Is there any gas station in BKK where can can refill ourself?

mortem

Hi All,

I don't know for you but I am getting sick about each time I go to a gas station for a full gas fill, I always see 1 or 2 grove are missing on my gauge, meaning around 5L on my car.

Is there any (good) gas station such as Esso or Shell in Bangkok where I can refill myself so I ensure that I fill up, it is really full?

Thanks

PS: No PTT for me

Yes in BKK but they are PTT.  Suggest you get out of the car and watch. When they think it is full tell them another 5 litre. But don't complain if they spill which is why they let the pump do it. Attendants have been beaten up for spilling petrol of punk's mocy.

Edited by VocalNeal

9 hours ago, mortem said:

Owww, that sucks if only PTT. Will try next time to check with them to refill to the real max of the car in Esso or Shell gas stations.

Please video and post your first proper fill up ...☺

Plus some of the hidden un(der)employment of Thailand would no longer be hidden ...

Lesson: You should be grateful that your high'nmighty status sitting comfortably in your limo allows a handful of serfs to earn a few miserable pennies. Stop complaining!

So many stupid childish answers and few useful one.

Thanks to the ones who provided useful answers. To the others...

BTW my gauge is not off: we all know that when the auto-refill at the gas station click, it does because of bubbles made by the gas during th refill. Then they had 20 THB to round the number.

On a tank like mine (90L), it can make a huge difference. For example one of my friend had a Ranger with 80L tank. And after the refill was done, he get out if his car and told it was not full. He finished the refill by himself and added 13L!!!

In my motherland, I had a tank of 42L and was usually adding 5-6L after the click of the auto-refill.

When I ask for a full refill, I don't like having a partial one. This also helps to properly monitor my gas mileage.

5 minutes ago, mortem said:

Thanks to the ones who provided useful answers. To the others...

BTW my gauge is not off: we all know that when the auto-refill at the gas station click, it does because of bubbles made by the gas during th refill. Then they had 20 THB to round the number.

On a tank like mine (90L), it can make a huge difference. For example one of my friend had a Ranger with 80L tank. And after the refill was done, he get out if his car and told it was not full. He finished the refill by himself and added 13L!!!

In my motherland, I had a tank of 42L and was usually adding 5-6L after the click of the auto-refill.

When I ask for a full refill, I don't like having a partial one. This also helps to properly monitor my gas mileage.

What sort of tank do you have? Challenger?... M1 Abrams? The old Panzerkampfwagen was a bit of a bugger at the pumps and my old mate Otto used to have to tap on the fuel gauge for simply ages before the bloody thing worked properly.

BTW, he always claimed his gauge was not off too.

20 hours ago, mortem said:

Owww, that sucks if only PTT. Will try next time to check with them to refill to the real max of the car in Esso or Shell gas stations.

Not only PTT, also BangChak. But there are only a handful of self-serve stations in either case.

1 hour ago, mortem said:

Childish ?  Full serve does not fill your tank the way you want. So fill it yourself.

If you can speak Thai I am sure you can get your point across. If you can not, only option is to deal with it one of two ways.

Mountain out of a mole hill anyway.

If you want to know the locations of these self-serve stations, search in Thai on Facebook or Google for "self-serve petrol stations" or "PTT self-serve" "Bang Chak self-serve" etc. ตำแหน่งปั๊มป์เติมเองกรุงเทพฯ

Here are 26 self-service Bang Chak locations nationwide (in Thai, with English translation) as of 2012 (note there may be more than this now):

รายชื่อปั๊มเติมเอง Self Serve เติมเองได้ส่วนลดทันที 30 สต.ต่อลิตร ใกล้ที่ไหนไปที่นั่นนะครับ

1. ปั๊มบางจากซอยพหลโยธิน 48 จ.กรุงเทพฯ Soi 48 Phahonyothin Road, Bangkok

2. ปั๊มบางจากซอยเพชรเกษม 56  จ.กรุงเทพฯ ใกล้ศูนย์รถโตโยต้าสาขาบางแค Soi 56 Petchkasem Road, Bangkok, near Toyota Bang Khae

3. ปั๊มบางจากซอยโยธินพัฒนา จ.กรุงเทพฯ ถนนคู่ขนานเอกมัย-รามอินทรา เข้าซอยโยธินพัฒนาไปเล็กน้อย Soi Yothin Pattana, Frontage Road Ekkamai-Raminthra

4. ปั๊มบางจากซอยวิภาวดี 60 จ.กรุงเทพฯ จากถนนวิภาวดีขาเข้า เข้าซอยวิภาวดี 60 ประมาณ 0.6 กม. Soi Wiphawadee 60, Bangkok, inbound, around 600m inside soi 60

5.  ปั๊มบางจากถนนพระราม 3 จ.กรุงเทพฯ ใกล้สถานี BRT วัดดอกไม้ Rama 3 road, near BRT Wat Dokmai station

6. ปั๊มบางจากถนนพิบูลย์สงคราม จ.กรุงเทพฯ อยู่ระหว่างซอยพิบูลย์สงคราม 9 กับซอยพิบูลย์สงคราม 11Thanon Phibun Songkhram between sois 9 and 11

7. ปั๊มบางจากเพิ่มสิน จ.กรุงเทพฯ อยู่ในซอยประชาสงเคราะห์ 27 ใกล้มหาวิทยาลัยหอการค้าไทย Phermsin, on Soi Prachasongkhro 27 near the Chamber of Commerce University (Din Daeng district)

8.  ปั๊มบางจากสุขุมวิท 101/1 จ.กรุงเทพ เข้าซอยสุขุมวิท 101/1 ประมาณ 700 เมตร Sukhumwit Soi 101/1 around 700m inside the Soi

9. ปั๊มบางจากสุขาภิบาล 1 จ.กรุงเทพฯ บนถนนสุขาภิบาล 1 นวมินทร์ Sukhabhiban 1 road

10. ปั๊มบางจากเอกชัย จ.กรุงเทพฯ อยู่บนถนนเอกชัย เลยธนาคารเพื่อการเกษตรฯไปประมาณ 600 เมตร Ekkamai 600m beyond the agricultural bank

11. ปั๊มบางจากซอยเรวดี  จ.นนทบุรี Soi Rewdee Nonthaburi

12. ปั๊มบางจากถนนบางกรวย-ไทรน้อย จ.นนทบุรี Thanon Bang Khruay-Sai Noi, Nonthaburi

13. ปั๊มบางจากเทิดพระเกียรติ จ.นนทบุรี อยู่ในซอยเทิดพระเกียรติอยู่ใกล้กับโรงพยาบาลอนันต์พัฒนา 2 Thoed Phra Kiat Nonthaburi , inside the soi near the Ananphattana Hospital 2

14. ปั๊มบางจากถนนพัฒนสัมพันธ์ จ.ปทุมธานี Thanon Phattana Samphan, Pathum Thani

15. ปั๊มบางจากหนามแดง จ.สมุทรปราการ อยู่ในซอยหนามแดง เข้าจากถนนศรีนครินทร์ประมาณ 0.6 กม. Nam Daeng Samut Prakan, Inside Soi Nam Daeng 600m from Sri Nakharin Road

16. ปั๊มบางจากวัดด่านสำโรง จ.สมุทรปราการ อยู่ในซอยวัดด่าน (ซอยสุขุมวิท 113) เข้าจากถนนศรีนครินทร์ประมาณ 2.4 กม. Wat Dan Samrong, Samut Prakan, inside Soi Wat Dan Sukhumwit 113, 2.4km from Sri Nakharin Road

17. ปั๊มบางจากถนนทรงพล นครปฐม จ.นครปฐม Songphol, Nakorn Pathom

18. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเอกชัย จ.สมุทรสาคร อยู่เยื้องสถานีไฟฟ้าส่วนภูมิภาคสมุทรสาคร 3 ประมาณ 0.6 กม. Thanon Ekachai, Samut Sakhorn, diagonally opposite to the local electricity sub-station Samut Sakorn 3, around 600m away

19. ปั๊มบางจากถนนบรมไตรโลกนารถ 2  จ.พิษณุโลก Thanon Boromtriloknarot 2, Phitsanulok

20. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเจริญเมือง เยื้องที่ทำการไปรษณีย์เชียงใหม่ประมาณ 300 ม.  จ.เชียงใหม่ Charoenmuang diagonally opposite the Chiang Mai post office, around 300m away

21. ปั๊มบางจากถนนราชเชียงแสน จ.เชียงใหม่ Thanon Racha Chiang Saen, Chiang Mai

22. ปั๊มบางจากถนนชลประทาน จ.เชียงใหม่ จากสี่แยกถนนห้วยแก้วมาประมาณ 400 เมตร เยื้องโรงแรมเชียงใหม่ภูคำ Thanon Cholprathan Chiang Mai, around 400m from the Huay Kaew intersection, diagonally opposite Chiang Mai Phu Kham hotel

23. ปั๊มบางจากพญาเสือ จ.พิษณุโลก อยู่บนถนนพญาเสือ เยื้องโรงเรียนผดุงราษฏร์ ก่อนถึงวัดอรัญญิก Phayaleu road, Phitsanulok, diagonally opposite Phadung Rat school, before Aranyik temple (Wat)

24. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเหล่านาดี จ.ขอนแก่น ตรงข้ามสนามกีฬาจังหวัดขอนแก่น Thanon Lao Nadi, Khon Kaen, opposite the Khon Kaen sports stadium

25. ปั๊มบางจากถนนมะลิวัลย์ จ.ขอนแก่น เยื้องทางเข้าสนามบินขอนแก่น Thanon Maliwan, Khon Kaen, Diagonally opposite the entrance to Khon Kaen airport

26. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเพชรเกษม หาดใหญ่ จ.สงขลา ห่างจากที่ทำการอำเภอหาดใหญ่ประมาณ 400 เมตร Petchkasem Road, Hat Yai, Songkhla, 400m from the district office of Hat Yai

There is a PTT self-serve petrol station on Sri Nakharin road, opposite Seacon Square. There are also at least 30 more in other locations throughout Bangkok and upcountry.

I think it's only a matter of time before self-service becomes the norm here, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. It somehow doesn't make sense that petrol stations hire sometimes 15-20 people, many from Myanmar or Cambodia to do a job that motorists can do themselves. It also makes fuel a little cheaper, self-service petrol stations generally sell fuel at a 0.20-0.60 (average 0.30 Baht) per liter discount compared to operator assisted petrol stations.

In Malaysia, the vast majority of petrol stations nationwide are self-service, including those located right up at the Thai border. Like their Malaysian counterparts, Thai self-service stations require pre-payment in all cases.

Edited by jimster

I always to have tank full (Tem Tank) and yes I can speak some Thai but some gas station don't want allow you to refill yourself (safety policy) and also don't accept when you want them to top up (maybe because they would lose face?!?).

Thanks for the tips for the gas stations. I will try checking for those ones.

Your lucky, that they dont fill it. I hate it when they try to get an extra baht in my tank, and have gas or diesel spilled all over. I just put a thousand in the truck and hundred in the bike, even then, they sometimes try to get a bit more in. Another plus by giving the exact change, is not waiting till they wander around the station, before bring back your change.  

2 hours ago, jimster said:

If you want to know the locations of these self-serve stations, search in Thai on Facebook or Google for "self-serve petrol stations" or "PTT self-serve" "Bang Chak self-serve" etc. ตำแหน่งปั๊มป์เติมเองกรุงเทพฯ

Here are 26 self-service Bang Chak locations nationwide (in Thai, with English translation) as of 2012 (note there may be more than this now):

รายชื่อปั๊มเติมเอง Self Serve เติมเองได้ส่วนลดทันที 30 สต.ต่อลิตร ใกล้ที่ไหนไปที่นั่นนะครับ

1. ปั๊มบางจากซอยพหลโยธิน 48 จ.กรุงเทพฯ Soi 48 Phahonyothin Road, Bangkok

2. ปั๊มบางจากซอยเพชรเกษม 56  จ.กรุงเทพฯ ใกล้ศูนย์รถโตโยต้าสาขาบางแค Soi 56 Petchkasem Road, Bangkok, near Toyota Bang Khae

3. ปั๊มบางจากซอยโยธินพัฒนา จ.กรุงเทพฯ ถนนคู่ขนานเอกมัย-รามอินทรา เข้าซอยโยธินพัฒนาไปเล็กน้อย Soi Yothin Pattana, Frontage Road Ekkamai-Raminthra

4. ปั๊มบางจากซอยวิภาวดี 60 จ.กรุงเทพฯ จากถนนวิภาวดีขาเข้า เข้าซอยวิภาวดี 60 ประมาณ 0.6 กม. Soi Wiphawadee 60, Bangkok, inbound, around 600m inside soi 60

5.  ปั๊มบางจากถนนพระราม 3 จ.กรุงเทพฯ ใกล้สถานี BRT วัดดอกไม้ Rama 3 road, near BRT Wat Dokmai station

6. ปั๊มบางจากถนนพิบูลย์สงคราม จ.กรุงเทพฯ อยู่ระหว่างซอยพิบูลย์สงคราม 9 กับซอยพิบูลย์สงคราม 11Thanon Phibun Songkhram between sois 9 and 11

7. ปั๊มบางจากเพิ่มสิน จ.กรุงเทพฯ อยู่ในซอยประชาสงเคราะห์ 27 ใกล้มหาวิทยาลัยหอการค้าไทย Phermsin, on Soi Prachasongkhro 27 near the Chamber of Commerce University (Din Daeng district)

8.  ปั๊มบางจากสุขุมวิท 101/1 จ.กรุงเทพ เข้าซอยสุขุมวิท 101/1 ประมาณ 700 เมตร Sukhumwit Soi 101/1 around 700m inside the Soi

9. ปั๊มบางจากสุขาภิบาล 1 จ.กรุงเทพฯ บนถนนสุขาภิบาล 1 นวมินทร์ Sukhabhiban 1 road

10. ปั๊มบางจากเอกชัย จ.กรุงเทพฯ อยู่บนถนนเอกชัย เลยธนาคารเพื่อการเกษตรฯไปประมาณ 600 เมตร Ekkamai 600m beyond the agricultural bank

11. ปั๊มบางจากซอยเรวดี  จ.นนทบุรี Soi Rewdee Nonthaburi

12. ปั๊มบางจากถนนบางกรวย-ไทรน้อย จ.นนทบุรี Thanon Bang Khruay-Sai Noi, Nonthaburi

13. ปั๊มบางจากเทิดพระเกียรติ จ.นนทบุรี อยู่ในซอยเทิดพระเกียรติอยู่ใกล้กับโรงพยาบาลอนันต์พัฒนา 2 Thoed Phra Kiat Nonthaburi , inside the soi near the Ananphattana Hospital 2

14. ปั๊มบางจากถนนพัฒนสัมพันธ์ จ.ปทุมธานี Thanon Phattana Samphan, Pathum Thani

15. ปั๊มบางจากหนามแดง จ.สมุทรปราการ อยู่ในซอยหนามแดง เข้าจากถนนศรีนครินทร์ประมาณ 0.6 กม. Nam Daeng Samut Prakan, Inside Soi Nam Daeng 600m from Sri Nakharin Road

16. ปั๊มบางจากวัดด่านสำโรง จ.สมุทรปราการ อยู่ในซอยวัดด่าน (ซอยสุขุมวิท 113) เข้าจากถนนศรีนครินทร์ประมาณ 2.4 กม. Wat Dan Samrong, Samut Prakan, inside Soi Wat Dan Sukhumwit 113, 2.4km from Sri Nakharin Road

17. ปั๊มบางจากถนนทรงพล นครปฐม จ.นครปฐม Songphol, Nakorn Pathom

18. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเอกชัย จ.สมุทรสาคร อยู่เยื้องสถานีไฟฟ้าส่วนภูมิภาคสมุทรสาคร 3 ประมาณ 0.6 กม. Thanon Ekachai, Samut Sakhorn, diagonally opposite to the local electricity sub-station Samut Sakorn 3, around 600m away

19. ปั๊มบางจากถนนบรมไตรโลกนารถ 2  จ.พิษณุโลก Thanon Boromtriloknarot 2, Phitsanulok

20. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเจริญเมือง เยื้องที่ทำการไปรษณีย์เชียงใหม่ประมาณ 300 ม.  จ.เชียงใหม่ Charoenmuang diagonally opposite the Chiang Mai post office, around 300m away

21. ปั๊มบางจากถนนราชเชียงแสน จ.เชียงใหม่ Thanon Racha Chiang Saen, Chiang Mai

22. ปั๊มบางจากถนนชลประทาน จ.เชียงใหม่ จากสี่แยกถนนห้วยแก้วมาประมาณ 400 เมตร เยื้องโรงแรมเชียงใหม่ภูคำ Thanon Cholprathan Chiang Mai, around 400m from the Huay Kaew intersection, diagonally opposite Chiang Mai Phu Kham hotel

23. ปั๊มบางจากพญาเสือ จ.พิษณุโลก อยู่บนถนนพญาเสือ เยื้องโรงเรียนผดุงราษฏร์ ก่อนถึงวัดอรัญญิก Phayaleu road, Phitsanulok, diagonally opposite Phadung Rat school, before Aranyik temple (Wat)

24. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเหล่านาดี จ.ขอนแก่น ตรงข้ามสนามกีฬาจังหวัดขอนแก่น Thanon Lao Nadi, Khon Kaen, opposite the Khon Kaen sports stadium

25. ปั๊มบางจากถนนมะลิวัลย์ จ.ขอนแก่น เยื้องทางเข้าสนามบินขอนแก่น Thanon Maliwan, Khon Kaen, Diagonally opposite the entrance to Khon Kaen airport

26. ปั๊มบางจากถนนเพชรเกษม หาดใหญ่ จ.สงขลา ห่างจากที่ทำการอำเภอหาดใหญ่ประมาณ 400 เมตร Petchkasem Road, Hat Yai, Songkhla, 400m from the district office of Hat Yai

There is a PTT self-serve petrol station on Sri Nakharin road, opposite Seacon Square. There are also at least 30 more in other locations throughout Bangkok and upcountry.

I think it's only a matter of time before self-service becomes the norm here, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. It somehow doesn't make sense that petrol stations hire sometimes 15-20 people, many from Myanmar or Cambodia to do a job that motorists can do themselves. It also makes fuel a little cheaper, self-service petrol stations generally sell fuel at a 0.20-0.60 (average 0.30 Baht) per liter discount compared to operator assisted petrol stations.

In Malaysia, the vast majority of petrol stations nationwide are self-service, including those located right up at the Thai border. Like their Malaysian counterparts, Thai self-service stations require pre-payment in all cases.

The pre-payment i have an issue with. I always fill the tank - less visits / going out of my way to the station - but how do you know how much it will be. Same problem at some stations in England , at night you must pay before you pump.

2 hours ago, mortem said:

I always to have tank full (Tem Tank) and yes I can speak some Thai but some gas station don't want allow you to refill yourself (safety policy) and also don't accept when you want them to top up (maybe because they would lose face?!?).

Thanks for the tips for the gas stations. I will try checking for those ones.

You are lucky ... sometimes they try and put more in and I have to tell them to just press the button ... don't want it bubbling out ... by the way what is the latest on you non-floating car ... was it that black BM, I seem to recall that  you recently bought one ..if so it did look nice ...

Unless you're very busy, and don't have time to go to the fuel station again, why worry? You only  pay for the amount of fuel you actually get, so if the tank is only 95% full you just pay what's on the meter, and fill up again a few kilometres sooner..... never mind. 

Oh and also a slightly lighter tank gives you slightly better fuel economy.

Or am I missing something here? :ermm:

Edited by VBF