exit
  • Repeat next time the light comes on.

Arrive at work not smelling (of diesel). I really wonder why one would like to do your own fill. When I started driving (not that long ago) self-serve was the exception not the rule.

Yes, I do get the occasional short fill, but it costs nothing does it?

Do the self-serve places provide "fill it for you" service? Is the fuel there any cheaper?

In an increasing number of countries worldwide, self-serve is the norm; wages are too high to hire employees to do something a customer can do themselves. Thailand will eventually go the same way, I give it 5-10 years before self-serve starts to become the "norm" and another 5 years after that for all but the most remote service stations to offer only self-service.

I never smell of diesel when I fill up my tank. That only happens if you spill fuel over your hand or clothing - something which is easily avoided.

No. You have to fill up the tank yourself - otherwise it would be redundant to have self-service. Customers unable, or unwilling to fill their own tanks can simply move on to the next service station, which in Thailand is probably only 50-100m down the road.

As I've already stated, self-service is 0.20-0.60 Baht per liter cheaper than full service service stations.

3 minutes ago, jimster said:

In an increasing number of countries worldwide, self-serve is the norm; wages are too high to hire employees to do something a customer can do themselves

I have no argument of what is happening, I just don't agree with it.

For the 12 - 40 Baht a week it's costing me, I'll stick to having my tank filled, I prefer full-service airlines too.

For the one asking, my car in an old Audi A8. This is why it has a large gas tank.

For the one wondering if it is dangerous to fully fill the gas tank, no it is not since you have the EVAP system to take the fumes of the gas to re-inject them in the air intake of the engine. This kind of technology exists since the 1990's, maybe earlier.

Also if you fill to the top but in the right way you will not spill out so it will not be messy.

I want fill to the max in order to accurately know my gas usage. If one time I am at 93% full and the other time at 98%, I would not be able to know the actual gas usage of my car.

On 11/28/2017 at 4:44 AM, NanLaew said:

What sort of tank do you have? Challenger?... M1 Abrams? The old Panzerkampfwagen was a bit of a bugger at the pumps and my old mate Otto used to have to tap on the fuel gauge for simply ages before the bloody thing worked properly.

BTW, he always claimed his gauge was not off too.

My wife wants me to take my truck to Thailand, if we move permanently.  

How much would it cost to fill a 117 liter fuel tank?

On 11/30/2017 at 5:04 PM, Crossy said:

Always good practice, with fuel injected engines, to fill when tank half empty.

The fuel pump is in the tank, and keeping it submerged in fuel helps it run cooler.

A cooler pump will last longer.